What band or artist is responsible for influencing the crap hairbands?

Amstel

Why the hate for Hair bands?
It's part of the evolution.

And to translate the topic as listed, hard to say who influenced the CRAP hair bands.

But I understand you actually mean Hair bands in general.

And as Walter pointed out, our beloved Zeppelin had as much or even more influence as any band.

Do you hate The Scorpions?

Guns 'N Roses?

As mentioned before, Motley Crue was legitimate metal.

If anything, the ultimate culprits are the labels themselves, who see something take hold, and immediately flood and saturate with any band they could throw together, dress in leather, put on women's makeup and tease their hair.

Or, if it's the early 90s, you dress them in torn jeans and plaid shirts.

Or if it's the late 90s/early 00s, have them wear dreads, black lipstick, and a gazillion piercings.

Sure, the 80s eventually gave us Pretty Boy Floyd and other abominations, but that doesn't mean Krokus and a lot of other bands weren't rocking hard and producing great headbanging material.

Again, it's tough for me to understand dismissing an entire genre.

I agree with you. There is good and bad in almost every genre of music (I do struggle with finding redeeming songs in bubble gum pop and nu metal, however). I'll admit: I like some "hair band" music. It's not serious, thought provoking stuff, but its meant to be fun.

Why the hate for Hair bands?

It's part of the evolution.

And to translate the topic as listed, hard to say who influenced the CRAP hair bands.

But I understand you actually mean Hair bands in general.

And as Walter pointed out, our beloved Zeppelin had as much or even more influence as any band.

Do you hate The Scorpions?

Guns 'N Roses?

As mentioned before, Motley Crue was legitimate metal.

If anything, the ultimate culprits are the labels themselves, who see something take hold, and immediately flood and saturate with any band they could throw together, dress in leather, put on women's makeup and tease their hair.

Or, if it's the early 90s, you dress them in torn jeans and plaid shirts.

Or if it's the late 90s/early 00s, have them wear dreads, black lipstick, and a gazillion piercings.

Sure, the 80s eventually gave us Pretty Boy Floyd and other abominations, but that doesn't mean Krokus and a lot of other bands weren't rocking hard and producing great headbanging material.

Again, it's tough for me to understand dismissing an entire genre.

This is not an insult towards them either, but I would argue that the record labels looked at what Def Leppard accomplished in North America, Japan, and Europe and decided that was the cookie cutter model they would re-create over and over again from 1983 to 1993.

Def Leppard had the harmonies of the Beach Boys, with the unique and tasteful killer guitar work of Steve Clark which was influenced 100% by Jimmy Page, that allowed for good song writing abilities in the band to shine, and the attitude of the singer, who wanted to be number 1. The bright colours and visuals – combine that with the thin good looks of the band in general and record labels saw lots of dollar signs. Anyone who gives On Through the Night, High n Dry, Pyromania, Slang, Sparkle Lounge an honest listen will hear that Leppard were a level above those shit hair bands that all got signed to record deals and heavy promotion after the success of Pyromania. Even Hysteria had some unique sounding stuff.

But the record labels were to blame and Def Leppard in some odd kind of way for being the first international success of that genre if you will. The same thing happened with punk, rap, country, early 60’s London, grunge, and yes 70’s rock.

But to be even more specific, I would blame the click track - that drum beat really ruined stuff for me and record labels ran with the click track, and ran with producers who hated drummers and loved click tracks!

Archived