The Rush Thread

Dance the Crunge

Nice feature from The Quietus on some of Geddy Lee's favorite albums. He lists a bunch you'd absolutely expect but he also has a few curveballs hidden up his sleeve.

In The Mood: The Favourite Albums Of Rush's Geddy Lee

The bass players he admires are all my choices too. Entwisle, Squier, JPJ, Jack Bruce... "Bless It's Pointed Little Head", the live Jefferson Airplane album with Jack Casady he likes, rarely gets mention in any interview or forum I've seen.

I've never heard Rush cover other bands' songs, but looked into it and see they did "Feedback" about 8 years ago. Two Yardbird's songs on there, and their version of the Who's "Seeker" must be something!

I highly recommend their R30 DVD which just so happens to include live versions of some of those covers from Feedback.

Oh dear, I don't think THAT would be allowed in our home. My wife only allows me to watch videos of Josh Groban and Celine Dion - you know, shows where there's no line at the Men's room.

Yes!. The R30 Concert DVD is great. It may be one of my favorites of all the DVD's that came out the past 10 years or so. The Snakes and Arrows Tour is excellent as well.

Feedback is the only studio album by Rush I don't own. I'll probably get it eventually to satisfy the completist in me. But I'm generally not all that interested in a band doing cover songs. A few hear and there is Ok. But an album's worth is not something I'd see myself listening to that often.

Edited by Cletus

Feedback is the only studio album by Rush I don't own. I'll probably get it eventually to satisfy the completist in me. But I'm generally not all that interested in a band doing cover songs. A few hear and there is Ok. But an album's worth is not something I'd see myself listening to that often.

Some bands shouldn't attempt cover songs (hello, Van Halen). Some bands I like excell at cover songs (Grateful Dead, Hot Tuna). If a band covers a song from many decades ago, that would probably be never heard again if they hadn't, that can be special. In this case, I'm just curious what Geddy does instrumentally with those songs...

I'm not a fan of all of Van Halen's covers but I must say they did a mighty fine job with "You Really Got Me". So much so that they sort of made it their own to the extent that it's became just as associated with them as it is the Kinks. As for the songs on Feedback, I would imagine you'd be able to check out most (if not all) of them on YouTube.

Here is a scan of a signed Clockwork Angels preview booklet, it has the first two chapters in it, they were given out at the :"Book Expo America" in New York City this past June. The author (Kevin J. Anderson) had extras and on his blog offered them to fans, so I aquired one...

RushClockworkAngelssignedsamplerbooklet.jpg

samplerbookletclockworkangels.jpg

Edited by luvlz2

^It's a great disc for sure!^ Alex's guitar has that late 70's sound again. They sound so powerful, with Geddy's bass just driving right through your forehead! Neil is just, well...Neil! Great writing/playing boys!

The Clockwork Angels preview booklet has the first three chapters, not two, it has the lyrics for Caravan also. Chapter three ends with "Owen" sneaking out at night and ending up boarding a train to Crown City and the future...

Edited by luvlz2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...