Stairway Backwards (Lyrics, Rumors, Possibilities)

ZoSo88

I apologize in advance for the length of this, and im sorry if it has been brought up on prior forums, im new to these.

One of the most talked about things in Led Zeppelin's legacy is their song Stairway To Heaven. We already know that. And most know about the rumors of their being backwards messeges on the record that can be heard when listening in reverse. I'm always the guy to say, prove it, and coincidence. But after countless hours of research and writing a term paper on it (yeah i know thats excessive) I'm leaning towards the belief that this is no sheer coincidence and im going to tell you why...

(1): Page had been known for toying around with recording techniques. He is also credited with inventing "Reverse Echo", a technique in which you take the echo of a sound, and overlay it on the original track before the note is hit. If Page toyed around with reversing sounds, is it so far fetched to assume the next thing he would try is vocals?

(2): Page's facination with the occult and Crowley is well known. Crowley instructed his followers to listen to phonographic records in reverse in a progressive attempt to think forward, to intertwine the two.

(3): If you believe Page would have at least been curious with reversing vocals (I mean he did it with other sounds) then it might be safe to assume he at least tried with vocals. Anyone who studies backmasking knows how very difficult it is to make even one word has sense in forwards and reverse, let along a full song! Stairway being the largest and best example of possible backmasking ever, according to backmasking experts. Isn't it ignorant to believe he tried to do backmasking, failed because of the difficulty, and it coincidently ended up on their most legendary and spiritual song ever?

(4): Lyrical content both ways hints at the others existance and has far too many coincidental things as I will try to explain. Here are the backwards lyrics as I have interpreted them...

Plaaaay backwards,

Hear words its sung here, oppositioner..

Allll on track, all arriving

They all sing, and they are one.

Shall I loathe you now, parishoner?

Oh hear Him, Christian within me.

It stirs my sin; the river,

Oh, she swells with our lousiness.

All my life will end for him?

We're all out of signs,

I know I'm sorta shocked

To hear The Lord,

My God now will save me!

Oh I will never be saved,

Because I live with Satan..

One wish today;

That you'll all pray for

Three who will make it here late.

Pray now and you'll see..

The 'Lord' turned me on,

But, oh, I was the shaggy fool..

Clothed in agony,

Lost at a height.

ohhhhh

There's no escaping it,

Nor his woes..

Here's to my Sweet Satan.

The one who's little path

Would make me sad,

Whose power is satan.

He'll give those with him 666.

And there was a little toolshed

where he made us suffer

sad satan

Ohohohoh...

"Family won't get loose,

They're offered me."

Always soothes the worker.

Always will be as we know now

"I see ruins," said he,

"the world they offered me?

Who wished the Lord's fall?"

If we lose feather,

Say you'll save me!

And no wimps can bend the rules..

And no wimps can do..

Hunt next to the shore,

'Cause they see all from there,

See here's the news,

Who walks with mute grief!

Perhaps god found thee...

"Heavy, lift me out,"

Spake the Reve,

"Someday, failed, we'll lose one line-up,

They've gotta leave for satan

And no wimps can do..

And no wimps can do...

He, who say the lords

Thoth have our laws,

Maat must be superb. Mass is ended..

Over there,

He who should learn thee.

Any moot that serves by my sworn music,

I wish it with snow be shown,

All for my mass's sake.

Hear where its sung,

here, oppositioner, Ohh..

He who should show

May make his show worthy,

To look, for us, odd.. sickly,

There's one chance - take his show.

Hold thy head,

Hear where its sung here. oppositioner.

Who owns this earth built below?

Oh sweet Israel...

The words "Play backwards" although only semi clear, make a direct notion that this is for real.

The reference to a Parishoner, is ironic in that the Page bought "Boleskine House" was built on the site where a church burnt to the ground with parishnor's inside (no thats not just legend.)

The words "pray for three who will make it hear late" is a stretch, but a little creepy giving Bonham passed early. The word Satan being heard clearly with the term "666" being said right after Satan? Crowley claimed to be the beast "666" and they used the word "toolshed" where Boleskine House was often refered to as the "Toolshed" a room that was used as a torcher chamber for slaves hundreds of years ago.

The words "Maat must be superb" and "666" being used is ironic as well becase Plant & Page wrote the song. Plant's occultic symbol is a Maat Feather, and Page's (although opinions vary) is the zodiac sign for Capricorn with Crowley's interpteration of "666". How odd both explinations were mentioned.

And then of course lyrics in the forwards version that "could" possible hint to the backwards existance. Such as..

"You know sometimes words have two meanings"

"All of our thoughts are misgiven"

"Yes there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road your on"

"And if you listen very hard, the tune will come to you at last, WHEN ALL ARE ONE AND ONE IS ALL."

There is just too much convincing history behind the song, behind the band members, behind Page's facination with Crowley. The fact alot of the words sound clear, its by far the best example of possible backmasking ever recorded. And of course, the song has become as legendary and historic as it has. So your take...you believe this is for real, pure coincidence, thoughts....

There was only supposed to be one verse backwards, not the entire song. There is no backmasking in the song whatsoever.

We can't even start a new board without this crap. Make it stop! :rant: *insert exploding head smiley army here*

First off, im sorry to offend anyone with this. For the records though...too many people associate this and Page's occult stuff with Satanisim...which could not be further from the truth. Crowley was not a Satanist, it was occultic, and magick, and that stuff. First off, Crowley hated Christianity and took things like Satan in a more mythological sense. And as Plant & Page wrote in their song "Most High"..."David's seed talks through his paper crown" which belittle's Jesus if anything. I don't think they meant any offense towards Christianity either, i dont understand what people mix the occult with real religion. This "one verse" business is just the most clear part of the song, and people concentrate on just that. Listen to the song backwards with the lyrics i posted, you'll probably make out alot of what it is. As far as Robert Denying it...i know that does make for great hype. But Robert also said he'd never do a Zeppelin reunion and guess what...He also said after 1988 he would never sing Stairway, and he did, so....more reflections.

Indeed very detailed post ZoSo88. I think that eventually only the band members themselves or perhaps even only Jimmy Page know the real answer to it. What I find interesting however is that a lot of people don't hear the backward lyrics unless you show them to them and play the song again. This is also taught in psychology classes when talking about sensation and perception and the lyrics for Stairway to Heaven are supposed to be a common example then.

First off, im sorry to offend anyone with this. For the records though...too many people associate this and Page's occult stuff with Satanisim...which could not be further from the truth. Crowley was not a Satanist, it was occultic, and magick, and that stuff. First off, Crowley hated Christianity and took things like Satan in a more mythological sense. And as Plant & Page wrote in their song "Most High"..."David's seed talks through his paper crown" which belittle's Jesus if anything. I don't think they meant any offense towards Christianity either, i dont understand what people mix the occult with real religion. This "one verse" business is just the most clear part of the song, and people concentrate on just that. Listen to the song backwards with the lyrics i posted, you'll probably make out alot of what it is. As far as Robert Denying it...i know that does make for great hype. But Robert also said he'd never do a Zeppelin reunion and guess what...He also said after 1988 he would never sing Stairway, and he did, so....more reflections.

I didn't mean Robert's denying it makes for great hype; I meant threads like these do (respectfully...).

And there's a big difference between reneging and lying. I just think if there were real truth to this backwards-masking issue w/ Stairway, he'd man-up about it - at least to some extent, and not dismiss it so thoroughly. I believe he's got way more character and integrity than that.

True that only they know. I've never heard Jimmy deny the alligations, I heard Robert deny them, as well as Swan Song. And from a psycological perspective, yes I have taken classes where it has been brought up. I first listened to it in reverse without the aid of any lyrics and i honestly heard quite a bit, but the lyrics obviously help. Keep in mind though that Robert is often hard to understand if you dont know the original lyrics anyway. And plus, backmasking is no direct science, any example, even directly intentional ones need the aid of visual lyrical support because of the way it sounds anyway. I just believe there is far too much coincidence to be ignored. For the longest time i doubted it too, untill i did the research, listened, and found out there is certinaly enough backing to at least warrant it worthy of concideration. I also think alot of people chose to deny the possiblity due to the alleged lyrics being so called "satanic" but i honestly think if you listen, its not meant to be satan supporting at all, more like a sad story with an uplifting ending. And these alleged lyrics point out things related to the forwards and the same the other way around. With plenty of odd references in the backwards lyrics as it is. It might all add up. If people simply can hear nothing, then thats a matter of personal opinion. But if you hear anything close to the lyrics i posted when listening backwards, i think its something to concider instead of dismissing outright.

like i said, if you can't hear it, you can't hear it. Even if you listen forwards for the first time, you might not clearly understand all the words, thats just Robert. Every person i've played if for in person has been shocked, even a little creeped out. Idk though, im not looking to sell anyone on the idea, mearly sharing an opinion. And i know for all those who do think it might be true, and can hear things, the lyrics i posted might help alot.

Agreed. The California State Assemly even held meetings to discuss it, when was the last time you heard of meetings being held in regards to backmasking? It has to sound clear enough to get that far. But even if you hear nothing at all. Just knowing Pagey was into reversing sounds, and Crowley taught his followers to listen to records in reverse. Thats pretty odd coincidence to assume That someone into that stuff, might now have done it on Stairway? And it just happens to sound that way by mere coincidence? I dont know man. Also, when i became with getting into backmasking, i wanted to much to find another Zep tune that had it. True, the word Satan can come up in random songs when reversed, thats well known. But ive heard little things hear and there in Zep tunes, but nothing like Stairway. If you believe its coincidence, then someone should be able to come up with just as clear satanic things, with all the Crowley references, etc...in a song like Ten Years gone. I couldn't do that, which further convinces me about Stairway, its truely a unique piece, any way you listen to it.

You also got to understand.

1. Plant is hard to understand forwards if you don't already know the words.

2. Even intentional backmasking is very hard to understand because its not an exact science, its emmensly difficult, and reversing a track alone distorts the sound and changes the tone of any normal human voice.

So alot of it is hard to understand, without the aid of the words. I needed to read Stairway forward lyrics before i clearly heard everything.

But I challenge anyone to come up with lyrics of that content and of such coincidental extent, in any Zeppelin song, even do just one verse. I bet you can't. Thats why I think it was done intentionally.

Who owns this earth built below?

Oh sweet Israel...

That sounds like some New World Order/Illuminati shit right there. Alistair Crowley was thought to be involved with that stuff - look it up if you care to know more.

Agreed...and after all, whatever your religion is, whether it be christianity, judaism, islam, and alot of occultic stuff...always points to the holy land, or Isreal if you will.

And the line "Who owns this earth built below, oh sweet Isreal" again for to much to be a coincidence, now if it said "oh sweet, Brooklyn" or something like that, then i'd be like hey..that doesnt make any sense. But c'mon with the coincidence theory, this stuff is too much not to add up.

Agreed. The California State Assemly even held meetings to discuss it, when was the last time you heard of meetings being held in regards to backmasking?

There aren't any because the horse is dead! Feel free to keep kicking it.

Look, allow me to save you additional untold hours on this pointless pursuit of finding the devil in everything. Take out a LIVE recording of Stairway to Heaven. Ok,now

put it on the turntable and play that demon-possessed lil' bastard in reverse. There!

THERE! You hear those sounds. Those same sounds as heard on the studio version?

Yes. Exactly. Your taking a purely coincidental amalgamation of sound and assigning

meaning to what your hearing. IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD BUDDY! I mean holy shit, I

mean Ghost, that freaking Piper really is calling YOU -- yes you -- to join him!

I'm scared now. I've got to log off and write REDRUM 13 times on the bathroom

mirror or else the Candyman will come up through my plumbing again and demand

that I either eat glass or listen to Nirvana. How I do hate to eat all that glass.

Okay buddy, the reason you can hear similar things on a live version is because it was (in my opinion) intentional in the first place! So of course variations of the original are going to sound similar. If you either can't hear anything, or dont belive its true, thats cool...alot of people share that same view. But you also have to understand that alot of people believe it is true, and god knows there is enough things to back it...so its at least worthy of discussion. No need to insult anyone. Im not insulted with anyone who disagrees.

I have to say, it is pure coincidental, and it is all in your head, I formed this opinion a long time ago. I read some interview about Jimmy Page and he talked about his love for Crowley, a lot of people misunderstand his love for the dark arts, to some it may seem scary, but to him it brings a sense of peace (from his childhood). I see no reason to why he would do something like this, and yeah if you listen to it without lyrics you don't hear it for a reason because there is nothing there, only when you read along you hear it because your brain expects it, and I am sure some crazy guy out there who dispises Led Zeppelin started to listen to it backwards, "wanting" to hear something.

There aren't any because the horse is dead! Feel free to keep kicking it.

Look, allow me to save you additional untold hours on this pointless pursuit of finding the devil in everything. Take out a LIVE recording of Stairway to Heaven. Ok,now

put it on the turntable and play that demon-possessed lil' bastard in reverse. There!

THERE! You hear those sounds. Those same sounds as heard on the studio version?

Yes. Exactly. Your taking a purely coincidental amalgamation of sound and assigning

meaning to what your hearing. IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD BUDDY! I mean holy shit, I

mean Ghost, that feaking Piper really is calling YOU -- yes you -- to join him!

I'm scared now. I've got to log off and write REDRUM 13 times on the bathroom

mirror or else the Candyman will come up through my plumbing again and demand

that I either eat glass or listen to Nirvana. How I do hate to eat all that glass.

I hope while you're chewing on that glass that you learn some respect. Some people have their own opinions, I respect yours, so you'd be nice to not embark on a ridiculing and insulting crusade of other's.

And I don't believe in this satanic backward messaging stuff all too much, but I believe those lyrics that were posted there have relevance to some things i've read to do with the NWO that just seem more than a coinsidence. It's strange.

No insult to the band either, because as I said, this may be purely coinsidential, and even if it weren't - they're still my favourite fuckin' band! Like I care.

I actually feel very guilty now for bringing this up in the Stairway To Heaven thread because it becomes kinda ugly now. Why can't we just have different opinions without attacking each other? And why all these generalizations, that people who think there might be truth about it or simply find it interesting are accused of insulting the band? Finding it interesting or believing it was made intentionally doesn't mean the same than calling them satanists or accusing them to make satanist lyrics. :(

Archived