Remembering John Bonham.

6 hours ago, porgie66 said:

I was a freshman at Lane Tech high school in Chicago, and I will never forget the awful feeling when a classmate told me that morning, that he heard on the radio, on his way to school that Bonzo had died. He saw that I had happily taken my full page Chicago Tribune Led Zeppelin tour announcement and ticket application form, out of my folder. I got up extra early that day to fill out the application for tickets to the upcoming dates the band were supposed to play at The Chicago Stadium in November. The paper came out overnight, in the wee small hours of Sep 25, so I woke up early at 5:30am to get my copy, fill out the form and post mark it ASAP. I was so happy and confident that I got my application sent early and was eagerly anticipating finally seeing my heros, especially Bonzo, in person! I had become obsessed with them about a year before and spent most of 8th grade and that summer of 1980, fanatically learning as much as I could , by listening to the albums at home, and tapes in my Walkman whenever in transit. At first I didn't really believe this kid, thinking maybe it was a false alarm. But, as I made my way through the halls during the passing period to my next class, the halls were abuzz with the terrible news... some kids were crying. I was crushed. Such a huge loss, to this day.  In honor of the 40th anniversary of his passing, I decided to do this video.

Very nice !!! Bonham will live forever!!

Edited by hummingbird69

4 hours ago, sixpense said:

WOW!!  I've been looking for this. Thanks for sharing. Actually this is really a gem, I don't believe there is any other recording of Bonzo with Tim Rose. I haven't been convinced with the stuff that's been posted on YT til now....this is definitely him.  I wish I could download it or get a copy. 

Edited by porgie66

16 hours ago, Davo1 said:

I ended up buying 3 from Redditch .....I want them to last like Bonzos memories.

Did you buy them at the memorial or at a show?  I figured I'd see these on line for sale by now. . even a used one.  I feel it makes them that more special:) 

On 9/27/2020 at 1:53 AM, porgie66 said:

WOW!!  I've been looking for this. Thanks for sharing. Actually this is really a gem, I don't believe there is any other recording of Bonzo with Tim Rose. I haven't been convinced with the stuff that's been posted on YT til now....this is definitely him.  I wish I could download it or get a copy. 

That fill around the 5.05 minute mark reappears on Good Times Bad Times. This is genuinely exciting to get decent quality sound of him with Tim Rose. Imagine being Page, seeing him in that little club in Hampstead and imagining what he could do with proper studio recording and rockier material!

2 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

It's been discussed before that it's apparently not John Bonham on that radio appearance.

From BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/sessions/1960s/1968/Jul01timrose/

The pastdaily.com link above is obviously Bonzo. No mistaking him there. The other clips that have been around don't sound like Bonzo to me, but this one is distinctly different . Its from a date that isn't found on YouTube either. I couldn't find another one on the interwebs. 

13 hours ago, porgie66 said:

The pastdaily.com link above is obviously Bonzo. No mistaking him there. The other clips that have been around don't sound like Bonzo to me, but this one is distinctly different . Its from a date that isn't found on YouTube either. I couldn't find another one on the interwebs. 

There was a gap between Bonzo's official last gig with Tim Rose (31st July) and the date at which he joined up. Although this isn't certain (SAJ may have a date?) given the stalling over matching Rose's pay offer, the number of other drummers that were sounded out and Page & Grant's trip up to Dudley to persuade him to join, I'd guess it was about 6th/7th Aug.

So I wonder if in that week he played another date with Tim Rose post 31/7/68 and that's what's on the recording? He was committed to do the Isle of Wight festival at the end of August and had to confess this to Grant who quietly arranged for the commitment to be unwound. So there were clearly other bookings.

That's him on the pastdaily.com recording, of that I have no doubt whatsoever.

9 hours ago, sixpense said:

Compare the drum fills I noted at 5:04 and compare it to the January 1969 soundboard of Pat's Delight. Similar

If someone showed you that recording anonymously and asked you to guess, I'd say 99% would guess Bonham. If that isn't him I'm a Dutchman.

6 hours ago, 76229 said:

If someone showed you that recording anonymously and asked you to guess, I'd say 99% would guess Bonham. If that isn't him I'm a Dutchman.

That's 100% Bonham. Exactly the same pattern that appear in many solos and GTBT. If it is another drummer, I will stop listening to LZ.

Edited by the-ocean87

• 11 months later...

I am remembering John Henry Bonham by playing the "In Through the Out Door" album. Yeah, I know…it is not the most popular album with fans. But JHB sounds great on it and ITTOD was the last Led Zeppelin album released while Bonham was still alive.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

I am remembering John Henry Bonham by playing the "In Through the Out Door" album. Yeah, I know…it is not the most popular album with fans. But JHB sounds great on it and ITTOD was the last Led Zeppelin album released while Bonham was still alive.

Love it! Great album. I was blasting Fool In The Rain earlier! 🤘🏼🤘🏼

On 9/30/2020 at 6:34 PM, 76229 said:

There was a gap between Bonzo's official last gig with Tim Rose (31st July) and the date at which he joined up. Although this isn't certain (SAJ may have a date?) given the stalling over matching Rose's pay offer, the number of other drummers that were sounded out and Page & Grant's trip up to Dudley to persuade him to join, I'd guess it was about 6th/7th Aug.

So I wonder if in that week he played another date with Tim Rose post 31/7/68 and that's what's on the recording? He was committed to do the Isle of Wight festival at the end of August and had to confess this to Grant who quietly arranged for the commitment to be unwound. So there were clearly other bookings.

That's him on the pastdaily.com recording, of that I have no doubt whatsoever.

John reportedly failed to show for a Tim Rose gig in Middlesbrough, suggesting he never informed them he was leaving the group. Meanwhile, he had also reportedly agreed to tour with Chris Farlowe following the end of the Tim Rose UK Tour. That did not happen either as he agreed to join Led Zeppelin. It is generally accepted Led Zeppelin's first rehearsal was held on Monday, August 12th 1968 but as far as I know none of the band members have confirmed that date. 

It is possible to ask credited drummer Dougie Wright to comment on that John Peel session by emailing him directly at dougfidgetyfeet@hotmail.com.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

i was driving home from high school when i heard of bozo,s death in 1980.i was a senior and had planned on driving to baltimore to see led zeppelin,s 1980 us toyr which had just been announced.the radio played thank you as a memorium to bonzo after announcing his death.three months later john lennon was murdered and i remember watching monday night football when cell announced it as well.hell of a senior year.