Jimmy in Attendance At Stone Roses Gig

kenog

hes not a politician, he is a gifted musician who constantly says he has new music but it never comes to fruition

my perspective on the world and current affairs is switched on, this isnt about our one party state and lack of democracy, big brother, bilderberg and the NSA

we didnt elect page, he found us

Thanks SAJ. :thumbsup: I still don't think we've got a hope in hell of him touring. If I were JPP's age, and had his bank account balance I don't think I would bother.

Using The Firm as perhaps a best case example, they began touring within three months of their initial formation.

what is he supposed to do ? hold a concert by himself ?

YES! I would love to hear a solo concert. I spend a lot of time listening to his instrumental work and although it would be hard to do, I think Mr. Page could pull it off.

Page has actually been a very successful politician.

I simply disagree. He formed a great band more than 40 years ago that had a heyday lasting about 7 years and has done interesting things since but his artistic hiatus is at 13 years and counting. If he was so savvy he'd have at least maintained a viable solo career.

IMHO, Eric Clapton is a far better "politician". He's formed loads of bands/different lineups on his own, still releases new albums and is touring the world - yet again - as we speak. I bring him up merely for comparison's sake.

all he needs to do is re-mix the catalogs to the latest technology and call Fed-Ex.

I can't help but wonder if there's more boring stuff holding things up. Each of the gentlemen now has his own business manager, as I understand it, and that alone would make putting anything out much, much more complicated. There could be leftover copyright issues that are getting renegotiated as well - any number of things that Mr. Page has no control over.

Thank you for sharing that, Knebs. If JP had looked in my eyes and said anything, my knees would have buckled. But, to quote Michael Palin's Spanish Inquisitor, "You must be made of stronger stuff."

I know this is a personal anecdote but when I saw him in October he looked me in the eyes and told me straight up that he would be touring this year. It wasn't just a hopeful statement, and it wasn't that I just don't "get it", it was as close to a promise as you can have without starting the conversation with the words "I promise". He had plenty of space too - he volunteered this snippet without any questions from me.

I simply disagree. He formed a great band more than 40 years ago that had a heyday lasting about 7 years and has done interesting things since but his artistic hiatus is at 13 years and counting. If he was so savvy he'd have at least maintained a viable solo career.

IMHO, Eric Clapton is a far better "politician". He's formed loads of bands/different lineups on his own, still releases new albums and is touring the world - yet again - as we speak. I bring him up merely for comparison's sake.

Clapton is "Phil Niekro" to Page's "Sandy Koufax".

Clapton is "Phil Niekro" to Page's "Sandy Koufax".

Most won't understand this comparison but it's actually a brilliant one. (Koufax and Page I mean) Many have been great, but no one, not one single pitcher in major league history could touch Koufax for his short span of dominance. You'd have had to actually have seen him pitch to understand that. You could make the same claim for Jimmy.

so why does he bother saying he is going to put out new music? whats the point of that?

I'm not going to repeat myself. I put forth the best theory I can come up with.

The idea that Jimmy is a "politican" or "bluffing" I find hard to believe; it seems contrary to his personality.

At least he didn't have to chat up a 13-year-old girl.

And you know this for a fact that Clapton never had relations with an underage girl? given those times I think it's rather naive to suggest that. In fact, I was watching a documentary about the groupie scene last night, and the 13 year old girl you refer to (Lori Maddox) tells a story of how David Bowie took her virginity. I'd say they were all at it (knowingly or unknowingly) with underage girls, so not sure why Jimmy gets singled out - but I'm not here to defend him or condone his actions. It doesn't change the fact that Clapton stole his best mate's wife.

Anyway, back to what this thread is about: ragging on Jimmy for not coming out with any new music. Sorry, Jimmy in attendance at a Stone Roses gig.

Clapton is "Cy Young" to Page's "Sandy Koufax".

I don't think so. Cy Young's career took place during the earliest years of Major League baseball. He was a pioneer in the sport. A comparable rock guitarist would be Chuck Berry or Bo Diddley. Clapton's career began in the mid-1960's; more than a decade into rock-and-roll music. He is a great guitarist who has sustained a lengthy career but he's not a "founding father' of the genre. Phil Niekro was a great pitcher with an incredibly long Major League career; it's a suitable comparison to Clapton.

. The Page-Clapton comparison doesn't work for me. Clapton was only in Cream for 2 years and Derek and the Dominoes for a short stint. Otherwise its been Eric Clapton the solo artist for over 40 years. A guitarist who sings. Clapton also had over a decade of flaccid sounding records that could've cured insomnia. Eric Clapton was nowhere near to Jimmy Page in the showmanship department.

Brush up on your math as Zeppelin had a 12 year run. Jimmy Page wrote his own material and relied on a vocalist outside himself. A different set of circumstances.

It does take someone with a certain level of political acumen to succeed in the session world and to spearhead an unbelievably successful band which changed the music world. Apparently that's not enough for some. It's s not a stretch to say Page has played on many more records than Clapton.

Archived