the Star Wars thread...

kingzoso

I do plan on seeing it. However, I thought the series was complete with the six films. When is this one supposed to take place? The review I read indicated that it is a sequel not a prequel...so the Empire was never defeated?? I guess that would definitely make it a movie for our time, when we never seem to "win" any type of war; we have instead "wars on terrorism" that go on and on and on and on.

Two guys and a woman don't make a feminist movie; so, no progress there.

Star Wars is a complete fantasy about an alternate galaxy and what was groundbreaking about it, other than the technology, was that it showed aliens who looked like completely different species but had the same level of intelligence as humans as well as culture and societies. When I saw this in 1977 it seemed very progressive because it was obviously a metaphor for a culturally diverse Earth.

It's not rocket science...it follows "Return of the Jedi" in Star Wars chronology.

Was that supposed to be an insult? Why would I assume what film it follows? It could just as easily be a prequel.

Apparently I ruffled your feathers at some point in the past 3 years and you have been carrying a grudge ever since. That is just sad.

Was that supposed to be an insult? Why would I assume what film it follows? It could just as easily be a prequel.

Apparently I ruffled your feathers at some point in the past 3 years and you have been carrying a grudge ever since. That is just sad.

Nah, I don't think it was meant to be an insult..............I know you both now for a long time, and I know you both aren't the ones to be that way as to hurt anyone...........By now almost every media already posted when the events in the film are gonna take place, and even some major plot spoilers (which I'm glad for nobody did post here).

Edited by reswati

^^^Thanks, res, for getting it.

:blink: :huh: :wtf:

Insult? Grudge? I don't even know you...why would I be carrying a grudge? I merely was answering a question in a joking fashion. 

I don't keep a scorecard on the people I interact with here, so I have no recollection of our dialogue and its duration. But I assure you, whatever animosity you perceive is entirely in your mind. 

So the Empire was never defeated?? I guess that would definitely make it a movie for our time, when we never seem to "win" any type of war; we have instead "wars on terrorism" that go on and on and on and on.

Two guys and a woman don't make a feminist movie; so, no progress there.

Star Wars is a complete fantasy about an alternate galaxy and what was groundbreaking about it, other than the technology, was that it showed aliens who looked like completely different species but had the same level of intelligence as humans as well as culture and societies. When I saw this in 1977 it seemed very progressive because it was obviously a metaphor for a culturally diverse Earth.

YOU would fail to realize the whole Star Wars franchise is an odyssey into good vs. evil. As far as I know, that battle continues.

YOU would insist on a Thelma & Louise Star Wars film. Why can't you accept people for who they are, regardless of zip code, race or gender?

YOU would insist that the original Star Wars was a metaphor for a culturally diverse Earth. Good grief!

Edited by SteveAJones

What a movie!!!  I will admit that I am overly biased because I have been a Star Wars fan since 1977 when at the age of 6, my parents and I saw it in a movie theater in Houston, Texas. 

I really do not know what to say without giving anything away except that it really is a great new Star Wars epic.  I know a lot of the movie was done with Industrial Light and Magic (ILM) technology but it really did seem "real".  Especially with the Tie Fighter and X Wing battle scenes.

Oh and by the way, did you know that...

and I bet you would have not expected this to happen...

One last note:  this new "chick", Rey, is absolutely amazing and also very cute without make-up (because there is no make-up in a galaxy far, far away, is there)?

Edited by kingzoso

The Force Awakens offered up more questions than answers!?

As for Disney PC regarding the two male and female leads. Once colour and gender are mentioned in the same sentence it implies racist / sexist connotations regardless of whether it was a lame troll's joke or not. It's a reality, there are millions of "mixed" relationships in our world or any alternative universe and so be it. More power to them.

Loved it.

I am taking my 15 year old son tomorrow.  We are going to the 3D extreme screen ..... will I be able to handle it? ??

I don't know how big a fan of the Star Wars saga you are, but I am confident that a woman of your stature and knowledge of many other things will be able to "handle" it.  A lot happens in this movie, so you will have to digest and process a lot during the little over 2 hours that happens in this new Star Wars Epic

I look forward to reading what you post about it, either + or -. 

I don't know how big a fan of the Star Wars saga you are, but I am confident that a woman of your stature and knowledge of many other things will be able to "handle" it.  A lot happens in this movie, so you will have to digest and process a lot during the little over 2 hours that happens in this new Star Wars Epic

I look forward to reading what you post about it, either + or -. 

I loved IV,  V and VI.... I, II and III  I had list interest by then. But I am keen for this new one.What I meant by "handle" it was the 3D effects, noise and extra big screen.... 3D sometimes gets too much for me. I took the glasses off during Avatar....

Just coming out of the 1:00am screening I attended in Hollywood. No 3D for me...I prefer to see it the way I saw it in 1977.

Immensely better than any of the prequels. I rate it a 7.5 out of 10. There was a small section I missed because I dozed off briefly. Won't say anymore for now so as not to give away any spoilers. Except to say Rey is badass.

Costume displays in the Lobby.

20151218_002745.thumb.jpg.cf7414682dbe3320151218_003041.thumb.jpg.f3808d0b7ba508

All Star Wars all the time.

20151218_005456.thumb.jpg.9f878442635cde

Maybe this needs, has, its own thread?

Which song or musical piece from Led Zeppelin would you use as the soundtrack to some of the high action and tavern sequences?

Sequence from film series I II III IV V VI VII. Are there any songs at all?

When Han Solo shot the alien in the bar in A New Hope. What would the band be playing?

For me, WTLB.,

Not to be a kill joy, but am I the only one who remembers the last three Star Wars films flat out SUCKED?

Now in true Disney PC fashion, this new one stars a chick and a black guy.

Sorry, I'm just not feeling it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFgX9v5yErU

I haven't seen it yet, 10 hours and counting...lol....but, the biggest difference between this and episodes 1,2,&3 is JJ Abrams. From what I'm hearing, its pretty awesome.

I can say this much without giving away spoilers...the casting for this Star Wars film is sooooo much better than the prequels. Not just having the old gang of Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Chewbacca, etc. back....but all the new faces, Oscar Isaac, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridney, John Boyega, Max von Sydow, Domhnall Gleeson, are a vast improvement over the annoying plastic kiddy characters in the prequels...Hayden Pattycake, Natalie Porcelain, that horrible blonde tyke from the first prequel, Jar Jar Binks. Even good actors like Samuel L. Jackson, Ewan McGregor, and Liam Neeson were ill-used in those prequels...a waste of talent. And Adam Driver as Kylo Ren is a far superior villain than Darth Maul.

Something else about Kylo Ren struck me...he looks a little like Forum member Big Klu!