São Apulo Riots

Gil Pinho

Several years ago I stopped following the news and I rarely buy newspapers these days, tired of politicians' lies and all the ugly stuff that happens around the world. So now I'm finding about these riots here on the Led Zeppelin forum, and I hold the country of Brazil in very high esteem and I love the country and its people that all of this makes me sad, though frankly I should admit that I don't have a context to this story, in the link you provided it mentions something about a hike in transport fares and everything going downhill from there. Just recently I heard about other riots in Sweden, and images were on the television of cars being torched and everything around was on fire, bringing memories of Clichy-sous-Bois.

Did you click on the English(BBC) link I posted? :blink:

'The police acted with professionalism'--- We should get those people up here to riot against the ever rising gas prices and tax grabbing libs. Most Americans could care less. :zzz:

'The police acted with professionalism'--- We should get those people up here to riot against the ever rising gas prices and tax grabbing libs. Most Americans could care less. :zzz:

they wouldn't riot if they were here because their standard of living would be a lot better. they could send their kids to school, the roads are better, there is a better welfare system though that needs improvement also.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for do not follow up on the topic. The people went to the streets to shout against the rise on the cost of public transportation fares. Subway and busses fares were raised simultaneously by both State and City governances in São Paulo and in the major state capitals over the country . The callers belong to a 2005 born movement called MPL (Movimento Passe Livre , loosely Free Fare Movement) . These are pacific protesters , leftists but non partisan guys . The thing however became greater than MPL , aggregating other matters that are being perceived by the population but not by the politicians for a long time : quality of public services in general and specifically quality of public health , public education , corruption and bad spending (like build soccer stadiums for the World Cup being the public health system on the verge of collapse) . The protests grew from São Paulo to the rest of the country with more than 100 cities getting their marches against something . The people is still on the streets at this moment all over the country.

I like the photo and I posted here because I think it is a synthesis : Youth against the state . Protestant open chested against heavily armored and armed oppression . Proud and confident people being oppressed by a police in fear .......

Archived