the Star Wars thread...

kingzoso

I was very excited to see it and managed to avoid all the spoilers until I finally saw it.  Overall I did enjoy it. It was very exciting; I loved the continuity from the original and also thought it was very cool that Daniel Craig and Gwendoline Christie were in it (and were so excited to be in it!).  I also was glad to see that women had much stronger roles this time.  I also really appreciated the special effects from the first movie and how they have largely stood the test of time.  I totally agree that BB8 stole the show! 

I agree with others upthread though that it was lacking in character development and was predictable. I felt like we were supposed to care about the new characters without knowing anything about them yet (including their names).  With the original, I was totally lost in the story; with this one I was very aware that I was watching a movie; if that makes sense.  I felt a lack of backstory and depth; and some flash over substance.  But still, it was Star Wars, and I did enjoy it!

My son totally disagrees with my assessment, btw.  

I read about Lucas's criticism of the movie. What did he expect to happen after he sold the story's rights to DISNEY? A radical, innovative departure? Still, I think it was a bridge from the old series to the ones coming up. We'll all have to wait and judge it on its entirety. Disney also bought the rights to the Indiana Jones story, and they're making a fifth one, with both Spielberg and Ford reportedly on board. Fingers crossed they do it justice. I love that series (except for the second movie...).

JJ is not exactly know for his amazing character development. JJ make things blow up, JJ make movie move fast, JJ see no reason to have original story when old story perfectly fine.

Anyway, for those who liked it, good news, they will be making sequels & prequels for the next 200+ years. Bad news, they will be making sequels & prequels for the next 200+ years.

Just came back from it...........

what can I say without spoiling anything?

Well.......the chemistry between the new actors is excellent, and the new evil dude is indeed a tortured soul (with some issues), also his weird lightsword actually made sense.

John Boyega mastered the drama and also the humor very well, brilliant young actor and an excellent choice as a main character.

Daisy Ridley certainly knew to portray a female with gusto, not very much unlike Carrie Fisher in the original series.

The character played by Andy Serkis is one thing you must have seen, hehe.

Domnhall Gleeson more or less put down believable a space version of Goebbels...gosh that guy has creepy eyes.

The first time you see the Falcon was to me a real WOW!!!! moment....love that ugly thing!

Oh yeah, the performance of Mark Hamill was truly beyond amazing (Somehow reminded me of Jimmy Page).

BB8 rules (and rolls).

And SAJ should join the First Order (and quit whining about movies he hasn't even seen yet).

Am a moderate Star Wars fan (not a total fanatic, but I do like the movies) and saw The force awakens during my Christmas holiday. 

Loved the movie, it was good to see the old gang (Princess Leia, Han Solo, Chubacca, Luke) as well as getting to know the new characters. The overall experience was fantatstic, the only thing that could hae been a bit better was the sory line as it is a lot like the story line form Episode IV, A new hope.......  

LOL! Yes, the scene with Mark Hamil also reminded me of Jimmy in his fantasy scene in The song remains the same, as the hermit.

Maaike 

JJ make movie move fast, 

If anything, that was our biggest issue with The Force Awakens- it was so fast paced and action packed that it was kinda hard to get a handle on what the hell was going on at times. Very jumpy editing didn't seem to help matters much, either.

This is a short but interesting video clip.  It's not the Giants Causeway in Ireland but an island off the coast of Ireland.  I think that some people have commented about the ending scene location of the Force Awakens having something of a Led Zeppelin or a Houses of the Holy vibe.  This is probably why:

I just saw The Force Awakens for the second time, this time in 3D.  I really liked the 3D effects. 

I don't know if anyone noticed but in the cantina that is run by Maz Kanata, when the camera is going through the room showing all the different people and aliens, there is about a 2-3 second shot of an alien band playing and the guitar player is playing his guitar with a violin bow. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's pretty nice that the people that posted respect each other enough as to not mention spoilers.

About time someone did. I saw this over the weekend and that was.. that scene... Man!

They shouldn't have done that to an original trilogy character. It seemed misplaced in the whole thing. I lost interest after I saw that scene.

SPOILER ALERT!

How could they? ...Why?! They made C-3PO's left arm red!! There. I said it. Dammit! Red is the color of aggression/passion. It's a Sith color!

Why didn't they just make his arm purple?!

Other than that who's Rey's parents? The midichlorians?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought Star Wars: The Force Awakens on Blu-ray yesterday for only $19.99 at Wal-Mart.  I watched it when I got home which makes it now 4 times that I have seen it.  3 times in the theaters and now once at home.  The Blu-ray edition comes with a separate disc with all the "bonus" features.  I have not seen any of this disc yet.  Being a big Star Wars fan, I am sure that I will like seeing all the extras that are on the disc. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Goddamn Star Wars made me late for work today. Had to go thru five different metal detector stations. You'd think they were guarding nuclear secrets. George Lucas is one kingdom the Russians can't hack.

At least the hoopla will be over tonight. Hollywood traffic has been a mess all week as they shut down multiple blocks last weekend to build the red carpet entrance and set up an actual X-Wing fighter at Hollywood & Vine. Usually film premieres are held at the Grauman's Chinese or El Capitan or the Cinerama Dome, but this Star Wars Rogue is being held at the Pantages Theatre...the first film premiere there in 15 years.

20161210_100518.jpg

20161209_164244.jpg

20161209_164001.jpg

20161209_163916.jpg

20161208_101117.jpg

20161208_101322.jpg

20161208_101031.jpg

Edited by Strider