Out On The Town With Jimmy Page

You forgot to mention that I apologized to the other poster. IMO, the fact that someone else put the information about Page on another site doesn't mean we HAVE to put it here. We could chose not to follow a higher standard here. Posters will agree or disagree, but I think it is a discussion worth having.

One question worth asking is why posters' privacy is more important than that of anyone from Zep or their entourage?

The information was available on the internet. Why don't you contact the person who put the information on the public internet, and give them your opinion. I think I know what there answer would be.

You are bothered? Why are you bothered when you easily made the most intrusive post on the thread this week by asking another member at post 133:-

1) How old is your mother?

2) Is she British?

3) Does she regularly frequent the cafe where you ran into Jimmy Page?

4) How old are you and your brother?

That post crossed the line bigtime, and the member was entitled to defend her privacy from you.

I think you will find that throughout this site the specific names of restaurants and other shops where JPP has been spotted by members of the public (even streetmarkets) have been named.

I can't believe it either. I think Jimmy tries his level best to be diplomatic and pleasant when he is asked about someone else's efforts. For him to make these comments days later, I wonder if he was chased up by Lez Zeppelin's management. It is like they were using JPP to promote themselves. Having watched various clips of their act, I don't think I could listen to more than one song by them. Personally, I'd rather stay at home and listen to my albums - the real thing.

Yeah, let's get back to the topic.

https://twitter.com/LedZepNews/status/355866636705742848

Page corroborates their story. “They played the Led Zeppelin music with an extraordinary sensuality,” he proclaims, some days later. “They certainly played with an energy and passion that highlighted their superb musicianship.”

I can't believe I'm reading this.

Yeah, let's get back to the topic.https://twitter.com/LedZepNews/status/355866636705742848Page corroborates their story. “They played the Led Zeppelin music with an extraordinary sensuality,” he proclaims, some days later. “They certainly played with an energy and passion that highlighted their superb musicianship.”I can't believe I'm reading this.

I can't believe it either. I think Jimmy tries his level best to be diplomatic and pleasant when he is asked about someone else's efforts. For him to make these comments days later, I wonder if he was chased up by Lez Zeppelin's management. It is like they were using JPP to promote themselves. Having watched various clips of their act, I don't think I could listen to more than one song by them. Personally, I'd rather stay at home and listen to my albums - the real thing.

I was very surprised by Jimmy's praise of them too. I can't believe he actually thought they were good. I hated what little I have heard. I'd also rather the real thing

The reason poster's privacy is more important is because they are not celebrities and, therefore, not used to invasions of privacy by people who do not know them. Also, members' names are anonymised on here by having a username, unless they choose to use their own name. Also, any personal detail given on their profile page is at the member's discretion.

It is also an individual members decision what information they wish to lift from other sites and put here - it is not done by consultation beforehand with a committee. You may find that posters are too busy with their lives, or too interested in the music, to discuss something as trivial. The Webmaster/moderator decides what posts stay or get pulled.

You forgot to mention that I apologized to the other poster. IMO, the fact that someone else put the information about Page on another site doesn't mean we HAVE to put it here. We could chose not to follow a higher standard here. Posters will agree or disagree, but I think it is a discussion worth having.

One question worth asking is why posters' privacy is more important than that of anyone from Zep or their entourage?

'this thread's purpose is basically to stalk'

Check what 'stalker' means before you chuck it around.

Fortunately for me, I don't need to 'check' what stalker means. But it may interest you to know:

Stalking is unwanted or obsessive attention by an individual or group toward another person. Stalking behaviors are related to harassment and intimidation and may include following the victim in person or monitoring them.

Cyberstalking is the use of the Internet or other electronic means to stalk or harass an individual, a group of individuals, or an organization.

Behaviors

Cyberstalkers find their victims by using search engines, online forums, bulletin and discussion boards, chat rooms, and more recently, through social networking sites,[22] such as MySpace, Facebook, Bebo, Friendster, Twitter, and Indymedia, a media outlet known for self-publishing...Cyberstalkers may research individuals to feed their obsessions and curiosity.

wikipedia.org

And yes, I read the first page, what gave you the impression that I hadn't???

Also, let's make sure that we respect Jimmy's privacy, so no discussion of his addresses or family.

There have been discussion of Page's addresses and family in this thread, so therefore, by your definition of privacy, the man's privacy has been invaded, correct? Furthermore, as the OP, you certainly haven't voiced any distaste for the invasive discussions. Just saying...

And as for hypocrisy, that's yet unfair charge to level here.

No.

The reason poster's privacy is more important is because they are not celebrities and, therefore, not used to invasions of privacy by people who do not know them.

This doesn't make any sense to me. It would be quite harder to obtain information about a member on a forum than it would a celebrity. And are celebrities 'used' to having their privacy invaded, and does that make it okay somehow?

All very interesting from a "new" member. :hysterical:

Fortunately for me, I don't need to 'check' what stalker means. But it may interest you to know:

And yes, I read the first page, what gave you the impression that I hadn't???

There have been discussion of Page's addresses and family in this thread, so therefore, by your definition of privacy, the man's privacy has been invaded, correct? Furthermore, as the OP, you certainly haven't voiced any distaste for the invasive discussions. Just saying...

No.

This doesn't make any sense to me. It would be quite harder to obtain information about a member on a forum than it would a celebrity. And are celebrities 'used' to having their privacy invaded, and does that make it okay somehow?

It wouldn't be hard if you are asking members the questions directly regarding their personal details.

Yes, celebrities are used to having their privacy invaded by the media - celebrities retain the services of PR agents to ensure that they receive media coverage, as and when it suits them.

It doesn't necessarily make it ok, but they can always cry into their bank accounts. Alternatively, they could refrain from placing new products on the market place, and then no one would give a shit about what they do or don't do. The "ordinary" members here do not have that luxury - they are too busy trying to pay their way through life.

How nice to have the opportunity to talk to a "new" member.

I am still a "newbie" here myself but dislike how some of these wonderful threads get derailed by ridiculousness. I love this thread. For those who have had the pleasure of seeing or meeting Jimmy Page I am sure it is a thrill to share. I know I love to read these stories especially since I have never had the pleasure myself. I live in Pittsburgh - not many celebrities running around here. Maybe the Clarks, Donnie Iris, or Michael Keaton!

If you see me coming out of a bookstore, I give you permission to share. I favor Barnes and Noble at the Waterfront in Pittsburgh (shame on me for sharing the name and location) but I admit that I do buy most of my stuff online. :)

I am still a "newbie" here myself but dislike how some of these wonderful threads get derailed by ridiculousness. I love this thread. For those who have had the pleasure of seeing or meeting Jimmy Page I am sure it is a thrill to share. I know I love to read these stories especially since I have never had the pleasure myself. I live in Pittsburgh - not many celebrities running around here. Maybe the Clarks, Donnie Iris, or Michael Keaton!

If you see me coming out of a bookstore, I give you permission to share. I favor Barnes and Noble at the Waterfront in Pittsburgh (shame on me for sharing the name and location) but I admit that I do buy most of my stuff online. :)

This was a really nice post, thank you :)

^^^ Thank you. BTW I loved your article - very well written. The last paragraph says it all. I have been thinking of treating myself to a venture overseas for graduation in May. Maybe I will walk past his house as well but I know I would feel the same way if I happened to see him. So I probably won't go there!

Yes, celebrities are used to having their privacy invaded by the media - celebrities retain the services of PR agents to ensure that they receive media coverage, as and when it suits them...

Well there are celebrities and then there are public figures. They aren't always the same thing. I think we can all agree that Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones are celebrities and that they can afford to hire PR staff. But even celebrities have feelings and are entitled to a bit of privacy.

Then you have the ordinary citizens who are thrust into the public spotlight (sometimes against their will) and thus, become public figures. People like Rachel Jeantel and Oliver Sipple. They don't have PR firms to help them cope with the media attention. They don't have stylists and hairdressers to make sure they look their best every time they step outside. Perfect strangers don't see anything wrong with ripping them to shreds on the internet.

And then there is a member on this site who didn't want to answer your unnecessarily intrusive questions. I think for the sake of not derailing this thread, that matters are left as they are, and we all move on to something more important.

Well there are celebrities and then there are public figures. They aren't always the same thing. I think we can all agree that Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones are celebrities and that they can afford to hire PR staff. But even celebrities have feelings and are entitled to a bit of privacy.

Then you have the ordinary citizens who are thrust into the public spotlight (sometimes against their will) and thus, become public figures. People like Rachel Jeantel and Oliver Sipple. They don't have PR firms to help them cope with the media attention. They don't have stylists and hairdressers to make sure they look their best every time they step outside. Perfect strangers don't see anything wrong with ripping them to shreds on the internet.

It wouldn't be hard if you are asking members the questions directly regarding their personal details.

If I asked you...

"What is your full name?"

"What are the names of your family members?"

"What city do you reside in?"

"What places do you frequent?"

...would you tell me? Why or why not?

Yes, celebrities are used to having their privacy invaded by the media - celebrities retain the services of PR agents to ensure that they receive media coverage, as and when it suits them.

Okay, but is that the case here? It isn't 'media coverage' from the BBC reporting Page is shopping here or eating there, it is the common people talking with one another and then people like yourself turn it into a news broadcast. Then again, I don't know you. Maybe you are a journalist? What is your occupation?

Cyberstalkers may research individuals to feed their obsessions and curiosity.

wikipedia.org

It doesn't necessarily make it ok, but they can always cry into their bank accounts. Alternatively, they could refrain from placing new products on the market place, and then no one would give a shit about what they do or don't do. The "ordinary" members here do not have that luxury - they are too busy trying to pay their way through life.

So placing 'new products' on the market is a valid excuse to invade a person's privacy? Also, was it not people like yourself who have made Page wealthy...? I think that's hardly fair.

Yes, good to talk 'with' you too.

Go and take up a hobby - it will get you over your boredom

If I asked you...

Okay, but is that the case here? It isn't 'media coverage' from the BBC reporting Page is shopping here or eating there, it is the common people talking with one another and then people like yourself turn it into a news broadcast. Then again, I don't know you. Maybe you are a journalist? What is your occupation?

So placing 'new products' on the market is a valid excuse to invade a person's privacy? Also, was it not people like yourself who have made Page wealthy...? I think that's hardly fair.

If I asked you...

Oh for the love of all that is holy your points have been made! Please let's return out on the town with Mr. Jimmy Page. I'm certain that if something posted is not appropriate it will be removed. If this thread offends your sense of right and wrong, do not read it. As my grandfather always told me: if you don't like what's on the radio, you can change the channel but don't trample on someone else's right to enjoy that which you do not.

Thank God for some common sense from the most literate member on this site.

:thumbsup:

When Jimmy & Ross arrived in Tokyo last October Ross tweeted early afternoon how good the weather was and that it was time to go record shopping. Anyone in Tokyo keenly interested in Jimmy Page would have known then exactly where to go to find them. My point to everyone is Jimmy realizes he's a public figure and that his public appearances are of interest to others. Seems to me all he's ever asked of the public is not to hound him for autographs or invade his personal space.

Oh for the love of all that is holy your points have been made! Please let's return out on the town with Mr. Jimmy Page. I'm certain that if something posted is not appropriate it will be removed. If this thread offends your sense of right and wrong, do not read it. As my grandfather always told me: if you don't like what's on the radio, you can change the channel but don't trample on someone else's right to enjoy that which you do not.

Well said Susan! :goodpost:

Susan,

We think you are dealing with a multiple banned member.

Archived