the Star Wars thread...

kingzoso

Me and the Mrs are going watching the new one on Friday. I have bought yet another new Star Wars t-shirt from the supermarket. I was obviously going to be tempted, There was 5 different ones. Sweatshirts and jogpants. Cannot wait to see it. Like my favourite band, I have been a fan from boy to man.

I have always believed there is a time and place for everything, however, some people are just a bit thick. One of my colleagues is a very talented and kind woman who for some reason married this clown that looks (and acts) like Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer. Whenever there is an industry function she always drags this idiot with her and everyone just shakes their heads in confusion. We have all tried engaging him in conversation but after a brief exchange with the guy (who never looks at anyone, always looks down), he pulls out his iPhone and starts surfing the web and refuses to respond. One of his other idiosyncratic traits is he wears a Star Wars sweater, shirt, jacket at these typically formal events. Everyone dressed in suits and dresses and he shows up in shitty jeans and a raggedy ass Star Wars sweater, mumbling to himself in the corner. So, last night we had another function the wife & I had to attend and the guy shows up in, yep, Star Wars gear and they sit at our table. I decide to roll with it for once and engage him on the subject I know is near and dear to his heart...Star Wars. Wow, big, huge mistake. At first all was good as he lit up like a Christmas tree when I asked him about Rogue One, however once his motor was running there was no shutting this cowboy down. Three god damned hours of non-stop Star Wars fan theories and an endless diatribe regarding all the books, how George Lucas is the greatest genius of all time, and how David Prowse is an ungrateful prick. Then, I made the ultimate mistake by stating Lucas sold out to marketing interests in favor of plot with ROTJ and those fucking Ewoks. No shit I thought this guy was going to kill me right there. His whole demeanor changed and I could see in his eyes he was debating whether to jam a fork in my eye or just walk away from such blasphemy. Thank god he chose the latter otherwise you would all be seeing my dead ass on the news about some Christmas party going awry and a man being stabbed to death with a fork by a man claiming to be Luke Skywalker's brother.

Sometimes it's best to not feed the bear, just smile and walk on by.

34 minutes ago, IpMan said:

I have always believed there is a time and place for everything, however, some people are just a bit thick. One of my colleagues is a very talented and kind woman who for some reason married this clown that looks (and acts) like Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer. Whenever there is an industry function she always drags this idiot with her and everyone just shakes their heads in confusion. We have all tried engaging him in conversation but after a brief exchange with the guy (who never looks at anyone, always looks down), he pulls out his iPhone and starts surfing the web and refuses to respond. One of his other idiosyncratic traits is he wears a Star Wars sweater, shirt, jacket at these typically formal events. Everyone dressed in suits and dresses and he shows up in shitty jeans and a raggedy ass Star Wars sweater, mumbling to himself in the corner. So, last night we had another function the wife & I had to attend and the guy shows up in, yep, Star Wars gear and they sit at our table. I decide to roll with it for once and engage him on the subject I know is near and dear to his heart...Star Wars. Wow, big, huge mistake. At first all was good as he lit up like a Christmas tree when I asked him about Rogue One, however once his motor was running there was no shutting this cowboy down. Three god damned hours of non-stop Star Wars fan theories and an endless diatribe regarding all the books, how George Lucas is the greatest genius of all time, and how David Prowse is an ungrateful prick. Then, I made the ultimate mistake by stating Lucas sold out to marketing interests in favor of plot with ROTJ and those fucking Ewoks. No shit I thought this guy was going to kill me right there. His whole demeanor changed and I could see in his eyes he was debating whether to jam a fork in my eye or just walk away from such blasphemy. Thank god he chose the latter otherwise you would all be seeing my dead ass on the news about some Christmas party going awry and a man being stabbed to death with a fork by a man claiming to be Luke Skywalker's brother.

Sometimes it's best to not feed the bear, just smile and walk on by.

:hysterical:

Soooo...what you are saying is that your "citizen of the world" status does not extend to the far reaches of the galaxy? ;)

I see it is Midnight screenings again. I just wish my Mrs would agree to go then. Although i should count myself lucky she is even coming at all. And there would be the small problem of having no childminder. I am getting excited when reading the reviews. i do not want to know too much beforehand. That way i can act even more like a kid than i already am doing. i must admit, None will ever compare to the opening 3. They were just epic.

19 minutes ago, craigled said:

Friday afternoon for me. CANNOT WAIT.

Just finished watching it........enjoy the ride!

I wonder how crowded your cinemas are gonna be...due to going in the afternoon I had the pleasure to be one of seven people attending, almost did feel like having a private screening.

Edited by reswati

Just got back from Rogue One.....my thoughts:

If you like action...this one is the movie that gets you right into it, no opening crawl, but just....bammmmm!

Grittier than all the other prequels, I would not mind if they scrapped EP 1, 2 and 3, and replaced it with this film once and for all.

Although I missed seeing most of the familiar characters, there are some nice cameos for the hardcore fans of the saga, and also some bloody good characters to fill the void....love the new droid, the possibly mad Jedi wannabe, and Felicity Jones is classy and gorgeous.

I really enjoyed it. Darth came on 2 occasions. Was hoping for a lightsabre fight. He only used it to fend off gunshots. It was exciting with 2 or 3 emotional parts. Hardly anybody was in there with us. Afternoon of course. But a Friday and its only just come out. I say to any lifelong fans= Do not miss it. Watching at the cinema is the best.

On 2016-12-16 at 3:55 PM, craigled said:

I really enjoyed it. Darth came on 2 occasions. Was hoping for a lightsabre fight. He only used it to fend off gunshots. It was exciting with 2 or 3 emotional parts. Hardly anybody was in there with us. Afternoon of course. But a Friday and its only just come out. I say to any lifelong fans= Do not miss it. Watching at the cinema is the best.

Every movie is better at the cinema - you can take it all in and zone out on the film 

I've been a massive Star Wars fan since 77, so much so that I even loved the prequels and would happily defend them TO THE DEATH!!!!* I mean, I have an autographed Darth Maul photo hanging proudly on my wall. But these new movies, for some reason I just have absolutely no interest in seeing them. None whatsoever. Some of that I'm sure comes from the fact that I loathe Disney, and I guess I'd rather not partake in their inevitable running the franchise into the ground.

But more than that, I think I'm just done with the franchise. From 77 to 83 Star Wars was an absurdly important part of my life, and after Return of the Jedi I was both sad but also relieved that the franchise was done. I could move on from my obsession and start taking an active interest in other things, like girls, and reality. Then some years later the prequels were announced, and my first reaction was "oh good lord, now I'm going to have to plunge back into my Star Wars obsession again." And so for the next six years I that's what I did, filling my apartment with little Darth Maul action figures and spending countless hours on Star Wars forums and standing in lines for those opening day tickets. Then those movies ended, and once again I breathed a little sigh of relief that I could go back to living a Star Wars-free life. Aaaand now there's yet more movies. Fuck that. I feel like an alcoholic who, after years of sobriety, is offered a drink.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here, I just happened to notice a Star Wars thread and figured I'd toss in my two cents.

* hyperbole added for effect. While I do indeed love the prequels, so much so that I consider The Phantom Menace to be my favorite of all the Star Wars movies, even I can't stand Jar Jar Binks. But I'd still take Jar Jar over those fucking stupid Ewoks any day, hands down.

Well i enjoyed it. For me, I like this and The Force Awakens about the same. This was action packed from the beginning. With 2 or 3 emotional parts. Nothing will ever compare to the first 3. But take that away, I love it and cannot wait for the next one, The big one in 1 years time.

21 hours ago, BledZabbath said:

Who's Rey's parents?

We don't like to talk about that...its a family thing, something about an underage Princess or something getting knocked up by a milk man with midi-chlorines, a tattoo, and a seriously bad attitude.

39 minutes ago, IpMan said:

We don't like to talk about that...its a family thing, something about an underage Princess or something getting knocked up by a milk man with midi-chlorines, a tattoo, and a seriously bad attitude.

Ah damn, I thought Chewie and Maz Kanata were her parents.