the Star Wars thread...

kingzoso

I know that we are immortal enemies (just kidding) but that final scene really made me think of the Giants Causeway that was immortalized in the Houses of the Holy album cover.  Aubrey and Storm. 

Yes and it could very well be but, it was similar to the location(s) used in the WTLB sequence on the No Quarter Unledded DVD.

Edited by Reggie29
Immortal, eh? I could live with that!? Enemies, never.

We're discussing a film here, not your white power troll posts (I can imagine your dismay for the "Race Wars" thread getting shut down, but this is the wrong thread to revive it).

Sod off, you pathetic creature.

No, I won't. We are discussing a film, and that character in particular. So I want to know, what is his background?  

Yes and it could very well be but, it was similar to the location(s) used in the WTLB sequence on the No Quarter Unledded DVD.

That would be Corris Slate Quarry in Wales. I've been there and have a box of slate I brought back from that site. Haven't seen this film so I don't know if it's an actual location, a mock up or computer generated. 

The first 2 thirds of the film were awesome... During the last third of the film, I was in the lounge with my 6 year old, it had just gotten too loud for her.

I'm going again this morning. I haven't read any posts here in the last few days as to not spoil anything..so I'm not sure what the consensus on likeing the movie or not. I'll just say this:

The 3d effects are spectacular, and this is a fun movie in its own right. It really holds its own , I never got the sense that the shadow of the Star Wars franchise loom over it, no sense of trying to live up to the original 3.

OMG!!!! I absolutely loved it! 

My son says it's his favourite film ever.

Loved the characters,  loved the story, loved the music, loved the acting.... but I mostly loved the sets. The real ones and the CGI ones. Everything was so realistic.  

We saw it in 3D extreme screen. ... so bloody amazing! 

I haven't bothered Googling yet... do we know where the last scene was shot? Maybe Ireland? 

I want to see it again!!!!

The location: Skellig Michael, County Kerry, Ireland

Is that Brianne of Targ (GOT) on the far left (blond woman)? If so she is pretty hot outside of her armor.

Yes that is Brienne of Tarth from GOT.  In the GOT books she is described as fairly unattractive and given the name of "Brienne the Beauty" as a way of mocking her looks.  I agree that she is a very attractive woman. 

Yes that is Brienne of Tarth from GOT.  In the GOT books she is described as fairly unattractive and given the name of "Brienne the Beauty" as a way of mocking her looks.  I agree that she is a very attractive woman. 

Thanks King, she seems like a lot of fun as well. I love it when a woman can just let it ride, have fun and not give a shit.

Star Wars with the family tonight.  They had already seen it on Thursday but couldn't wait to see it again!  No spoilers here, but to say that I loved the humor, the old and new characters, and the ties back to the original Star Wars.  I'm already developing my theories!  So fun to have multiple generations grow up with Star Wars! 

Star Wars with the family tonight.  They had already seen it on Thursday but couldn't wait to see it again!  No spoilers here, but to say that I loved the humor, the old and new characters, and the ties back to the original Star Wars.  I'm already developing my theories!  So fun to have multiple generations grow up with Star Wars! 

Give it a few more days when we'll all reveal our theories.

My daughters (22 & 21) watched the original trilogy to "get some back story" before they saw the new film. My eldest has watched it 3 times since it opened. 3D twice (a 3.30am session and once with me) and youngest once before then last night at the drive-in with her sister and boyfriends.

Star Wars is truly cross-generational.

sigh I wanted to enjoy this movie, and was especially keen on seeing the old characters interacting with each other and with new ones, but missed parts of several scenes because the guy to my left was explaining the movie throughout its duration to his son who was clearly far too young to follow the plot. It's not the boy's fault; kids are curious and ask questions. But why bring someone that young?! Parents will argue about sitter difficulties or that the kids wanted to see it, but then again these people shouldn't have acted like they were in their living room or at some mall food court FFS! The man's idiot wife even had three phone conversations during the movie. THREE! Everyone else including the teens on the other side of me were so into the film and other people could be heard just whispering about cool parts. Some even checked their phones quickly and discretely and all of that's fine, but there was just this huge lack of awareness or care about group environments from these particular people. There's a way of communicating that doesn't disturb others continuously. If you can't manage that, stay home. 

I think I liked the movie but couldn't stay emotionally connected to it because of the constant interruptions. Very frustrating. LOVED the scenery at the end as was mentioned, as well as the scenes filmed in the exquisite enchanting mystical realm that is Puzzlewood.

End of Grinchy rant.

Edited by Patrycja

sigh I wanted to enjoy this movie, and was especially keen on seeing the old characters interacting with each other and with new ones, but missed parts of several scenes because the guy to my left was explaining the movie throughout its duration to his son who was clearly far too young to follow the plot. It's not the boy's fault; kids are curious and ask questions. But why bring someone that young?! Parents will argue about sitter difficulties or that the kids wanted to see it, but then again these people shouldn't have acted like they were in their living room or at some mall food court FFS! The man's idiot wife even had three phone conversations during the movie. THREE! Everyone else including the teens on the other side of me were so into the film and other people could be heard just whispering about cool parts. Some even checked their phones quickly and discretely and all of that's fine, but there was just this huge lack of awareness or care about group environments from these particular people. There's a way of communicating that doesn't disturb others continuously. If you can't manage that, stay home. 

I think I liked the movie but couldn't stay emotionally connected to it because of the constant interruptions. Very frustrating. LOVED the scenery at the end as was mentioned, as well as the scenes filmed in the exquisite enchanting mystical realm that is Puzzlewood.

End of Grinchy rant.

I can understand your frustration and even agree with it.  Luckily when I saw Star Wars last Thursday night there was none of this happening anywhere near where I was sitting.  This was in a very "posh" theater in Addison, Texas (Dallas) where there was food and drink service at the press of a button and the seats were stacked and even reclined with the press of another button. 

I will say this:  when the very first Star Wars logo came on the screen (right before the usual scroll) everyone in the theater started clapping, me included.  This was an event that millions of people have been waiting for, for years.  I will even liken this to going to see Led Zeppelin although Led Zeppelin toured in 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1979 (Copenhagen and Knebworth) and 1980 (Over Europe).  Just the fact that a fan of Led Zeppelin had to wait a year or two I think is the equivalent of waiting 15 or so years for the newest Star Wars movie.  (Some of you may or may not agree with this statement). 

Edited by kingzoso

End of Grinchy rant.

That's a shame your experience was ruined, Patrycja. Fortunately, the theatres I attend in L.A. have a very strict cellphone policy...and they enforce it.

So who here has seen it more than once already?

It is no secret that I love Pre-Raphaelite art, so imagine my surprise and delight upon discovering that there is a connection between Pre-Raphaelite art and Princess Leia of Star Wars (in terms of her double bun hairstyle and white gown). 

Oh and I apologize in advance, to those who believe that I deviated from the topic :peace: 

Pre-Raphaelite Princess of Star Wars

leia-profile2

When Time magazine asked George Lucas about the unusual hairstyle he created for Star Wars character Princess Leia, he answered:

In the 1977 film, I was working very hard to create something different that wasn’t fashion, so I went with a kind of Southwestern Pancho Villa woman revolutionary look, which is what that is. The buns are basically from turn-of-the-century Mexico. Then it took such hits and became such a thing. 

Kitbashed.com looks at the possible inspirations of Leia’s iconic buns in this post:The Curious Case of Leia’s Rolls.  Unable to find similar buns among photos of Mexican revolutionaries, Kitbashed author Michael Heilemann did find a 1906 photograph called ‘A Hopiland Beauty’ that bears more resemblance to Padme Amidala in Episode II.  It seems that the roots of Leia’s buns lie not from a single source, but an amalgam of several influences –Batgirl wears the double buns as Dr. Barbara Gordon, as does Queen Fria from  the Flash Gordon comics.

The twin-side-buns hairstyle exists in Pre-Raphaelite inspired art.  In John William Waterhouse’s The Crystal Ball, the hairstyle is seen in profile.  We cannot see the other side but the part down the middle of her head is visible, indicating a similar bun on the other side.

Princess Leia's iconic double bun hairstyle can be seen in 'The Crystal Ball' (John William Waterhouse, 1902)

Princess Leia’s iconic double bun hairstyle can be seen in ‘The Crystal Ball’ (John William Waterhouse, 1902)

Titania by Henry Meynell Rheam also seems to have the same hairstyle:

titania-henry-meynell-rheam

And in Violets, also by Henry Meynell Rheam

Rheam,_Henry_Meynell_-_Violets_-_1904

Princess Leia is a woman in white, a perfect contrast for the evil Darth Vadar, who is clad head to toe in black.  Although Star Wars is set ‘a long time ago in a galaxy far away‘, I can see a medieval influence in Leia’s gowns, an influence reminiscent of Pre-Raphaelite works.

princess-leia21

'Ecce Ancilla Domini', Dante Gabriel Rossetti

‘Ecce Ancilla Domini’, Dante Gabriel Rossetti

Leia-princess-leia-organa-solo-skywalker-33601209-411-615

John_William_Waterhouse_The_Lady_of_Shalott

‘The Lady of Shalott’, John William Waterhouse

princessleiaceremonial2

accolade-edmund-blair-leighton

‘The Accolade’, Edmund Blair Leighton

Source : http://preraphaelitesisterhood.com/pre-raphaelite-princess-of-star-wars/

Give it a few more days when we'll all reveal our theories.

My daughters (22 & 21) watched the original trilogy to "get some back story" before they saw the new film. My eldest has watched it 3 times since it opened. 3D twice (a 3.30am session and once with me) and youngest once before then last night at the drive-in with her sister and boyfriends.

Star Wars is truly cross-generational.

My kids have a similar story, Reggie.  They watched the previous movies ahead of seeing The Force Awakens (I think just to get in the mood and to help with the anxiety of the wait!), and they are planning to watch TFA a third time with friends this week.  I shouldn't be surprised as they grew up on Star Wars, dressing in character for many Halloweens, building every Star Wars Lego known to man, and watching the movies over and over.  One son is already lamenting the two year wait for the next release.  We assured him that by the time he tires of watching TFA, they will start promoting the next release and before ya know it...

Saw it in 3-D IMAX yesterday morning.  Large reclining seats and the theatre was only about half-full.  There was a guy hacking, snorting and coughing just down the aisle from us - very annoying!  No phone issues though, sorry to hear you had those issues P.  

As for the movie, I thought it was awesome!  Enjoyed every moment, never left my seat.  Loved how they tied in the story with earlier, thought the casting was close to perfect.  Harrison Ford stole the movie, IMO.  He was absolutely spot on appearing as Han Solo again.  Much better than when he was Indiana Jones for the last movie of that series.  The cinematography was incredible.  I hope JJ stays on for the next one!  I would go see it again in a heartbeat. ????

Edited by Walter

Probably already been mentioned, but did that final scene with Luke remind anyone of TSRTS?

Saw this last night in 3D on IMAX, was just awesome. I could feel myself welling up at points. Amazing what movies can do to our emotions.