Out On The Town With Jimmy Page

Yes, that has been covered on this site in previous years. However, can you expand at all on the "grumpiness" aspect - were people going up to him to talk and getting a less than friendly response? He must get browned off at times.

More likely to get grumpy when he suspects it's an ebayer rather than a genuine fan, I've heard. Which is understandable. Perhaps he can tell them by the way their eagerness to get an autograph seems to outweigh their actual excitement at meeting him, or something.

Scylla,

I know what you mean about Ebayers. I also think it is down to their manner in general. People can be so bad mannered nowadays. There is a way of approaching famous people if you wish to ask for a photo/autograph.

I also think he must get a bit browned off when it is obvious that he is out at a venue trying to buy stuff, just like everyone else.

I also don't think it is right to approach celebrities if they are, for example, with their children.

More likely to get grumpy when he suspects it's an ebayer rather than a genuine fan, I've heard. Which is understandable. Perhaps he can tell them by the way their eagerness to get an autograph seems to outweigh their actual excitement at meeting him, or something.

Scylla,

I know what you mean about Ebayers. I also think it is down to their manner in general. People can be so bad mannered nowadays. There is a way of approaching famous people if you wish to ask for a photo/autograph.

I also think he must get a bit browned off when it is obvious that he is out at a venue trying to buy stuff, just like everyone else.

I also don't think it is right to approach celebrities if they are, for example, with their children.

I don't approach famous people unless they initiate the conversation. For example, signings, after gig chatter etc. Other than that, I'm far too shy.

Cookie,

I am a bit confused here. Famous people initiate conversations with you??? I take it you are referring to meeting them in the course of your work. Too shy :P? No way!!!

I don't approach famous people unless they initiate the conversation. For example, signings, after gig chatter etc. Other than that, I'm far too shy.

Cookie,

I am a bit confused here. Famous people initiate conversations with you??? I take it you are referring to meeting them in the course of your work. Too shy :P? No way!!!

Haha, yes. I've worked in offices with famous people in and the etiquette is not to talk to them unless they talk to you first (bit like the Queen). Also if I see them out on the street, like I did with Jimmy. I'd rather have the simple thrill of seeing them, rather than risk going away with the knowledge that I've annoyed or bothered them in some way.

That's an awesome article.

I've heard that the street is not open to public. How did you get here?

Thank you :)

It's open to the public, it's next to a high street and a public park and some tourist places.

Yeah, I used it to frame this article about Led Zeppelin

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/quora/what-is-so-great-about-le_b_3323216.html

I loved the articale. I am a little sorry you didn't talk to him. How interesting he would be out in his garden. I didn't know about the CCTV cameras. Interesting. ;) I have the new William Burgess book about the house (William Burgess and the High Victorian Dream) , which I love and love thinking about him living there. Like we are fans of him, he was a huge fan of William Burgess who built and designed it. If I got to meet Jimmy, I would give him one of my orginal drawings of him. :) Thanks for sharing your articale.

I loved the articale. I am a little sorry you didn't talk to him. How interesting he would be out in his garden. I didn't know about the CCTV cameras. Interesting. ;) I have the new William Burgess book about the house (William Burgess and the High Victorian Dream) , which I love and love thinking about him living there. Like we are fans of him, he was a huge fan of William Burgess who built and designed it. If I got to meet Jimmy, I would give him one of my orginal drawings of him. :) Thanks for sharing your articale.

Thank you aen, that's lovely of you to say you liked the article.

Might have to check out that book, it sounds really cool!

Thank you aen, that's lovely of you to say you liked the article.

Might have to check out that book, it sounds really cool!

You're welcome.

The book is on more than Tower House, but it's beautiful and its so cool that Jimmy lives in Burges's only building that isn't open to the public. It has a big section because it was his last building and was his own house when he died. This what it looks like. It is a beautiful book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/William-Burges-High-Victorian-Dream/dp/0711233497

Yeah, I used it to frame this article about Led Zeppelin

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/quora/what-is-so-great-about-le_b_3323216.html

Cool article! I know what you mean about being scared to meet Jimmy though. I once went to have a look at the Tower House when I was in the area and ended up hardly even breaking my stride, just had a glance and hurried on. (I’d brought a camera, but didn’t get it out). I mean, partly because hanging about seems kind of intrusive and rude, and partly because it was pouring down, but mainly because suddenly my gut just twisted and I felt scared that he’d appear, although there were no signs of life (blinds down in every window although it was the middle of the day). If he had have done, I’d have scarpered.

Of course, all this is probably doing him an injustice, as he’s often been extremely nice to people who approach him in public and even people who hang around his homes. (Really, if people are lurking around your actual house I think you'd be quite justified in getting fed up with it and telling them to bugger off).

I've been waiting for Ross Halfin to update his diary to see if he posts anything about the Film and Comic Con visit, no updates since the third :(

I have been waiting too! I hope he says something. :(

Cool article! I know what you mean about being scared to meet Jimmy though. I once went to have a look at the Tower House when I was in the area and ended up hardly even breaking my stride, just had a glance and hurried on. (I’d brought a camera, but didn’t get it out). I mean, partly because hanging about seems kind of intrusive and rude, and partly because it was pouring down, but mainly because suddenly my gut just twisted and I felt scared that he’d appear, although there were no signs of life (blinds down in every window although it was the middle of the day). If he had have done, I’d have scarpered.

Of course, all this is probably doing him an injustice, as he’s often been extremely nice to people who approach him in public and even people who hang around his homes. (Really, if people are lurking around your actual house I think you'd be quite justified in getting fed up with it and telling them to bugger off).

I would hope I wouldn't be scared, but I probobly would be.

I'm really quite confused about these people popping up that say he was rude or grumpy towards them. Both times I've met him he was a real darling. I think he could tell we were honest, non-intrusive people. I have nothing but fond memories of our meetings last year. Both meetings weren't planned. He even had his son with him and still came up to us to say hi (not the other way around).

On the other hand: if the man can't even go shopping without being photographed like an animal in a zoo, who can blame him for being grumpy at times? I certainly can't..Makes me wonder what they did to put him off like this^^

I'm really quite confused about these people popping up that say he was rude or grumpy towards them. Both times I've met him he was a real darling. I think he could tell we were honest, non-intrusive people. I have nothing but fond memories of our meetings last year. Both meetings weren't planned. He even had his son with him and still came up to us to say hi (not the other way around).

On the other hand: if the man can't even go shopping without being photographed like an animal in a zoo, who can blame him for being grumpy at times? I certainly can't..Makes me wonder what they did to put him off like this^^

The answer may well be that you're female. Jimmy always seems to be extremely charming to random street ladies ;)

Zeprex,

Are you able to share with us more details of your two meetings last year with Jimmy? Where was it etc? You are certainly very lucky.

well I wasn't alone^^ I had my mother and brother with me so we were a good mixture^^ plus both meetings didn't actually happen "on the streets" as such..we were in quiet, but public environments both times

The answer may well be that you're female. Jimmy always seems to be extremely charming to random street ladies ;)

Zeprex,

Are you able to share with us more details of your two meetings last year with Jimmy? Where was it etc? You are certainly very lucky.

I know I'm lucky kenog. My pic with Jimmy is framed on my wall now^^

The first time we met him was in a cafe where he was alone on Friday 13th July and the second time in a shopping mall with his son a day later, both times in London. He was absolutely charming as my mum approached him after he had finished his lunch (neither my bro nor me had the guts to go up to him). You know, we kinda thought that he would say hi and go but he paid and sat down at our table and we had a good chat..well, mostly my brother with him..the convo ended with Jimmy asking if my brother wanted a picture. he said yes of course and after they had finished I plucked up the courage to ask for a photograph too (in a public cafe, that must have looked great^^)..but I had forgotten all about the people surrounding me^^ we said our goodbyes and he walked out and that was it..thinking about it now is very very surreal. as I said, the second time was a day later in a shopping mall where he saw us first and he came up and said hi, introduced his son, shook our hands and vanished again cause he was in some kind of hurry.

that was it really..nothing too interesting but still memorable days in our lives..

ZepRex,

Thanks for posting this. :thumbsup: It sounds fantastic - was it a café and shopping mall in the Kensington area?

I am delighted at how he responded to you and your family on both occasions. I have usually heard that he is very pleasant to fans. I think he must get annoyed when he is trying to shop or look around the film poster sales like everyone else. Again, as I have said before, it also comes down to how you approach the person. Manners count for a lot.

The first time we met him was in a cafe where he was alone on Friday 13th July and the second time in a shopping mall with his son a day later, both times in London. He was absolutely charming as my mum approached him after he had finished his lunch (neither my bro nor me had the guts to go up to him). You know, we kinda thought that he would say hi and go but he paid and sat down at our table and we had a good chat..well, mostly my brother with him..the convo ended with Jimmy asking if my brother wanted a picture. he said yes of course and after they had finished I plucked up the courage to ask for a photograph too (in a public cafe, that must have looked great^^)..but I had forgotten all about the people surrounding me^^ we said our goodbyes and he walked out and that was it..thinking about it now is very very surreal. as I said, the second time was a day later in a shopping mall where he saw us first and he came up and said hi, introduced his son, shook our hands and vanished again cause he was in some kind of hurry.

that was it really..nothing too interesting but still memorable days in our lives..

Thank you so much for sharing! That's even cooler that he introduced his son.

Do you remember which one? He has two.

It does not surprise me. People have always said how nice he generally is. :)

Good for you, what a great story! Post the picture some time!

As some have speculated, I bet the grumpiness was due to professional autograph hounds as opposed to fans.

Archived