Out On The Town With Jimmy Page

^^^ Oh thank you for telling me that. I won't get mixed up in that nonsense. I do so enjoy this forum.

Most of the members here contribute in a very positive way. It's just a select few who chose not to do so and stir up things with a lot of negativity.

My point to everyone is Jimmy realizes he's a public figure and that his public appearances are of interest to others. Seems to me all he's ever asked of the public is not to hound him for autographs or invade his personal space.

What in your opinion would constitute invading his personal space? Also, if I may ask, seeing how you are a major contributor to this forum, do you use discretion when deciding what you'll post here?

I agree with another member who said this conversation is worth having, for the sake of Page's privacy, feelings and safety. And there is a safety issue. Celebrities such as Lindsey Lo'hand' and Paris Hilton had their homes burglarized to the tune of several million dollars. Twitter made it possible for the burglars to know when they were not in their home. And let us not forget the recent restraining order Plant filed against an obsessed fan.

Perhaps there is little reason to worry about the members on this forum, but I think we should be cognisant of those who are looking in and may not have the best of intentions.

What in your opinion would constitute invading his personal space? Also, if I may ask, seeing how you are a major contributor to this forum, do you use discretion when deciding what you'll post here?

Generally speaking, about three to five feet from the end of his nose. Unwarranted videotaping and photography is also discourteous.

I use a modicum of discretion in all my public posts. For example, I often hold off on posting details of a public appearance until it is confirmed he's left the vicinity. This holds true particularly so in major markets like New York City and paparazzi-infested Los Angeles. I am convinced Ross often does the same.

Again, Jimmy's well aware he is a public figure and that his public appearances are of interest to others. It seems to me all he's ever asked of the public is not to hound him for autographs or hassle him unnecessarily. Respect between a public figure and the general public should be mutual and generally speaking with Jimmy it is.

Interesting shirt. I'm surprised he would wear one depicting the Virgin Mary, but, besides the "Recovering Catholic" shirt, I've never seen him to be anti-Catholic/Christian. There is even one picture from the 80's of him wearing a crucifix.

It's a pretty interesting thing for Jimmy to wear. He's wearing a shirt warning against having really high expectations of someone/something, as they're never going to meet up to them. It's a common critique of celebrity culture.

Also, anyone had any luck finding that T-shirt online? I've exhausted all avenues of search, it simply doesn't exist anywhere on the internet. It's either a custom John Varvatos print for Jimmy (it matches the JV house style) or something he picked up in the East. I'm erring towards the former.

Says who?

The symbolism of a religious figure or person of cultural importance on a pedestal is often found in classical artwork (and indeed more modern interpretations) to represent the ancient ideals of formalised religion and indeed the more modern 'cult' of celebrity. It's a very common symbol.

Please don't reply with 'says who?' Steve. I have immense respect for you and it's really disheartening for me to see you reply like that instead of, perhaps, using Google to search for the phrase. I don't mean to offend you, or enter into an argument with you. If you disagree with me, that's fine.

Dahlings .. let's talk fashion!

The lovely JP has consistently appropriated imagery and iconography in his clothing and otherwise, with the most serious intent.

And yet..

He's also crafted his image with all the frivolous spirit of modern fashion trends. ( Those tartan trousers : how else to explain ? )

John Varvatos : what was that all about ? Money, yes, of course .

But it presented him squarely as a fashion icon in all those first-class-lounge glossies ..

Amidst all those press conferences, premieres, interviews last year, which of the three members had some very notable style thing going on ? That's who he is.

So as long ago as last summer, one of the big fashion labels was working the Virgin Mary imagery :

http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/S2013MEN-GIVENCHY

As have other celebrities:

http://www.graziadaily.co.uk/fashion/archive/2012/08/28/everyones-wearing-givenchy-tees--rihanna--rita-ora--liberty-ross--kanye--jay-z.htm

I don't know if Jimmy's T Shirt is Givenchy, or whether derived from that. Nor do I think Jimmy - at all - is aping this rihanna/rita ora/ etc behaviour ( and anyway he's snapped in a fan photo, not doing this in a public capacity). I do think he's knowingly picked up on a key fashion trend .

I love that he understands that fashion and imagery can be both meaningful, and totally meaningless, at the same time: it's all available for our use, if we understand how to play it. I'm sure that's what this is about: he's casually wearing some cool fashion trend.

What I also love is the way we are all angsting over the apparent meaning of the T shirt ! No wonder, with such an enigmatic track record.

But guys, surely, this time it's frivolous !

Dahlings .. let's talk fashion!

The lovely JP has consistently appropriated imagery in his clothing and otherwise, with the most serious intent.

And yet..

He's also crafted his image with all the frivolous spirit of modern fashion trends. ( Those tartan trousers : how else to explain ? )

John Varvatos : what was that all about ? Money, yes, of course .

But it presented him squarely as a fashion icon in all those first-class-lounge glossies ..

Amidst all those press conferences, premieres, interviews last year, which of the three members had some very notable style thing going on ? That's who he is.

So as long ago as last summer, one of the big fashion labels was working the Virgin Mary imagery :

http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/S2013MEN-GIVENCHY

As have other celebrities:

http://www.graziadaily.co.uk/fashion/archive/2012/08/28/everyones-wearing-givenchy-tees--rihanna--rita-ora--liberty-ross--kanye--jay-z.htm

I don't know if Jimmy's T Shirt is Givenchy, or whether derived from that. Nor do I think Jimmy is aping this rihanna/rita ora/ etc behaviour ( and anyway he's snapped in a fan photo, not doing this in a public capacity). I do think he's knowingly picked up on a key fashion trend .

I love that he understands that fashion and imagery can be both meaningful, and totally meaningless, at the same time: it's all available for our use, if we understand how to play it. I'm sure that's what this is about: he's casually wearing some cool fashion trend.

What I also love is the way we are all angsting over the apparent meaning of the T shirt ! No wonder, with such an enigmatic track record.

But guys, surely, this time it's frivolous !

I'm liking the fashion post!

Let's not forget that Jimmy got some nice new threads for free. Ol' Led Wallet can't have turned his nose up at that.

Jimmy 'Bang On Trend' Page ;)

I'm liking the fashion post!

Let's not forget that Jimmy got some nice new threads for free. Ol' Led Wallet can't have turned his nose up at that.

Jimmy 'Bang On Trend' Page ;)

After the TV ad with guitarist Gary Clark Jr. I know this add was intended for TV, print and internet, but have yet to see it yet. Anyone come across it yet. I think if I recall it was to be released in late spring or early summer. Not sure about the specifics.

Here's the video from a few months ago. It's a good one. Gary Clark looks cool, but to me no one today looks cooler than Jimmy Page! His good health certainly helps!

The symbolism of a religious figure or person of cultural importance on a pedestal is often found in classical artwork (and indeed more modern interpretations) to represent the ancient ideals of formalised religion and indeed the more modern 'cult' of celebrity. It's a very common symbol.

Please don't reply with 'says who?' Steve. I have immense respect for you and it's really disheartening for me to see you reply like that instead of, perhaps, using Google to search for the phrase. I don't mean to offend you, or enter into an argument with you. If you disagree with me, that's fine.

There's a very fine line between

Jimmy's wearing a shirt warning against having really high expectations of someone/something, as they're never going to meet up to them

and

Jimmy's wearing a shirt warning against having really high expectations of someone/something, as they're never going to meet up to them.

In the first instance, the emphasis is on the shirt itself, in the second it's on Jimmy's intent. It was unclear to me if you were assigning meaning to the shirt according to yourself/others or reporting Jimmy's expressed intent. It has become clear to me now you are reporting an assigned meaning of the shirt, as opposed to reporting Jimmy's expressed intent.

When I asked "says who?" I was merely seeking clarification if Jimmy said so. It seems he did not.

I am sorry my intent was not made clear.

There's a very fine line between saying

Jimmy's wearing a shirt warning against having really high expectations of someone/something, as they're never going to meet up to them

and saying

Jimmy is wearing a shirt warning against having really high expectations of someone/something, as they're never going to meet up to them.

In the first instance, the emphasis is on the shirt itself, in the second it's on Jimmy's intent. I was merely seeking to determine if you were assigning meaning to the shirt according to others or Jimmy's expressed intent. It has become clear to me now that you are reporting the assigned meaning of the shirt, as opposed to reporting Jimmy's intent.

When I asked "says who?" I was merely seeking clarification if Jimmy himself had expressed his intent. It seems he did not. I am sorry my intent was not made clear.

That figures Steve. Working in the art industry means I end up reading too much into things for a living. No worries.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived