Imperfection on The Ocean

Any feedback on this would be appreciated. This has been driving me nuts. I'm listening to The Ocean from the 1990 box set. I'm talking about the actual CDs, not a digital/mp3 version. Right at the 0:45-0:46 mark I hear little "blips" or "pops" when Plant says "got" it pops on the "g" and also on the "c" when he says "can't". "I got a date. I can't be late." Again, this is from the original CD from the box set. Is this some kind of mastering error? Anybody else hear this? I don't have any other CD to compare it to, like Houses Of The Holy on its own. It's driving me nuts. One of my favorite songs.

Ha! Never noticed that. It must be an error in the mastering that made it through...found on your 4-CD Box Set and my "Definitive Collection" mini-LP (which was just a "remaster" of the 1990s remasters) -- so I assume it's also found on the "Cube" box-set and the individual album release.

I can't help but note that these digital artefacts aren't present in the "Mastered for iTunes" version of the song.

It occurs on the original Diamnet cd's as well as on the "Cube" boxset. There is also considerable static during the guitar solo around the telephone ring at 1:38.

The MFiT tracks still have the static sound although it is easy to miss as it is less pronounced - I would venture to say that this is an issue that is on the master tapes/multitracks themselves.

It occurs on the original Diamnet cd's as well as on the "Cube" boxset. There is also considerable static during the guitar solo around the telephone ring at 1:38.

The MFiT tracks still have the static sound although it is easy to miss as it is less pronounced - I would venture to say that this is an issue that is on the master tapes/multitracks themselves.

The "static" that you mention appears to be an artefact produced by the ringing of the phone.

EDIT: Or not. :P

...Maybe?

The "static" that you mention appears to be an artefact produced by the ringing of the phone.

No....I dont think so. It occus long before the phone rings and long afterwards.

I call it "static" because that's what it sounds like. Digital noise wouldnt be on every release. It's like the tape overload on LZ II, the multis were recorded a little hot thus every release suffers from some amount of bass overload.

No....I dont think so. It occus long before the phone rings and long afterwards.

I call it "static" because that's what it sounds like. Digital noise wouldnt be on every release. It's like the tape overload on LZ II, the multis were recorded a little hot thus every release suffers from some amount of bass overload.

I think I hear what you mean, actually. It appears to be present on the vinyl releases as well, but is more pronounced on the digital releases due to their differences in mastering.

Upon further comparison I am mistaking what sounds like tape overload with some sort of digital artifiact. It is present on the Diament and the Marino versions (which includes the Cube box, and the 1990 box) of the tracks. MFiT is indeed free of those two clicks, as is the Classic Albums 45rmp release.

Edit: Spelling

Any feedback on this would be appreciated. This has been driving me nuts. I'm listening to The Ocean from the 1990 box set. I'm talking about the actual CDs, not a digital/mp3 version. Right at the 0:45-0:46 mark I hear little "blips" or "pops" when Plant says "got" it pops on the "g" and also on the "c" when he says "can't". "I got a date. I can't be late." Again, this is from the original CD from the box set. Is this some kind of mastering error? Anybody else hear this? I don't have any other CD to compare it to, like Houses Of The Holy on its own. It's driving me nuts. One of my favorite songs.

This song already has so many interesting little info nuggets about it. This will only add to the things I hear and wait for when I listen to Zeppelin or a Zeppelin song. I am not sure if that's a good or bad thing at this point. I will say, that after hearing it, I am amazed that I never heard it on my own. Good find.

Archived