The Rolling Stones (1969-74)

SpookyE

Does anybody have any "unofficial" recordings you can you recommend?

I have two Madison square garden shows from 69

Altamont 69

Detroit 69

Baltimore 69

Essen 70

Paris 9/24/70

Leeds 71

Philadelphia Special (1972)

These are absolutely essential Stones bootlegs...the Brussels show you can actually buy from the official Rolling Stones website as they've started to release their own bootlegs.

1. Nov. 1969 Oakland Arena "Liver Than You'll Ever Be"

2. Jan. 1973 LA Forum...the Nicaraguan Earthquake Relief Benefit Concert "All Meat Music"

3. Feb. 24, 1973 Perth, Australia "Happy Birthday Nicky!"

4. Oct. 17, 1973 Brussels, Belgium "Brussels Affair"

5. Sept. 9, 1973 Wembley Empire Pool

Thanks for the reply Strider! I was beginning to think that no one was a stones fan here or I posted this in the wrong section haha.

As for the Brussels show, I have heard some people arguing to get the boot rather than the actual release. What is your take on it?

Thanks for the reply Strider! I was beginning to think that no one was a stones fan here or I posted this in the wrong section haha.

As for the Brussels show, I have heard some people arguing to get the boot rather than the actual release. What is your take on it?

As tomkid said, get both...the "Brussels Affair"(or "Nasty Music" or "Tour de Force") boots are mostly from the afternoon show, while the boot the Rolling Stones released thru their site is mostly the evening show.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm currently listening to the Perth 1973 show and I'm really enjoying this one!

Any recommendations for 1972?

The Philadelphia Special that you already listed is a good one. But the essential 1972 boot to have is the Madison Square Garden shows(there were three) of 1972...the most common boot is "Welcome to New York", with album cover art by William Stout(who did the "Burn That Candle", "Bonzo's Birthday Party", and "Pollution Alert" boot artwork, among countless others).

Fort Worth, TX is another good '72 show to have. These were the dates recorded for the official "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Rolling Stones" concert movie.

And although the sound isn't as good as the "Welcome to New York" soundboard, I've always liked the Hollywood Palladium boot of June 9, 1972...mainly for sentimental reasons, as that was my first Stones concert.

And my first time experiencing fear of dying.

These are absolutely essential Stones bootlegs...the Brussels show you can actually buy from the official Rolling Stones website as they've started to release their own bootlegs.

1. Nov. 1969 Oakland Arena "Liver Than You'll Ever Be"

2. Jan. 1973 LA Forum...the Nicaraguan Earthquake Relief Benefit Concert "All Meat Music"

3. Feb. 24, 1973 Perth, Australia "Happy Birthday Nicky!"

4. Oct. 17, 1973 Brussels, Belgium "Brussels Affair"

5. Sept. 9, 1973 Wembley Empire Pool

Agree with all of the above, the Nicaragua Benefit always having been a particular favourite of mine.

As tomkid said, get both...the "Brussels Affair"(or "Nasty Music" or "Tour de Force") boots are mostly from the afternoon show, while the boot the Rolling Stones released thru their site is mostly the evening show.

At least the Stones saw fit to use the same performance of "Midnight Rambler" on the official release as on the Brussels boots...IMO the greatest thirteen minutes of music those guys ever made onstage, absolutely perfect.

And my first time experiencing fear of dying.

Oh? Do tell...

Does anyone know of where I can find these online?

Since they're boots, I assume they're legal to distribute non-commercially.

Google is yer friend...the good people over at iorr.org might be able to sort you out as well.

Well after having more time on my hands, I have listened to empire pool and Brussels. I was In Rock n Roll bliss :bubble:

Empire pool had a spectacular version of You Can't Always Get What You Want.

Strider I agree with Nutrocker in that I'd like to hear more of this experience if possible....

Archived