Rap Thread

So.. I know this might not be the best place to start a "Rap Thread", but, oh well.

Lately I've been trying to get into rap, but I haven't been having much success.. But here are a few of the songs I have found that I like, for one reason or another:

Thin Line - Macklemore

Thought Process - Goodie Mob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLk7TymqAcs

F**kin' Problems -A$AP Rocky

Solo Dolo - Kid Cudi

Post your favorite rap tunes or artists.. Let's see if we can't get some good quality artists.

I will give the first reply to this topic. I cannot stand rap music that has been made since the early 1990's to the present day. Since then, rap songs all sound the same to me and it seems to take no real talent to make a rap song. All they need is a drum machine and a computer and anyone can make a rap song. With that being said, I do like and respect the group N.W.A.

"Straight Outta Compton" was released in 1988/89 and had the "Balls" to be real and original. I do believe that they actually used real instruments to make their songs/music. I have to respect that.

The first three songs off this Cd are the Best 3 raps songs of all-time (obviously My opinion).

I will give the first reply to this topic. I cannot stand rap music that has been made since the early 1990's to the present day. Since then, rap songs all sound the same to me and it seems to take no real talent to make a rap song. All they need is a drum machine and a computer and anyone can make a rap song. With that being said, I do like and respect the group N.W.A.

"Straight Outta Compton" was released in 1988/89 and had the "Balls" to be real and original. I do believe that they actually used real instruments to make their songs/music. I have to respect that.

The first three songs off this Cd are the Best 3 raps songs of all-time (obviously My opinion).

Agreed. I do believe Dr. Dre's bassist is named Mike Elizondo. I dont know for sure if was working with him as far back as the NWA days, but the idea of real instruments was very much a part of what they did.

Back in highschool in 1986 I could not stand rap, but then around 1990 ish the Beastie Boys became very tripy and I couldnt get enough of what they were doing :

This is when it struck me that rap, and mixing was a true art form. When I heard what the did with Hendrix's feed back I was BLOWN AWAY :

I Love " Pass the Mic" thier style of rap , pertaining to the lyric , was in a leauge of their own :

I don't listen to rap all to often, but I do a little bit. I prefer early 90's rap like Dr. Dre, Snoop, or Tupac.

One of my favorites...

As far as new rap artists go, Kendrick Lamar is one that I've heard on the radio and actually bought both of his albums.

Since Straight Outta Compton has already been listed, here are my additions.

Doggystyle - Some of the best catch-a-buzz music ever.

3170622344.jpg

Strictly_4_My_NIGGAZ.jpg

More NWA / Dr. Dre stuff.

tumblr_lw2kneBW661qlulvfo1_500.jpg

ice-cube-amerikkkas-most-wanted.jpg

tumblr_m7n45tyBSG1qlebd0o1_500.jpg

Edited by TypeO

Newer stuff that sounds great with a buzz (my main criterion for a lot of music, it would seem, LOL).

The T-Pain Bang Bang Pow Pow is a cool song, but including Lil Wayne was a huge mistake.
Probably some of the weakest lyrics ever from an idiot known for weak lyrics.

DISCLAIMER: I don't necessarily hold the opinion that these are all great artists, but that I happen to like these particular songs.

http://youtu.be/Kw6RR3IRjQs

Newer stuff that sounds great with a buzz (my main criterion for a lot of music, it would seem, LOL).

I agree my man, some music just seems built to be listened to while drunk or high.. Of course, I can't really list any rap artists that I think are like this (except, of course the ones I listen to) because most of that time I hear the buzz-music while at a party.

In addition to NWA, Ice Cube and Eazy-E, I'd add the Geto Boys' "Grip It! On That Other Level." They took all of the complaints about rap (violence, misogyny, cursing, etc.), and turned it up to 11. I'm convinced this was a parody, and that these guys would be hilarious to hang out with. Yet, the album is fun to listen to. Otherwise, I'd recommend Too Short's "Life Is...Too Short."

IMO, rap maybe a legitimate art form but it is not music. Having said that, one very early rap song made an impression on me when I was still in grade school. It was The Revolution Will Not Be Televised by Gil Scott Heron. It showed that rap can be a powerful medium for social messages.

Edited by Disco Duck

IMO, rap maybe a legitimate art form but it is not music. Having said that, one very early rap song made an impression on me when I was still in grade school. It was The Revolution Will Not Be Televised by Gil Scott Heron. It showed that rap can be a powerful medium for social messages.

Hmm if you don't think rap is "music", I'd really suggest listening to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West in it's entirety. It's an amazing piece of genius music.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

I went to a rap show last week. Legends Wu-Tang Clan and Nas co-headlined at the Hollywood Bowl with Busta Rhymes in support. In a surprise, MethodMan and Redman joined the festivities along with appearances by Mary J. Blige, LL Cool J, and Jadakiss.