Out On The Town With Jimmy Page

Halfin has updated the 25 October page on his Diary to include the following:-

The Arctic Monkeys and The Strypes at Earls Court. I went to just see the show with Jimmy Page. Jimmy liked the Strypes, they were like the Yardbirds mixed with Doctor Feelgood. Off stage they looked like children which I suppose they are - the singer has just turned sixteen. Chris Difford from Squeeze manages them. I would like to see them again.

Went to say hello to the Arctic Monkeys, and as I had my OM-D E-M1 with me I took a few photos of Alex Turner and some from the seats high above the stage. The crowd was like "chav" convention, all 18,000 of them having a hooligan night out throwing beer and going mad…

The Monkeys had a bar after with a great DJ. Instead of the usual shit it was Golden Earring, Hawkwind, Quo, Motorhead, Thin Lizzy - a good night out

The photograph is the copyright of Ross Halfin

post-14347-0-44757000-1382885979_thumb.j

This is ancient 'Out On The Town...' stuff, but I just found a link detailing a party attended by Jimmy and other rock stars in 1975.

It comes from a blog covering the Portobello Film Festival. http://www.portobellofilmfestival.com/talkpics/talk-babylon4.html This is from Section 4 "Houses of The Unholy"

"...Hello Satan, I believe it’s time to go. In 1975 Jimmy Page appeared at a party thrown by the hippy socialite Sally Sparkle at the southern end of Portobello, which turned into a heavy rock jamming session, also featuring Mick Jagger, Rod Stewart, Jeff Beck, Ronnie Wood and George Butler. In due course, this caused what has to be the hippest local noise complaint of them all, followed by the least heavy Portobello police incident – in which the rock stars were politely ushered to their limos. ‘Hello Satan, I believe it’s time to go.’"

• 2 weeks later...

i was on my lunch break around Marylebone and i caught him coming out of a sandwich shop and asked for a photo, he said "what do you want that for" with a cheeky smile, i let loose, "coz your the most amazing fucking human ever" he chuckled and asked if i play guitar, i said yeah and drums, i hear you need musicians? "not just yet" he said, we laughed took the photo and i wished him luck with the remasters and said ill see him on stage soon? thumbs up and a maybe is what i got as he walked off! and i still didnt get me lunch!

Henrybonzo,

Thanks so much for posting this here. It's fantastic!! Would you possibly provide more detail on this. For example, where about in London were you, what time of day, was he with Halfin or Makowski?

I think it's brilliant that you went out one day, and just happened to meet Jimmy. :thumbsup:

just met him, first time and what a lovely bloke! i even offered my drumming services!

Thanks HB,

His son in law is called Tom Brown (Scarlet's husband) I wonder if it was him. I've attached a photo here of Tom with Scarlet so you can see if it's the same bloke.

post-14347-0-22905600-1384186277.png

Marylebone High St around 1430

he was with a young fella called Tom and they were chatting about the Bm chord

Is Tom Brown a musician?

According to Wikipedia, an astronaut (!). Never seen that anywhere else though, so perhaps that is just someone playing silly buggers (I know, call the cops, SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET!!!!)

i was on my lunch break around Marylebone and i caught him coming out of a sandwich shop and asked for a photo, he said "what do you want that for" with a cheeky smile, i let loose, "coz your the most amazing fucking human ever" he chuckled and asked if i play guitar, i said yeah and drums, i hear you need musicians? "not just yet" he said, we laughed took the photo and i wished him luck with the remasters and said ill see him on stage soon? thumbs up and a maybe is what i got as he walked off! and i still didnt get me lunch!

What a great story, good for you and always nice to hear what a gent Jimmy is. Also, nice job pressing him about needing musicians! :-D

Very nice, HB, it is awesome that a regular here on the forum ran into him!

Love your photo! :)

Thanks for sharing this, henrybonzo. I also loved you got in asking about his album. It sounds so exciting and thanks for sharing your lovely picture. :)

henrybonzo,

When I clicked on the photo of the two of you, the zoom facility showed up the brand of scarf Jimmy is wearing - Lonsdale. It is only £5.99 and the photo of the scarf is on their website. Here's the link for anyone wanting to get the authentic Jimmy Page look. The one Jimmy has got is the black stripe. I thought it would be from some really expensive designer - wrong.

http://store.lonsdale.com/lonsdale-college-scarf-902249

post-14347-0-73715500-1384212141.jpg

just met him, first time and what a lovely bloke! i even offered my drumming services!

i didnt even know who he was, just saw Jimmy and steamed in! lived in London all my life and opportunities like this are rare!

Awesome story and great photo! I had to laugh " just saw Jimmy and steamed in! " . Thanks for sharing the experience :peace:

Archived