The Rush Thread

Dance the Crunge

How is that? Nothing the matter with Rush these days but All the World's A Stage captures them in their prime.

Oh, and funny how you'd make a crack about the Drive-By Truckers' audience having mullets (which is a crock of shit if I've ever heard it) when Rush's audience was once full of them, including the band members themselves.

That actually kinda funny. I saw them last week in Toronto and Geddy Lee made a crack about playing an old song, back when we, the audience, all wore mullets.

• 3 months later...

Thought it was time to get this thread back on the go, just been listening to la Villa Strangiato, Tom Sawyer and YYZ. One of the top bands I have ever seen, great music, musicians..the musicians musicians for me. Got to be the best three piece ever in my books.

Edited by leddy

• 1 month later...

I have been lucky enough to see rush 7 times,starting in the late 70's. Nice to see the boys putting on such a long show now(usually about the two hour mark in the 80's) but with such a large catalogue you almost have to do three plus hours. I still like the older stuff more, 2112 hemispheres, a farewell to kings moving pictures.Definitely three very talented musicians!!

I still haven't picked up their last couple of records since they regrouped following the hiatus but I've heard nothing but good things about the Snakes and Arrows DVD so that's definitely on my "must have" list. I'm also interested in buying some of Neil's books, Roadshow looks particularly intriguing.

Edited by Jahfin

Never been a Rush fan, but I'm definitely open to the idea. I just think Tom Sawyer gets played too much like Stairway and Freebird, etc.

However, I absolutely love Working Man. Must have that on my iPod.

Would love to hear more to expand my horizons.

Where to start?

Never been a Rush fan, but I'm definitely open to the idea. I just think Tom Sawyer gets played too much like Stairway and Freebird, etc.

Blame that on Classic Rock radio programmers. One of the wisest investments I've made in recent years was a subscription to satellite radio. Unfortunately since XM and Sirius merged I've found that Sirius definitely has inferior programming. Still, it beats the shit out of Classic Rock radio. That's not to say there's no good radio stations left out there because there are, they're just few and far between. Most every town has a Classic Rock radio station and every damn one of them sounds identical to the other. Thank you very much, Clear Channel.

However, I absolutely love Working Man. Must have that on my iPod.

Would love to hear more to expand my horizons.

Where to start?

They have so many records and DVDs at this point it's hard to make a recommendation but I would say Different Stages for a broad look at their work over the years (particularly the bonus disc taken from the Farewell to Kings tour). Same for the R30 DVD. I could also name several studio records but like the best bands out there, Rush is best heard and experienced live.

Their new live 3 DVD set from the last two Snakes & Arrows '07/'08 tours is really good to have, too (as it includes classics not heard in years, like "Circumstances", "Between The Wheels" and a few others).

R B)

Their new live 3 DVD set from the last two Snakes & Arrows '07/'08 tours is really good to have, too (as it includes classics not heard in years, like "Circumstances", "Between The Wheels" and a few others).

R B)

Some of the reviews I've read of Snakes & Arrows say it was shot from a "musicians" standpoint so you can actually see what they're playing and how they're playing it. To do this the filmmakers evidently employed some rather unconventional camera angles which makes it a unique viewing experience even if you aren't a musician. I saw it on sale over the holidays for something like $12.99 which is a real steal.

I love Geddy's bass! (Meaning how he plays) One of the most epic bands out there - ever. (2112-hello! pure genious!) They just have such a uniqe sound.

Always have loved the guys!

"Today's Tom Sawyer - he's a mean, mean guy..."

"What?" :slapface:

And how do you get labeled as a "nerd band" anyways?

I hate labels

"Today's Tom Sawyer - he's a mean, mean guy..."

"What?" :slapface:

"What?" Exactly, there's not a single lyric in Tom Sawyer that says "mean, mean guy".

And how do you get labeled as a "nerd band" anyways?

I hate labels

I don't like labels either but when it comes to music (as well as other things) it's kind of a necessary evil when trying to explain how an artist sounds to someone who may have never heard them before. As for the "nerd band" thing, I can't say I've ever really thought of myself as a nerd but it definitely fits the description for some of their fans. I'm guessing it stems from the sci-fi angle of many of their lyrics. Back in the 70s some Rush fans also like to pattern their hairstyles after some of the members of the band, Neil Peart particularly.

"What?" Exactly, there's not a single lyric in Tom Sawyer that says "mean, mean guy".

I don't like labels either but when it comes to music (as well as other things) it's kind of a necessary evil when trying to explain how an artist sounds to someone who may have never heard them before. As for the "nerd band" thing, I can't say I've ever really thought of myself as a nerd but it definitely fits the description for some of their fans. I'm guessing it stems from the sci-fi angle of many of their lyrics. Back in the 70s some Rush fans also like to pattern their hairstyles after some of the members of the band, Neil Peart particularly.

I think I'm pretty cool for a nerd B) Na-I'm not as over-the-top as what most people consider nerds, but I did learn Elvish :blush:

And "mean mean guy" is how one of my friends sings it, the crazy... :whistling:

rush is awesome.. they were drastically influenced by zeppelin and then they developed their own sound and imop are one of the greatest bands ever..i love geddy.. u either love or hate his voice.. no in between whatsoever im a fan of rush and i like the topics peart rights about.. he takes lyrics from poetry and fantasy and makes them rock..

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone catch Geddy and Alex guesting on That Metal Show on VH1 ? I guess I saw a repeat of it last week. Wiki says it aired originally on Dec. 27th, 2008.

I recenlty made a rock compilation of various bands onto 1 CD.

I included the under-apprecated RUSH song "Driven" off TEST FOR ECHO.

I have seen Rush twice.

1st time, when they headlined a Stadium gig in Dallas for what I think was their GRACE UNDER PRESSURE Tour.

And lastly, I sat in the center section - 3rd row for their ampitheater appearnce in Dallas on the TEST FOR ECHO Tour.

You lose something in a stadium gig.... but the ampitheater gig was cool. The sweet spot for the sound was about 30-40 rows back.

Edited by The Rover

I saw Geddy and Alex on That Metal Show. Like the whole bands' appearance on The Colbert Report, it really showed their sense of humor which is something that is far too often overlooked by those that are so quick to dismiss Rush as some intellectual sci-fi band.