New Empress Valley soundboard release - 13 Feb 1975 Nassau NY (w/Ron Wood!)

Triplet Kick

I think perhaps we are assuming a little too much about EV's audience. I know for a fact many of the people who buy these releases don't post on this forum. Just because nobody here has any interest - that is not representative of the entire world.

EV does not need this forum - there are plenty of people out there who will buy these things. I know these people.

Pretty much the same people complain each time, leading one to believe the collective voice of discontent is larger than it really is.

EV will be just fine, with or without your money. When they release what you say you want so badly, will you really lay down $275? Somehow I doubt it.

And therein lies the problem...only a handful of people here may buy this thing, whereas if it were something people actually wanted, like Seattle 21/3/75, let's say, there'd be a lot more people actually shelling out the bucks for it.

I completely disagree -- the few hundred copies will sell out, and I believe that the reason behind the "limited" number of issues is two-fold: 1) To make them more "rare"; and 2) Because EVSD knows that only a relatively small number of people will actually spend money on them.

I think perhaps we are assuming a little too much about EV's audience. I know for a fact many of the people who buy these releases don't post on this forum. Just because nobody here has any interest - that is not representative of the entire world.

EV does not need this forum - there are plenty of people out there who will buy these things. I know these people.

Pretty much the same people complain each time, leading one to believe the collective voice of discontent is larger than it really is.

EV will be just fine, with or without your money. When they release what you say you want so badly, will you really lay down $275? Somehow I doubt it.

Hey -- we agree!

Idk about that one. Maybe one of the good NYC '77 gigs or an LA gig, I'd drop that or more and usually don't spend a dime. I'd probably drop other things too if we got 6-21-77 or 6-22-77, esp the latter which seems to be getting noticed more.

i love 1977 Zep

edit: but CAN'T WAIT for this one!

Idk about that one. Maybe one of the good NYC '77 gigs or an LA gig, I'd drop that or more and usually don't spend a dime. I'd probably drop other things too if we got 6-21-77 or 6-22-77, esp the latter which seems to be getting noticed more.

i love 1977 Zep

edit: but CAN'T WAIT for this one!

I wouldn't lay down too much for a 6/21/77 sbd because the Millard tape is so good, but I certainly would for 6/22!

I completely disagree -- the few hundred copies will sell out, and I believe that the reason behind the "limited" number of issues is two-fold: 1) To make them more "rare"; and 2) Because EVSD knows that only a relatively small number of people will actually spend money on them.

Whereas a fairly large number of people would spend money on something like Seattle 21/3/75 or Sue's aforementioned Greensboro '77 soundboard, they'd have to press a second issue to keep up with the demand on those ones...and you know it as well as I do, Melcore.

I remember there was a good deal of excitement for Dragon Snake, especially when it turned out to feature Bonham kicking copious amounts of ass.

Indeed...because, performance and sound quality aside (I reckon it's the best sounding '77 SBD available), what made Dragon Snake so special was the fact that it was an unheard show since 1977.

Hey, who the hell knows...maybe Dragon Snake was EVSD's 'jump the shark' moment :lol: :lol: :lol:

going off topic but, Dragon Snake as the best sounding 77 sbd? really? are my ears failing at 23? I would say 5/25 and 5/30 are best in terms of sound.

edit: it has the most Jimmy in the mix so if bass is added, maybe there is some truth to that?

I remember there was a good deal of excitement for Dragon Snake, especially when it turned out to feature Bonham kicking copious amounts of ass.

And from the sounds of it, railing copious amounts of coke. ;)

going off topic but, Dragon Snake as the best sounding 77 sbd? really? are my ears failing at 23? I would say 5/25 and 5/30 are best in terms of sound.

edit: it has the most Jimmy in the mix so if bass is added, maybe there is some truth to that?

True, my stereo is pretty bassy, that may have something to do with it.

IMO 5/25 and 5/28 both sound pretty flat. 5/26 is too dry. The best versions of 4/27 sound like an official live album...that one, 5/21 and 5/30 are easily the best sounding '77 soundboards.

And from the sounds of it, railing copious amounts of coke. ;)

Indeed :lol: Bonham may have been kicking ass on the night, but he did a fair bit of overplaying as well. The next night in Fort Worth is even worse for overplaying (for example, the way Bonham does too long of a fill at the end of IMTOD throwing Page completely off), but still a great show (better than Houston, IMO)...for all of Bonzo's overplaying on those gigs his drum solos are awesome.

And therein lies the problem...only a handful of people here may buy this thing, whereas if it were something people actually wanted, like Seattle 21/3/75, let's say, there'd be a lot more people actually shelling out the bucks for it. And that's what worries me...it seems like each EVSD release sells less and less than its predecessors because they're not what potential buyers really want...IMO EVSD -if they actually have this huge goddamn secret stash of unreleased soundboards- need to actually give the people what they want, not what EVSD thinks they want. Otherwise, one of these days EVSD is gonna press however many copies of their new release, see maybe a dozen of them sell, and say to themselves, "Fucking hell, why are we even bothering? To hell with it...nobody's interested in these things anymore, we might as well just close up shop." And then there goes our chance of ever getting our hands on the really good stuff. IMO their business sense is completely FUBAR...at this point EVSD seems completely out of touch with their potential market.

Again my feeling is that EV don't actually have this massive stash of SB's. someone else does and is selling them off 1-2 at a time. Either way though I can see some logic to it, 21/3/75 would generate a ton of interest but after that would anyone buy any 75 recordings? however has these SB's is IMHO looking to maximise there own profit or if it is EV perhaps recoop a very large amount that was paid for them.

Again my feeling is that EV don't actually have this massive stash of SB's. someone else does and is selling them off 1-2 at a time. Either way though I can see some logic to it, 21/3/75 would generate a ton of interest but after that would anyone buy any 75 recordings? however has these SB's is IMHO looking to maximise there own profit or if it is EV perhaps recoop a very large amount that was paid for them.

Yer right, it could go either way- either some greedhead is selling the things to EVSD for way too much or EVSD feels under a lotta pressure to recoup their losses on the sale, hence the massively overinflated prices on the releases. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. As for any interest in other '75 SBDs if they do put out Seattle 21/3? I'd think so...especially if they were one of the Chicago shows (especially the second night, 21/1, only fragments of the audience tapes of which seem to circulate), with the rare "Wanton", "Levee" and "How Many More Times". Personally I love that setlist. The January 20th and 22nd are good shows, Plant's voice wasn't shot like it would be later in the month, soundboards of those shows would do well, I'd reckon.

Don't get me wrong, folks- there's always gonna be a market for these soundboards -'reruns' or not- but the special, rare or uncirculated shows are where the big bucks are. After five or six reruns in a row now, maybe the next release will be one of the above.

Whereas a fairly large number of people would spend money on something like Seattle 21/3/75 or Sue's aforementioned Greensboro '77 soundboard, they'd have to press a second issue to keep up with the demand on those ones...and you know it as well as I do, Melcore.

I don't know that at all -- people claiming that they want the show is different from them laying down the money for it.

I don't know that at all -- people claiming that they want the show is different from them laying down the money for it.

You know, Melcore, with all due respect, I am rapidly starting to think that you don't know much of anything that doesn't conform to yer own view of things. It seems like dissenting opinions are not allowed in yer world...and, no, don't even try to argue the point with me- I've read enough of yer posts to know my point is valid; as far as yer concerned, it's yer way or the highway, and you seem to try to force the issue relentlessly until people see things yer way, and only yer way. You come across as very defensive, no offense. Frankly, I'm starting to see why Listen To This and other members of this board get easily frustrated with you...I hate to break it to ya, but yer not the Final Authority on the world of bootlegs or Led Zeppelin in general no matter how much you seem to think you are. Nobody here is...we all have are own specific dogs in this hunt.

I think it's time to pose a question to you, just to see exactly where you stand on the matter: how many of these EVSD bootlegs have you bought, personally? Or are you one of the people who sit there and salivate at the opportunity to download 'em online for free once some other poor schmuck has actually gone out and bought the thing and uploaded it? In the interest of full disclosure, I personally haven't bought any...I may download them, sure, once the initial hoopla has died down, and then I end up listening to the things once before deleting them. Because they're not shows that really interest me, and I'm also not a soundboard snob like some people. I'm not one of these collectors who needs to have every goddamn note Led Zeppelin ever played; life's too fuckin' short, man. But I have bought my share of bootlegs in the past, and even uploaded a few from time to time. Have you? Seriously, Melcore, what exactly have you contributed to this community besides a lot of arguing back and forth...personally I'm getting a little tired of it, and I'm clearly not the only one. You need to open yer mind to other people's points of views, or get used to people calling you out on yer attitude. It's getting tiresome...

Having said all that, though, if the folks at EVSD did put out a show that did interest me, than, yeah, if the price was right I probably would buy it, and you know what? I bet a few other people here would too. I'm pretty sure Sue would purchase the Seattle 21/3/75 soundboard, for example. If EVSD put out one of the Missing Seven '77 shows I would probably be first in the fucking queue to purchase it because I want to hear those particular shows yesterday. But I'm certainly not gonna shell out my hard earned dollars for a recording I don't care about, why should I? Why should anyone?

So I don't see how yer claim that people wanting something and going out and buying it are two different things is wholly accurate...if people want it bad enough, they'll buy it. That's what these bootleg companies are banking on, after all...

You know, Melcore, with all due respect, I am rapidly starting to think that you don't know much of anything that doesn't conform to yer own view of things. It seems like dissenting opinions are not allowed in yer world...and, no, don't even try to argue the point with me- I've read enough of yer posts to know my point is valid; as far as yer concerned, it's yer way or the highway, and you seem to try to force the issue relentlessly until people see things yer way, and only yer way. You come across as very defensive, no offense. Frankly, I'm starting to see why Listen To This and other members of this board get easily frustrated with you...I hate to break it to ya, but yer not the Final Authority on the world of bootlegs or Led Zeppelin in general no matter how much you seem to think you are. Nobody here is...we all have are own specific dogs in this hunt.

I think it's time to pose a question to you, just to see exactly where you stand on the matter: how many of these EVSD bootlegs have you bought, personally? Or are you one of the people who sit there and salivate at the opportunity to download 'em online for free once some other poor schmuck has actually gone out and bought the thing and uploaded it? In the interest of full disclosure, I personally haven't bought any...I may download them, sure, once the initial hoopla has died down, and then I end up listening to the things once before deleting them. Because they're not shows that really interest me, and I'm also not a soundboard snob like some people. I'm not one of these collectors who needs to have every goddamn note Led Zeppelin ever played; life's too fuckin' short, man. But I have bought my share of bootlegs in the past, and even uploaded a few from time to time. Have you? Seriously, Melcore, what exactly have you contributed to this community besides a lot of arguing back and forth...personally I'm getting a little tired of it, and I'm clearly not the only one. You need to open yer mind to other people's points of views, or get used to people calling you out on yer attitude. It's getting tiresome...

Having said all that, though, if the folks at EVSD did put out a show that did interest me, than, yeah, if the price was right I probably would buy it, and you know what? I bet a few other people here would too. I'm pretty sure Sue would purchase the Seattle 21/3/75 soundboard, for example. If EVSD put out one of the Missing Seven '77 shows I would probably be first in the fucking queue to purchase it because I want to hear those particular shows yesterday. But I'm certainly not gonna shell out my hard earned dollars for a recording I don't care about, why should I? Why should anyone?

So I don't see how yer claim that people wanting something and going out and buying it are two different things is wholly accurate...if people want it bad enough, they'll buy it. That's what these bootleg companies are banking on, after all...

...I do seem to inspire rants and ravings, don't I? :P

I've never purchased a "new" bootleg -- I don't have the money for that. (I'll come back to that issue.) Currently, though, my collection sits at...twenty-two releases, all EVSD, ranging from 2001's Intimidator to 2008's V1/2. (I've even shared one.)

I don't really understand the meat of your argument against me...that seems to be the biggest problem here, really, a lack of communication/understanding: How come when I present my scenario (which might be wrong, sure) I'm the asshole who's forcing the issue; when I'm contradicted by you and your sole way, you're right?

I think about the issue mostly from a monetary point-of-view: How many fans out there actually listen to the bootlegs? How many would be willing to pay (sometimes well) over $100 U.S.? The more factors you add to the equation, the smaller the number will become...and just by virtue of how long it takes for the recordings to be "leaked" online, and the relatively few amount of people who claim to buy boots...yeah, I'd say we're a fairly rare breed.

P.S. Presume nothing about me based on some bs I type on a forum.

I lived in Germany for a few years, '91 to '93, when you still find bootlegs in Europe. From that experience, I acquired a few Zeppelin, Floyd, and U2 shows. Even after coming back to the states, I was able to purchase some shows; independent CD shops had them in good numbers.

These days, I would have budgetary concerns about buying (hello, four daughters at home). And, I don't need to buy, from the standpoint of having the "originals" in my library.

Archived