Eagles Documentary - U.K Only.

Pagesbow

I've always loved the Eagles. I hate country music but this band actually got me to appreciate some country - something I never thought possible! For voacl harmonies they are up there with Queen and the Beach boys.

I saw the 2 part documentary (and am now wondering if the dvd is worth buying or if the material is identical?). I think one of the things that comes across with Frey and Henley was that they felt that they (as the songwriters) should have most of the artistic control of the band. Felder clearly wanted equal say and equal share but most bands are either run on a democracy or they have a couple of key leaders - as they said on the program bands are not communes. Having said that the story of Felder being taken out to dinner whilst Henley recorded the vocals to "Victim of Love" seemed a bit underhand. When they reformed again Felder wanted an equal share of the cash where Frey clearly felt as song writers they should have the larger cut - I can understand his frustration on that because at that point the reunion was to tour not to record. The golden question is are all band members equal in any band if they don't write the majority of the material?

I finally saw Part 1 of this documentary recently - it really was excellent. My interpretation was that Henley & Frey started treating the other guys in the band like employees rather than equals/colleagues.

To be honest - frey sounds like a bit of a douche. With Henley not far behind.

I'm reminded of the elementary school report cards I received back during the 1960's. One of the categories they scored you on was "Plays Well With Others". I get the sense that neither Frey nor Henley plays well with others.

Archived