What band or artist is responsible for influencing the crap hairbands?

Amstel

Who can I blame?

Kiss? Alice Cooper? Roxy Music? The Stooges?

Maybe the New York Dolls or Wings?

I hate all things related to hairbands. Is it even music they created? Hell no! It's crap-o-la.

You can blame the record labels. They were the ones that saw the immense success of a few bands from the Hollywood strip and decided it was time to cash in.

Motley Crue was influenced by (more or less/short list) Kiss, Alice Cooper, the New York Dolls, and even Led Zeppelin. The guitar player (Mick Mars) was influenced by Jeff Beck and the Yardbirds. They were the first "hair band" (some consider Quiet Riot the first, I don't) and started the eventual trend. Now, listen to the album Shout at the Devil and tell me it isn't all out heavy metal. No corporate cash-in shit music there.

Now there are bands worth disliking. Poison? They are corporate cash-in shit music right along with Cinderella and Slaughter, and White Lion. Not that I don't like some of their songs, but they weren't in it for the music.

Wings?

They have that bs poppy feel. That's exactly what those hairbands had.

The makeup and hairspray? That has the New York Dolls, Kiss, Stooges, and Alice Cooper written all over it.

^^^^^ Agreed. Unfortunately the hair metal bands skimmed the surface of Zeppelin's mystique, I.e. big hair, loud music, sex, drugs, groupies, etc..., and made entire careers around those superficial aspects. Of course the hair metal bands could never delve deep into the seemingly endsless talent that Zep had and recreate that. That is why Zep is timeless while the wanna be bands are passé.

I mean...you might as well just blame the Beatles. They were the influence for the bands of the 70s that influenced the bands of the 80s.

But then who do you blame for the Beatles? Shit, might as well just blame Mozart, Bach, and Beethoven. :P

that influenced the bands of the 80s.

But then who do you blame for the Beatles? Shit, might as well just blame Mozart, Bach, and Beethoven.

They had nothing to do with Led Zeppelin! Watch the interview from 70. Plantt and Page make it a point to say they respect the Beatles, but they aren't influenced like you all believe.

I don't see why Wings is in this. Paul McCartney has nothing to do with those hair bands. Although I do like Motley Crue.

Speaking of Led Zeppelin and the Beatles, didn't they play a fragment of I Saw Her Standing there in Japan 1971? I wouldn't say that Zep are influenced by them but I'm pretty sure they enjoyed their music.

I don't see why Wings is in this. Paul McCartney has nothing to do with those hair bands. Although I do like Motley Crue.

Speaking of Led Zeppelin and the Beatles, didn't they play a fragment of I Saw Her Standing there in Japan 1971? I wouldn't say that Zep are influenced by them but I'm pretty sure they enjoyed their music.

Paul McCartney in Wings had a mullett

Paul McCartney in Wings had a mullett

As usual, Wes makes an excellent observation. McCartney's mullet (and his wife's fem-mullet) are responsible for the decline in western civilisation - including hairbands.

Archived