New Empress Valley soundboard release - 13 Feb 1975 Nassau NY (w/Ron Wood!)

Triplet Kick

How is a previously uncirculated SBD a "rerun"?

If it's a soundboard for a show that already circulates in audience format, I consider it a rerun. Redundant, not to put too fine a point on it. Sure, it's a soundboard, but it's nothing new, if you can dig it. YMMV, of course...

...and if/when they do drop the big one(s) on us, you can expect those releases to have high prices indeed.

Then what's stopping them from dropping a "big one" on us, assuming they have any "big ones" to drop? Why tease us with these shows they've been putting out lately? I believe the last time EVSD offered up a recording of an uncirculated show was Houston '77, and that was -what?- five or six years ago now...I will continue to curb my enthusiasm, as it were, until they bring out something along those lines.

What can I say, the older I get, the more impatient I am when it comes to the possibility of one of the Missing Seven '77 shows making an appearance. As I've said many times, those seven shows are all I care about these days when it comes to collecting Zep recordings. It irks me to think that there is even the slightest possibility that one of those shows are being held back in favour of these 'reruns'...

good point. Seems like "EVSD" (or bootleggers) may be making an old business mistake that has always been a commonly made mistake: Holding out for a perceived increase in demand. They don't account for various factors (variables) that affect the amount of demand.

If you ask me, demand will diminish as time goes on, due to the hardcore "tape traders" and Zep fanatics aging out. The kids my age can give a flying fuck about Zeppelin boots. Will they like what they hear when someone plays the 5-30-77 sbd for them? Hell yes. Will they seek them out and purchase new SBDs? Hell no.

liberate them now if you still want to rape us of our hard earned dollars, Empress Valley

How about something from 1968-1972?

Very doubtful to be in their possession.

If it's a soundboard for a show that already circulates in audience format, I consider it a rerun. Redundant, not to put too fine a point on it. Sure, it's a soundboard, but it's nothing new, if you can dig it. YMMV, of course...

Then what's stopping them from dropping a "big one" on us, assuming they have any "big ones" to drop? Why tease us with these shows they've been putting out lately? I believe the last time EVSD offered up a recording of an uncirculated show was Houston '77, and that was -what?- five or six years ago now...I will continue to curb my enthusiasm, as it were, until they bring out something along those lines.

What can I say, the older I get, the more impatient I am when it comes to the possibility of one of the Missing Seven '77 shows making an appearance. As I've said many times, those seven shows are all I care about these days when it comes to collecting Zep recordings. It irks me to think that there is even the slightest possibility that one of those shows are being held back in favour of these 'reruns'...

Well...sorry to be an ass, but if you're only going to get excited about specific shows...I don't really know what to say, actually. Don't bring the rest of us down?

Very doubtful to be in their possession.

Well...sorry to be an ass, but if you're only going to get excited about specific shows...I don't really know what to say, actually. Don't bring the rest of us down?

Yer not an ass at all, Melcore, and I'm not trying to bring anybody down...I already said I know I hold the minority viewpoint.

Permission to rant...

I remember the days when there were no bootleg Zeppelin sites and a simple Google search to find bootlegs wasn't on the table. I found the original "source" through the old DG forums and "mailed away" for a catalouge. I used to pour over the lists of titles and try to research, by actually reading "books", what was good and what wasn't. Then, I'd get a "money order" from the "post office" and mail it away. After three weeks or so I would actually get excited to check the mail, knowing sooner or later that expensive but difficult to obtain anywhere else recording would show up. Four to six weeks later there it was, and I would spend many more months enjoying it. Worth every penny.

And I still enjoy watching the mailbox today waiting for that new bootleg, even though I order it via email, using different payment methods, and it shows up in 10 days, and I could download it for free if I wanted to. I download plenty, but I still pick and choose a few to purchase every year.

"Kids" are just that, kids. They haven't learned to appreciate the value of working and paying for something unique and enjoying it beyond just crappy MP3's on an iPod. To the young ones, don't be so sure your 35 year old self is still going to think the same way you do now at 18. You better hope your 35 year old self doesn't...

There is nothing wrong in buying bootlegs, and nothing wrong in not buying them and downloading them. However people want to enjoy them is up to the individual.

By the way, I bought this new box set. If you're looking for me I'll be out by the mailbox.

Yer not an ass at all, Melcore, and I'm not trying to bring anybody down...I already said I know I hold the minority viewpoint.

:P

I like my "spoiled" perspective of us...I'd kill for a soundboard from any of the Pink Floyd tours, for example.

Permission to rant...

I remember the days when there were no bootleg Zeppelin sites and a simple Google search to find bootlegs wasn't on the table. I found the original "source" through the old DG forums and "mailed away" for a catalouge. I used to pour over the lists of titles and try to research, by actually reading "books", what was good and what wasn't. Then, I'd get a "money order" from the "post office" and mail it away. After three weeks or so I would actually get excited to check the mail, knowing sooner or later that expensive but difficult to obtain anywhere else recording would show up. Four to six weeks later there it was, and I would spend many more months enjoying it. Worth every penny.

And I still enjoy watching the mailbox today waiting for that new bootleg, even though I order it via email, using different payment methods, and it shows up in 10 days, and I could download it for free if I wanted to. I download plenty, but I still pick and choose a few to purchase every year.

"Kids" are just that, kids. They haven't learned to appreciate the value of working and paying for something unique and enjoying it beyond just crappy MP3's on an iPod. To the young ones, don't be so sure your 35 year old self is still going to think the same way you do now at 18. You better hope your 35 year old self doesn't...

There is nothing wrong in buying bootlegs, and nothing wrong in not buying them and downloading them. However people want to enjoy them is up to the individual.

By the way, I bought this new box set. If you're looking for me I'll be out by the mailbox.

...So, wait, what are you saying? It seems like you're judging those who don't shell out the cash for these products, but then claim the opposite.

I'm sorry that the world has changed in your lifetime.

:P

I like my "spoiled" perspective of us...I'd kill for a soundboard from any of the Pink Floyd tours, for example.

Yeah, I hear you. I have more patience with Floyd audience recordings (and there are many good ones) probably because the soundboards are few and far between and audience is pretty much the only option.

I'd kill for a soundboard from any of the Pink Floyd tours, for example.

(In Homer Simpson voice) Mmm...1977 Pink Floyd soundboard... :drool: (Although I love them Animals tour audience tapes just to hear the audience's reaction to the show- flying pig, etc :lol: )

They're not using the obvious picture, I see...I guess because it;s already been done. But - Here's Woody, Page & Peter from the show. Listening to the aud recording now, forgot what a nice recording it is. And the gig is pretty rockin' as well!

new_faces_r_zps69b6e227.jpg

Imvho, they would'nt. Pre the download/cdr era CD bootlegs were not that expensive, not much more than a regular retail CDs'

If the market had been satturated with shitloads of titles they would have to put them out at even cheaper prices. The stupid prices that the bootleg labels charge now has only come about because titles are only released in limited numbers. It's the only way the labels can make any money. That's all thanks to the wonderful world wide web enabling us to pick and choose the titles we want for almost next to nothing. From a personal point of view I learned in the early to mid 70s that the majority of bootlegs were not worth buying at any price, and collecting bootlegs soon lost it's magic. Too many live boots have such shit sound quality, sbds are too dry, they are not worth paying for no matter how good the performance is. Once again that's imvho.

Expensive Japanese boots aimed at collectors have been around since the mid 90's, EV's prices are actually a good deal lower than what you'd see from Tarantura and similar labels in that era or the early 00's.

The lower end of the boot market was as you say partly performing a function similar to the net today but was generally much less interested in finding new sources as just rereleasing the same stuff again and again.

Personally I'm finding my tastes move more and more towards audience recordings, I'm still not very tolerant of bad quality ones but I find anything but the best SB's pretty not very listenable with poor mixes and generally dry recordings.

I like how excitement for this one has died down before we've even heard it.

Certainly does seem that way, especially compared with the Double Shot release...methinks I'm not the only one getting bored with EVSD's insistence on releasing these 'reruns' instead of some real goodies. It appears that the only thing really getting worked up about here is having the jam with Ronnie Wood in soundboard quality.

Part of me hopes that one of the minions from EVSD actually reside on this board and are reading some of our bitching (well, okay, mostly mine :lol: ) and take the hint...

so Snowblind dropped in a week after the announcement if I remember... How long was it for Double Shot from the announcement until we got the samples?

just sayin, I'm not the only one who might like an estimate

(ended up deciding to wait to get the next EVSD release of a '77 board, and save money for that)

I suggest you stop reading my posts since you have so much trouble understanding them.

Your immaturity shines. Nutrocker may have patience for you but I don't. You spend more time commenting on other people's statements then you talk about actual Zeppelin. Glad other people here have actual knowledge about the band.

Excuse me? No reason to be rude, my dear man -- I simply don't understand your condescension...and then the reversal of said condescension. I know what "books" and "money orders" and "post offices" are, there's no need to be an ageist.

I like how excitement for this one has died down before we've even heard it.

Like I've said -- we're spoiled. And, frankly, what's there to get all that excited about when probably a handful of people who interact on the forums will buy a copy?

And, frankly, what's there to get all that excited about when probably a handful of people who interact on the forums will buy a copy?

And therein lies the problem...only a handful of people here may buy this thing, whereas if it were something people actually wanted, like Seattle 21/3/75, let's say, there'd be a lot more people actually shelling out the bucks for it. And that's what worries me...it seems like each EVSD release sells less and less than its predecessors because they're not what potential buyers really want...IMO EVSD -if they actually have this huge goddamn secret stash of unreleased soundboards- need to actually give the people what they want, not what EVSD thinks they want. Otherwise, one of these days EVSD is gonna press however many copies of their new release, see maybe a dozen of them sell, and say to themselves, "Fucking hell, why are we even bothering? To hell with it...nobody's interested in these things anymore, we might as well just close up shop." And then there goes our chance of ever getting our hands on the really good stuff. IMO their business sense is completely FUBAR...at this point EVSD seems completely out of touch with their potential market.

September (in plenty of time for the holidays) to make sure we have something to gift/receive from friends, and to give us something HOT (finally) to warm us up this winter!

Honestly, EVSD, we are secretly jamming out to the last Landover gig, but it was NOT by any means one of the (many) best shows from '77.

Archived