Eagles Documentary - U.K Only.

Pagesbow

Frey is not liked at all is he? Where I think Henley has redeeming features, so I've heard. I met him once but there wasn't enough time to form an opinion that would mean anything. (For what it's worth though I liked him) . Never met Frey. The story of the making of Desperado in a recent music mag didn't show them painted in a lot of glory either.

Frey seems like a very unpleasant guy by many accounts. Don't know if you've watched the documentary but it's clear he still has anger issues about some ex-band members in particular. I agree that Henley is probably better, but possibly not by a wide margin!

Frey seems like a very unpleasant guy by many accounts. Don't know if you've watched the documentary but it's clear he still has anger issues about some ex-band members in particular. I agree that Henley is probably better, but possibly not by a wide margin!

I prefer his solo output to Frey's too ;)

Yeah I watched it - did feel sorry for Felder TBH .

I think Timothy B Schmidt also comes off well.. Classy guy, great voice.. You could see Randy Meisner was visibly touched at the R and R HOF when TS thanked him and paid tribute in his induction speach.

Joe is great.

Don Felder seems to be a real pain in the ass.. But some of his anger is justified.. He wrote the music to Hotel California. I never knew that till I watched this Documentary. He wrote Victim Of Love, great song... but Glen Frey wouldn't let him sing it. I do think Felder was wrong to expect an equal share when they reunited. He would have still made a huge fortune. Frey and Don Henley started the band. They are control freaks, but it is their band. I do want to read Felder's book

I'm really starting to appreciate their earlier sound a lot more.

What opened my eyes was when they were inducted.. all members performed Take It Easy together as a 7 pc. Greatest live vocal harmonies I've ever heard.

I hear you, check out my other post, I addressed the issue of Felder wanting more. I definitely recommend Felder's book, the documentary is great but definitely gives more of Frey and Henley's side of the story.

Totally agree on the harmonies too. Bands are an incredible social experiment; how can a bunch of guys who seem to annoy the crap out of each other make such sweet harmonies? :-)

I think Timothy B Schmidt also comes off well.. Classy guy, great voice..

Joe is great.

I'm really starting to appreciate their earlier sound a lot more.

What opened my eyes was when they were inducted.. all members performed Take It Easy together as a 7 pc. Greatest live vocal harmonies I've ever heard.

I forgot about TBS, but yeah, he appears amiable enough. Seems to just be happy to have the gig so he's not going to rock the boat.

Edited to add: Walsh and Schmidt would be getting the same deal they had before. Frey and Henley would be getting better deals. Felder would be the only guy in the band getting a worse deal. Why would you do that to your bandmate?

Fair enough. I think Frey and Henley were - in part - trying to justify this by saying they did more to keep the Eagles profile up with their more successful solo careers during the period the band was defunct. It's obvious Frey held a grudge against Felder and that was possibly a way to get rid of him.

Heck, I prefer Felder's solo output to Frey's; one good song to none! When Smuggler's Blues or The Heat is On comes on the radio I lunge for the dial. When Heavy Metal comes on I crank the volume! :-)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=02nAH_oAjeg

I was listening to this track and, while obviously dated, his vocals sound decent. From the way they were talking in the docu about him not being "up to standard" to record Victim of Love, I was expecting something really awful. Sounds like he could have definitely handled Victim of Love. Off the top of my head, all the other guys got a vocal on that album except him, and Joe Walsh is hardly the greatest vocalist of all time, is he? I'm becoming team Felder :lol:

No, that's not accurate. He was ENTITLED to equal pay and Frey and Henley made him take less. Walsh and Schmidt were hired as sidemen in the 70's and remained sidemen after they reunited in the 90's. Frey and Henley demanded that Felder more or less demote himself to "sideman" status while the two of them took a bigger share. Felder wasn't asking for a better deal, just the same deal they had all agreed to originally.

Edited to add: Walsh and Schmidt would be getting the same deal they had before. Frey and Henley would be getting better deals. Felder would be the only guy in the band getting a worse deal. Why would you do that to your bandmate?

This does put it in a different light...

I was listening to this track and, while obviously dated, his vocals sound decent. From the way they were talking in the docu about him not being "up to standard" to record Victim of Love, I was expecting something really awful. Sounds like he could have definitely handled Victim of Love. Off the top of my head, all the other guys got a vocal on that album except him, and Joe Walsh is hardly the greatest vocalist of all time, is he? I'm becoming team Felder :lol:

When the band started, the agreement was that they would each get to sing on every album, that includes Leadon and Meisner. When Felder joined during On The Border that agreement was still being honored, and he did sing Visions on One Of These Nights, which was the first full album he played on as a full fledged member of the band:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wXMJ9Q6W8rY

Of course he's not the vocalist that Frey or especially Henley is, but he carries it off. When he brought in the music for Victim of Love he was understandably geeked about it and I'm sure it was a big letdown for him when they ruled that Henley should sing it, even though Felder always acknowledges that Henley is the far better vocalist.

To make it worse, in the documentary Henley sniffingly refers to the music Felder brought in as a "chord progression", going out of his way to state that it wasn't a song until they added lyrics. With the help of J.D. Souther of course. For his part, Felder does acknowledge and credit Henley, Souther, and especially Frey for their role in rounding out the lyrics.

When the band started, the agreement was that they would each get to sing on every album, that includes Leadon and Meisner. When Felder joined during On The Border that agreement was still being honored, and he did sing Visions on One Of These Nights, which was the first full album he played on as a full fledged member of the band:

Of course he's not the vocalist that Frey or especially Henley is, but he carries it off. When he brought in the music for Victim of Love he was understandably geeked about it and I'm sure it was a big letdown for him when they ruled that Henley should sing it, even though Felder always acknowledges that Henley is the far better vocalist.

To make it worse, in the documentary Henley sniffingly refers to the music Felder brought in as a "chord progression", going out of his way to state that it wasn't a song until they added lyrics. With the help of J.D. Souther of course. For his part, Felder does acknowledge and credit Henley, Souther, and especially Frey for their role in rounding out the lyrics.

I noticed that as well. Henley just had to point that out.

Mixed emotions on the whole political rally blow up they had..

Obviously, Don Felder wasn't as into politics as Glenn Frey. He probably felt strong armed to play benefits for causes he wasn't into.. But, he agreed to do it and should have handled it better. Compromise is a part of being in a band. I can understand Frey being pissed off about that. I don't think he ever forgave Felder.

I can also picture Frey committing the band to do things on their behalf without even mentioning it to the rest, (except Henley) .. "WE'RE PLAYING THIS BENEFIT".

Frey and Henley are not even close to being the biggest douche in music history, that award surely goes to Mike Love. His R 'n' R HOF acceptance speech with The Beach Boys was even more awkward to watch than the Eagles' acceptance. Definitely not many good vibrations to be felt.

Frey and Henley are not even close to being the biggest douche in music history, that award surely goes to Mike Love. His R 'n' R HOF acceptance speech with The Beach Boys was even more awkward to watch than the Eagles' acceptance. Definitely not many good vibrations to be felt.

Plus... I hate what Love turned The Beach Boys into..

Brian Wilson is the genius of that bunch..

Oh most definitely. Pretty early on he self-appointed himself as the leader of that band, and just when you thought he couldn't get any lower....

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/brian-wilson-to-mike-love-it-sort-of-feels-like-we-re-being-fired-20121009

I was always puzzled by the fact that Love was in India with the Maharishi, the Beatles, Donovan, etc. Nothing about him screams "transcendental meditation" to me!

Love still does TM, and is an advocate of the Natural Law Party. I get what you mean though, he looks as though he'd be Republican. You can't always tell by looking though :) Joe Perry is a Republican!

Love still does TM, and is an advocate of the Natural Law Party. I get what you mean though, he looks as though he'd be Republican. You can't always tell by looking though :) Joe Perry is a Republican!

Here we go. So the opposite of a calm, centered TM practitioner is a obviously a...Republican? Getting back to the topic of the thread, the angry, pissed off, short-tempered leader of the Eagles is an avowed Democrat.

Stereotyping is not our friend.

Sorry, I didn't mean any offense. Honestly! Most of my family is Republican and I love them dearly.

I only meant Love seemed like he'd be Republican because he's a prosperous-looking, older white man who dresses like a golfer. I think I'm making it worse, so I'm going to stop now.

Forgive me!

Maybe Mike Love, Glen Frey and Don Henley can form a band(and Axl Rose, too) and then their plane can crash in the Atlantic Ocean.

Nothing more that I can add to this thread. My feelings about the Eagles are pretty much known by now, as I have ranted about them before on the other Eagles thread. Plus, I have used that Dude clip from The Big Lebowski many times when referring to the Eagles. Hell, I was even on Rolling Stone's side during their feud with the Eagles in the 70s...which was the ONLY time I took Rolling Stone magazine's side in any of their numerous battles with bands.

Besides, ranting about the Eagles means thinking about the Eagles...which means less time spent thinking about more pleasurable things. Like Raquel Welch in "One Million Years B.C." or Emma Peel(Diana Rigg) kicking ass in "The Avengers"(the cool 60s British tv show, not the stupid comic book movie).

Sorry, I didn't mean any offense. Honestly! Most of my family is Republican and I love them dearly.

I only meant Love seemed like he'd be Republican because he's a prosperous-looking, older white man who dresses like a golfer. I think I'm making it worse, so I'm going to stop now.

Forgive me!

All is cool. There are plenty of political threads on here and I'd hate to turn this into one!

I was always puzzled by the fact that Love was in India with the Maharishi, the Beatles, Donovan, etc. Nothing about him screams "transcendental meditation" to me!

Yes, that was always puzzling. In the pictures of him in India, he looks like a creepy hobo they decided to let tab along because he promised them some "good stuff"

I'm a fan of the Eagles as well as the hubby....Showtime was playing this and we watched it a couple of times. It is a interesting watch to see some of the back stories of the band.

Hi^^

Same here. I have it recorded. Great watch if you like their music..and I do. Glad I went to see them again last summer. Walsh and Schmit are my favorites as far as people. But hard to form a true opinion as I do not know them, just the music :peace:

Maybe Mike Love, Glen Frey and Don Henley can form a band(and Axl Rose, too) and then their plane can crash in the Atlantic Ocean.

Nothing more that I can add to this thread. My feelings about the Eagles are pretty much known by now, as I have ranted about them before on the other Eagles thread. Plus, I have used that Dude clip from The Big Lebowski many times when referring to the Eagles. Hell, I was even on Rolling Stone's side during their feud with the Eagles in the 70s...which was the ONLY time I took Rolling Stone magazine's side in any of their numerous battles with bands.

Besides, ranting about the Eagles means thinking about the Eagles...which means less time spent thinking about more pleasurable things. Like Raquel Welch in "One Million Years B.C." or Emma Peel(Diana Rigg) kicking ass in "The Avengers"(the cool 60s British tv show, not the stupid comic book movie).

if you're just talking about the actual individuals , then i forgive you.

but the eagles have made some amazing music, imho.

if you're just talking about the actual individuals , then i forgive you.

but the eagles have made some amazing music, imho.

I agree The Eagles have recorded some amazing music. They are one band who imvho have recorded more filler than killer.

Strider, you're an Eagles loather? I'm not familiar with the Eagles-RS mag spats - can you give us the Cliff Notes version? I assume it was about "editorial policy" (i.e., Jann Wenner is nasty to people who aren't in his social circle, never kissed his arse).

I know Henley was livid that RS printed the news item in 1980 that a 16-year old girl was found on his property "naked and claiming she had overdosed on quaaludes and cocaine. She was arrested for prostitution, while a 15-year-old girl found in the house was arrested for being under the influence of drugs." I think he wrote the song Dirty Laundry about that experience.

Both Henley and Frey were mentioned as clients in You'll Never Make Love in this Town Again.

When I was a youngster - back in the Pleistocene era - the rock press seemed to hate the Eagles on principle, because the band was so successful. Same with Zeppelin. Anything popular had to be crap.

Archived