Wasn't Jimmy supposed to use a new guitar for one number?

Wow I did not hear about this yet, any idea when they are gonna be available cause if I have to put off buying my HD Fatboy a couple of months I know I'm gonna buy one ASAP !!!!!

RjK

Is that an Alan Holdsworth FatBoy?

I suggest you play a chambered Les Paul, the heavier weight does not neccessarily mean better sustain or tonal qualities. The boat anchor Les Pauls of the Norlin era were crap and are not sought out by collectors at all. The lightest vintage Les Pauls always command higher money because the lighter wood is viewed as superior for tonal reasons. If you have two Lesters and one weighs 10 pounds and the other weighs 8 pounds and they are both the exact dimensions, whats the difference? Air is the difference, the lighter Lester has more air inside the wood which gives more resonance, this is what Gibson has done with the chambered series, and they are not just hollow the chambers were designed a certain way to enhance sustain etc... I have three Lesters and the Cloud Nine is superior to the others in tonal qualities however my heaviest only weighs in at 8.8 pounds. The real heavy Lesters just sound dead to me, but maybe yours is an exception. Anyway try one out i guarantee you will really like it.

I have played numerous guitars the last 30 years and every single one has a different tone to it. I played the chambered Pauls when they came out and dismissed them as an attempt at Fenderizing the Les Paul sound from day one.

I am not slagging Fender either so keeps your BS to yourself, I in fact own a 50th Anniversery American Strat as well as a Tele and would not trade em unless I found better replacements.

That being said if you want the look of playing a Les Paul but want a Fender type or 80's Strat Style Copy sound then I suggest the Chambered Les Pauls. To me they have no balls but they might look pretty, perhaps thats why they are not worth as much today and maybe its why Gibson does not make many these days if at all.

I buy a guitar based on its sound/playability and not how it looks. Its common knowledge where I come from mass = sustain when everything else is equal. This is why I am interested in a Jimmy Page model Black Beauty because I am a tone chaser and that middle pickup gives me some options I want to explore.

Sry for the long post I just felt I had to defend/explain myself a bit better.

RjK

Archived