New Empress Valley soundboard release - 13 Feb 1975 Nassau NY (w/Ron Wood!)

Triplet Kick

odd how the sound varies on these releases, from ev to wendy, etc etc.

I look for the boots/recordings of this show that have 2 things: 1. Robert Plant has to be HIGH in the "mix" of this rough tape (the semi-sbd). 2. I try to find a release/recording with a real sounding high end. funny recording. def from the board, but it had either been tampered, or it really was a japanese sneaky tape recording.

odd how the sound varies on these releases, from ev to wendy, etc etc.

I look for the boots/recordings of this show that have 2 things: 1. Robert Plant has to be HIGH in the "mix" of this rough tape (the semi-sbd). 2. I try to find a release/recording with a real sounding high end. funny recording. def from the board, but it had either been tampered, or it really was a japanese sneaky tape recording.

What's a semi-soundboard?

Surely they weren't given a first gen (or master). Who knows what gen the tape (or cd? Maybe digital files?) EVSD received was. With each tape generation you lose high end and clarity, and each machine (cassette/reel player whatever) puts it's own sound into the recording too (hiss, misaligned heads, dirty heads -muffled sound, poor azimuth, poor equalization).

I'm sure the tape was tampered with prior to being released. Why would you sell something that's perfect when you can make a poorer copy and still have an "upgrade" for future dealings?

Now that EVSD released this and the 77 Landovers last year ("Double Shit"), anything released here on out would be better or more interesting (versus what has been released so far during the years) based on what I've guessed they have left (yes I'd even welcome 3-10-75 or LA 1975 at this point).

Now that EVSD released this and the 77 Landovers last year ("Double Shit"), anything released here on out would be better or more interesting (versus what has been released so far during the years) based on what I've guessed they have left (yes I'd even welcome 3-10-75 or LA 1975 at this point).

Has a soundboard for 3/12/75 Long Beach been released? If not, I would vote for that over the three shows at the Forum later in the month since we have Millard tapes for those.

Has a soundboard for 3/12/75 Long Beach been released? If not, I would vote for that over the three shows at the Forum later in the month since we have Millard tapes for those.

Not as of yet. I agree with your statement 100%, but I don't think they'd release that until they've unloaded the ones I mentioned.

As far as I'm concerned we never need soundboard recordings for 3/24-27/75, and I'm not certain they have any of them, but based on EVSD's predictable pattern they would release those first just to fuck with me.

Not as of yet. I agree with your statement 100%, but I don't think they'd release that until they've unloaded the ones I mentioned.

As far as I'm concerned we never need soundboard recordings for 3/24-27/75, and I'm not certain they have any of them, but based on EVSD's predictable pattern they would release those first just to fuck with me.

True, one reason I would like a soundboard of the 27th though would be if it didn't have the cuts that the Millard tape does, particularly in Dazed And Confused for curiosity's sake alone-to see just how long it really was!

True, one reason I would like a soundboard of the 27th though would be if it didn't have the cuts that the Millard tape does, particularly in Dazed And Confused for curiosity's sake alone-to see just how long it really was!

There are 2 recordings from that show however, so DAC is complete if you use both.

Regardless, 3/10/75 San Diego has the highest likelihood of being the next 1975 soundboard.

Regardless, 3/10/75 San Diego has the highest likelihood of being the next 1975 soundboard.

How do you figure? Looking at all of the Empress Valley releases, there isn't really a pattern is there?

The best version (and latest) by EVSD, and my favourite overall, is Otoko Doahou 929.

I just downloaded this one (it's the same as the Live in Japan 1971 discs, right?), and I'm finding it hard to choose over the Fatally Wanderer Definitive Version. The first thing that jumped out was the bad edit returning from the cut in Black Dog (the timing is off) and how much they separated the channels overall, with the drums louder in the left ear than Page's guitar is in the right, so the guitar sounds really buried in the mix. Also, there's a kind of hi-fi whine noise during Plant's intro to Dazed and Confused, which I don't hear on the Fatally Wanderer definitive version, and the soloing sections have Page buried. Rock and Roll sounds much much better on Fatally than it does on the Empress Valley title too.

I only did a quick side by side with the Wendy title and I found that I liked it much better than the Empress Valley versions.

Just my opinion, of course.

I just downloaded this one (it's the same as the Live in Japan 1971 discs, right?), and I'm finding it hard to choose over the Fatally Wanderer Definitive Version. The first thing that jumped out was the bad edit returning from the cut in Black Dog (the timing is off) and how much they separated the channels overall, with the drums louder in the left ear than Page's guitar is in the right, so the guitar sounds really buried in the mix. Also, there's a kind of hi-fi whine noise during Plant's intro to Dazed and Confused, which I don't hear on the Fatally Wanderer definitive version, and the soloing sections have Page buried. Rock and Roll sounds much much better on Fatally than it does on the Empress Valley title too.

I only did a quick side by side with the Wendy title and I found that I liked it much better than the Empress Valley versions.

Just my opinion, of course.

It's really hard to say...the EVSD nomenclature confuses me -- as far as I'm aware, the release I mentioned is not the same as Live in Japan 1971. I could be wrong, and haven't listened to many of the alternatives (aside from Eddie Edwards' offering, which I used to prefer). The stereo separation of the "SBD"/multi-track source doesn't seem any worse than the other versions that I have.

can someone please tell Beelzebub that their covers look like ass?

thanks.

Again, considering Beelzebub is like one guy with a CD burner, it wouldn't surprise me if he lashes the covers together using fucking Microsoft Paint and a goddamn cheap Hewlett Packard colour ink jet printer :lol:

Beelzebub = "Garbage In, Garbage Out".

I think I've been lucky enough to never stumble upon a Beelzebub hackjob.

I just saw somebody paying 90 USD for that horrible Beelzebub shitjob... how hard is it to get photosshop and watch a tutorial or two on youtube??? ... my twelve year old nephew can do better than that...

I remember a lot of fuss about Beelzebub on Underground Uprising a few years ago, firstly a lot of reviews started appearing that seemed very shillish then some appeared that obviously went after them, the latter seems to be closer to the truth. Personally I'd never pay much(or indeed anything) for a CD-R release, no garentee that each copy will be the same.

My general impression has always been that the Japanese bootleg "industry" is a bit more trustworthy than what we get in the west, a product I spose of it not skirting illegality as much and the kind of people this generally attracts. Most of the Japanese labels at least seem to make an effort to achieve something, even if its only more interesting packaging where as in the west it seems to be little beyond a cash grab.

I remember a lot of fuss about Beelzebub on Underground Uprising a few years ago, firstly a lot of reviews started appearing that seemed very shillish then some appeared that obviously went after them, the latter seems to be closer to the truth. Personally I'd never pay much(or indeed anything) for a CD-R release, no garentee that each copy will be the same.

You are correct, Beelzebub was quite obviously plying Underground Uprising with free boots in exchange for over the top praise in UU's reviews...and it worked for a while :lol: That is, until the truth came out regarding what Beelzebub was really all about- I believe it was the revelations about how they faked some of their versions of other boots (such as the 26 May '77 Landover soundboard) that did the most damage to what little credibility they had. And, of course, how over the course of the "Freezer's Revenge' brouhaha it actually came out exactly how 'amateur' an operation 'The Beez' was :lol:

My general impression has always been that the Japanese bootleg "industry" is a bit more trustworthy than what we get in the west, a product I spose of it not skirting illegality as much and the kind of people this generally attracts. Most of the Japanese labels at least seem to make an effort to achieve something, even if its only more interesting packaging where as in the west it seems to be little beyond a cash grab.

No question about it, the Japs have always had the edge of North America/Europe when it comes to bootlegging. Not only because they have completely different laws regarding copyright and pirating and whatnot, but also better technology. Shit, Clinton Heylin even said as much in his Bootleg book damn near twenty years ago! :lol:

Note that we've seen pictures of Jimmy Page acquiring bootlegs in Tokyo, and not the Camden market in London...that alone should speak volumes about the difference in quality between Japanese boots and European.

Note that we've seen pictures of Jimmy Page acquiring bootlegs in Tokyo, and not the Camden market in London...that alone should speak volumes about the difference in quality between Japanese boots and European.

And if we were to see him buying boots in London, they'd be Japanese "imports." ;)

I have audience recording, never noticed jam sandwich riff. Bonham has a set of drum rolls before that break, wonder if he was signally the jam riff section, but ron wood kept soloing.

This got me listenin to jam sandwich by page, its interesting how he made it meaner and cooler sounding. It would have been great song on outrider tour. In fact it could have been a cool opening song.

Amazing that he had that riff back in 75, maybe it ll be on new box sets if page, jones, bonham ever recorded it.

I have audience recording, never noticed jam sandwich riff. Bonham has a set of drum rolls before that break, wonder if he was signally the jam riff section, but ron wood kept soloing.

This got me listenin to jam sandwich by page, its interesting how he made it meaner and cooler sounding. It would have been great song on outrider tour. In fact it could have been a cool opening song.

Amazing that he had that riff back in 75, maybe it ll be on new box sets if page, jones, bonham ever recorded it.

I need some pointers on this riff; seen "jam sandwich" before but it's new to me. At what point in the song should I listen for it?

I am listenin to them on phone, page 2 on this thread and youtube. If im hearin it correctly, where comm brkdwn riff stops, funkier zeppelin take on riff. Pages solo soundtrack version might be slowed down. I dont know, maybe its not same riff.

Archived