Female Electric Guitarist from Montreal

TashaZoso16

Racist much?

Not racist at all, it is the Le Quebecois who are the racists. My wife and her family were born and bred in Pointe Claire, English but fluent in French. When the Le Quebecois took over and forced everyone to speak French, advertise in French only, and gave the English population serious shit until they hightailed it for Toronto (like my wife), that is what I call racism. Now here we are, 30 years later and a bi-lingual IGA worker is yelled at by her supervisor for daring to speak English in the goddamn break room ON HER TIME!!!

I quote, When she announced she was leaving, the employee, Meaghan Moran, recorded a conversation with her two superiors in which they explained the French-only rule.

“If we permit languages other than French to be spoken, what will happen in the employees’ room?” a woman is heard asking in the recording. “We’ll have a ghetto. We’ll have a small group of Spanish, a small group of English.”

You dare call me racist, the Le Quebecois is and has been openly racist since it's inception. I frequent Montreal to visit my mother in-law (who refuses to leave even though it has come to the point where speaking French is no longer enough, one now must be French-Canadien otherwise they are shunned) often and when we go outside of Pointe Claire the hatred for the English is palatable. Just for shits I would speak English when patronizing establishments and guess what??? I was treated like shit and ignored. Even when I spoke French, which I am passible in but not fluent, it was about 60-40, that is 60% of the time I was treated the same as if I was speaking English.

I think Montreal is one of the prettiest cities in the world, however having state sanctioned racism as a policy will eventually destroy Montreal and the Le Quebecois. Prior to 1979 Toronto was a medium sized city, once Le Quebecois took over, all the English run business left for Toronto, thrusting Toronto into a renaissance and making it the economic powerhouse of Canada. What has Quebec done??? Not much.

Not racist at all, it is the Le Quebecois who are the racists. My wife and her family were born and bred in Pointe Claire, English but fluent in French. When the Le Quebecois took over and forced everyone to speak French, advertise in French only, and gave the English population serious shit until they hightailed it for Toronto (like my wife), that is what I call racism. Now here we are, 30 years later and a bi-lingual IGA worker is yelled at by her supervisor for daring to speak English in the goddamn break room ON HER TIME!!!

I quote, When she announced she was leaving, the employee, Meaghan Moran, recorded a conversation with her two superiors in which they explained the French-only rule.

“If we permit languages other than French to be spoken, what will happen in the employees’ room?” a woman is heard asking in the recording. “We’ll have a ghetto. We’ll have a small group of Spanish, a small group of English.”

You dare call me racist, the Le Quebecois is and has been openly racist since it's inception. I frequent Montreal to visit my mother in-law (who refuses to leave even though it has come to the point where speaking French is no longer enough, one now must be French-Canadien otherwise they are shunned) often and when we go outside of Pointe Claire the hatred for the English is palatable. Just for shits I would speak English when patronizing establishments and guess what??? I was treated like shit and ignored. Even when I spoke French, which I am passible in but not fluent, it was about 60-40, that is 60% of the time I was treated the same as if I was speaking English.

I think Montreal is one of the prettiest cities in the world, however having state sanctioned racism as a policy will eventually destroy Montreal and the Le Quebecois. Prior to 1979 Toronto was a medium sized city, once Le Quebecois took over, all the English run business left for Toronto, thrusting Toronto into a renaissance and making it the economic powerhouse of Canada. What has Quebec done??? Not much.

tumblr_m77kxgUZay1qkkga8o1_500.jpg

Perhaps it's because of the "ordinary" racism Québec has endured for 200+ years from english Canada. You won't see me shed a tear for your "ordeals".

Touché!

A sad fact that is often ignored by the majority of Canadians. That being said...retribution is never the answer, and leads only to further bad blood.

Just as long as you are NOT Le Quebecois I will give you a like, however if you are...forget it!!!

I totally understand. I am not a "Quebecois", I do not support any of it.

I live in the province of Quebec, yes, but sooner or later I will move away from here.

^ I apologize as I did not mean to get political, just that this has affected my family. My mother in-law is a very sweet woman and at 78 years old she feels her city has abandoned her. My sister in-law is scared shitless she will lose her job after 22 years because of this.

Anyway, I wish you nothing but the best and I will have to check you out when I next go to Montreal in about three months. Nothing is more beautiful than Montreal in the fall, especially Mt. Royal Park...breathtaking.

Not sure what the problem is, Montréal is a multicultural, multilingual and multiracial city. The fact that someone lives in Montréal makes this person a Québécois (or Québécoise) because they live within the provinces' boundaries. On the issue of being fluent in French it appears as though many people have quite different definitions of language proficiency. I studied French for over five years and I obtained a DELF as early as 1998 but when I set foot in a French speaking province around 2003 I discovered that I really didn't understand much, so I had to learn the language again, from the very beginning. The fact that people would only communicate with me in French was an intellectual challenge rather than an offense. Those were the rules of the place where I was living at the time, I thought, if I don't like the rules then I should just move someplace else.

Not sure what the problem is, Montréal is a multicultural, multilingual and multiracial city. The fact that someone lives in Montréal makes this person a Québécois (or Québécoise) because they live within the provinces' boundaries. On the issue of being fluent in French it appears as though many people have quite different definitions of language proficiency. I studied French for over five years and I obtained a DELF as early as 1998 but when I set foot in a French speaking province around 2003 I discovered that I really didn't understand much, so I had to learn the language again, from the very beginning. The fact that people would only communicate with me in French was an intellectual challenge rather than an offense. Those were the rules of the place where I was living at the time, I thought, if I don't like the rules then I should just move someplace else.

That would be fine if it were not for the fact the Quebecois changed the rules, prior to their power grab it was truly bi-lingual, now it is French only for all intent and purpose. Further, living within the boundary of Montreal does not make one Quebecois anymore than my living in Arizona makes me a Republican or English only advocate. Finally, did you ever think the reason why you were not "fluent" in French after such intense study was because French-Canadien is a very different language than classical French. Kind of like Central-American Spanish is very different than classical Spanish. This is one of the reasons the French themselves are not too keen on French-Canadiens as they feel their language and culture have been bastardized. Not my opinion on the last part there, simply observation from several native French folk I know.

That would be fine if it were not for the fact the Quebecois changed the rules, prior to their power grab it was truly bi-lingual, now it is French only for all intent and purpose. Further, living within the boundary of Montreal does not make one Quebecois anymore than my living in Arizona makes me a Republican or English only advocate. Finally, did you ever think the reason why you were not "fluent" in French after such intense study was because French-Canadien is a very different language than classical French. Kind of like Central-American Spanish is very different than classical Spanish. This is one of the reasons the French themselves are not too keen on French-Canadiens as they feel their language and culture have been bastardized. Not my opinion on the last part there, simply observation from several native French folk I know.

That's blatantly false.

When the anglos had the upper hand on the province's power levers, it was mostly "speak white" in Montréal and I don't mean french.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived