Eagles Documentary - U.K Only.

Pagesbow

I agree The Eagles have recorded some amazing music. They are one band who imvho have recorded more filler than killer.

i guess you can say that. and you can say that about a lot of bands, especially today. but i truly love quite a lot of their songs, from all eras of the band :0

Not sure how many minutes I watched waiting for Henley to stride to a mic before I realized he was behind the drum kit! Pretty cool, I like bizarre collaborations.

For a whole minute I was like "where is Henley?" skipping through at various intervals...a bit of a bizarre and sloppy performance, although it kinda works in its randomness. Henley always looks upset.

I've always loved the Eagles. I hate country music but this band actually got me to appreciate some country - something I never thought possible! For voacl harmonies they are up there with Queen and the Beach boys.

I saw the 2 part documentary (and am now wondering if the dvd is worth buying or if the material is identical?). I think one of the things that comes across with Frey and Henley was that they felt that they (as the songwriters) should have most of the artistic control of the band. Felder clearly wanted equal say and equal share but most bands are either run on a democracy or they have a couple of key leaders - as they said on the program bands are not communes. Having said that the story of Felder being taken out to dinner whilst Henley recorded the vocals to "Victim of Love" seemed a bit underhand. When they reformed again Felder wanted an equal share of the cash where Frey clearly felt as song writers they should have the larger cut - I can understand his frustration on that because at that point the reunion was to tour not to record. The golden question is are all band members equal in any band if they don't write the majority of the material?

Just finished 'Heaven and Hell- My life in the Eagles (1974-2001) WOW!

Just finished 'Heaven and Hell- My life in the Eagles (1974-2001) WOW!

Gives you a different impression of the band, doesn't it?

Felder should have been treated as an equal, financially speaking, because that was the deal they made with him back in the mid-70's. When they needed to rewrite 'Hotel California' for the Hell Freezes Over disc, who did it? Frey, Henley? Hell no, Felder did it - just as he co-wrote many of their biggest hits and was instrumental in changing the Eagles' sound from country to more mainstream rock. That's why he got fucked by the band (ie Don and Glenn) when they instructed him that the financial agreements would now be different when they reunited.

I've always loved the Eagles. I hate country music but this band actually got me to appreciate some country - something I never thought possible! For voacl harmonies they are up there with Queen and the Beach boys.

I saw the 2 part documentary (and am now wondering if the dvd is worth buying or if the material is identical?). I think one of the things that comes across with Frey and Henley was that they felt that they (as the songwriters) should have most of the artistic control of the band. Felder clearly wanted equal say and equal share but most bands are either run on a democracy or they have a couple of key leaders - as they said on the program bands are not communes. Having said that the story of Felder being taken out to dinner whilst Henley recorded the vocals to "Victim of Love" seemed a bit underhand. When they reformed again Felder wanted an equal share of the cash where Frey clearly felt as song writers they should have the larger cut - I can understand his frustration on that because at that point the reunion was to tour not to record. The golden question is are all band members equal in any band if they don't write the majority of the material?

The DVDs are identical but the package includes a third DVD of 7 live songs from the 77 tour. They're on good form, it's worth the purchase IMO!

I'll add that under the Eagles LTD agreement the band struck in the 70's, Felder was an equal partner with Frey and Henley. So when they reunited he was not asking for something new; Frey and Henley wanted Felder to take less so they could have more. I'm strictly on Team Felder here! If you're curious, read his book. The DVD predictably tells the story from Henley and Frey's perspective and leaves out a lot of details.

Felder should have been treated as an equal, financially speaking, because that was the deal they made with him back in the mid-70's. When they needed to rewrite 'Hotel California' for the Hell Freezes Over disc, who did it? Frey, Henley? Hell no, Felder did it - just as he co-wrote many of their biggest hits and was instrumental in changing the Eagles' sound from country to more mainstream rock. That's why he got fucked by the band (ie Don and Glenn) when they instructed him that the financial agreements would now be different when they reunited.

Totally agree and not only did he re-write Hotel California for Hell Freezes Over (one one day's notice by the way!), but he wrote the song in the first place (lyrics aside)!

He made so many contributions to that band that went unnoticed. He does not have a writing credit on the song One of These Nights, but he took what was a piano driven demo and wrote that distinctive intro, including the bass line. That intro has two or three (or more) guitars and bass completely syncopated with each other like a fine watch. That takes, dare I say, an almost Page-like vision to pull off. And that's not even mentioning his solo, which is one of the greats.

Totally agree and not only did he re-write Hotel California for Hell Freezes Over (one one day's notice by the way!), but he wrote the song in the first place (lyrics aside)!

He made so many contributions to that band that went unnoticed. He does not have a writing credit on the song One of These Nights, but he took what was a piano driven demo and wrote that distinctive intro, including the baseline. That intro has two or three (or more) guitars and bass completely syncopated with each other like a fine watch. That takes, dare I say, an almost Page-like vision to pull off. And that's not even mentioning his solo, which is one of the greats.

This is a pretty cool clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ6DWhj3YvU

The DVDs are identical but the package includes a third DVD of 7 live songs from the 77 tour. They're on good form, it's worth the purchase IMO!

I'll add that under the Eagles LTD agreement the band struck in the 70's, Felder was an equal partner with Frey and Henley. So when they reunited he was not asking for something new; Frey and Henley wanted Felder to take less so they could have more. I'm strictly on Team Felder here! If you're curious, read his book. The DVD predictably tells the story from Henley and Frey's perspective and leaves out a lot of details.

Cheers mstork sounds like the DVD could be worth getting. My wife will end up recording over it anyway so I will probabl have to!

Didn't know about the agreement. If that's the case it certaintly doesn't show the other 2 in a good light. You got the general impression that Frey in particular had issues with Felder probably going back to the incident at the benefit gig. Personally I thought Felder was the best guitarist the Eagles had - his solo playing took them to another level.

This is a pretty cool clip.

Awesome solo - played effortlessly

Not seen the song played like that before as there is normally a capo on the 7th fret on the 12 string - hence the need for a twin neck to do the solo. Presume he rewrote the whole thing so it could be played without a capo.

It sure did Walter. My jaw dropped at some of the passages Don Felder wrote about.Good thing Don was a peaceful soul because I would have dropped them(Frey/Henley) like a bad habit. :P

The respect meter on Mr. Felder went to 10 after reading the book.

Disagreements over money seem to be one of the most common reasons for bands breaking up. I just finished reading Philip Norman's biography of Mick Jagger. According to Norman, Jagger and Keith Richards treat the other Rolling Stones like second class citizens. Among other things, they demanded that Bill Wyman hand over a share of the publishing for In Another Land even though he wrote that song by himself. However, they never gave him songwriting credit for his contributions to THEIR songs. He developed the riff for Jumping Jack Flash. They did the same thing to Brian Jones and Mick Taylor. Jones, not Richards, came up with the iconic riff for Paint It Black but they never gave him credit for it. Given all the above, I'm amazed the Stones have endured for over 50 years.

I always liked the Eagles so I'm sorry I missed this documentary.

Disagreements over money seem to be one of the most common reasons for bands breaking up. I just finished reading Philip Norman's biography of Mick Jagger. According to Norman, Jagger and Keith Richards treat the other Rolling Stones like second class citizens. Among other things, they demanded that Bill Wyman hand over a share of the publishing for In Another Land even though he wrote that song by himself. However, they never gave him songwriting credit for his contributions to THEIR songs. He developed the riff for Jumping Jack Flash. They did the same thing to Brian Jones and Mick Taylor. Jones, not Richards, came up with the iconic riff for Paint It Black but they never gave him credit for it. Given all the above, I'm amazed the Stones have endured for over 50 years.

I always liked the Eagles so I'm sorry I missed this documentary.

Yep - from what I have read about the Stones Jagger and Richards were certaintly members of the self preservation society. Even with Ronnie Wood he very seldom gets a songwriting credit yet in the Faces he was a major contributor on that front.

• 6 months later...

Archived