Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Cleveland

sam_webmaster

I was there a couple months ago and was looking at this JPJ stuff -- it's so cool to sit there and look at that bass and hear Achilles playing in your head.

One thing that amazed me was how small his jacket and pants were. I mean, he must have been a tiny guy back then (actually he still looks like a small guy) -- I feel like I would rip that jacket to shreds if I tried it on and I am not that big a person by any means.

What sucks is this is the only representation of Zeppelin in the entire museum. I saw one of Bonham's green sparkle kits there once, but that was well over 15 years ago. Pat must have wanted it back.

• Administrators

I was there a couple months ago and was looking at this JPJ stuff -- it's so cool to sit there and look at that bass and hear Achilles playing in your head.

One thing that amazed me was how small his jacket and pants were. I mean, he must have been a tiny guy back then (actually he still looks like a small guy) -- I feel like I would rip that jacket to shreds if I tried it on and I am not that big a person by any means.

What sucks is this is the only representation of Zeppelin in the entire museum. I saw one of Bonham's green sparkle kits there once, but that was well over 15 years ago. Pat must have wanted it back.

JP's black dragon suit was on display there for a little while too.

JPJ's exhibit (recent pic)

jpj_Rockhalld.jpg

I've got more pics somewhere around here... Post 'em if ya got 'em....

thanks for posting :)

that's one crazy jacket .... and guitar!

what do all those symbols mean? i think i see a crab, a palm tree, a flamingo? ...... ?

From what I've read, many of the 1970's rock stars were tiny guys; particularly the Brits. Their larger-than-life quality owed more to charisma and swagger than actual physical presence. Thanks for sharing your photos with us.

thanks for posting :)

that's one crazy jacket .... and guitar!

what do all those symbols mean? i think i see a crab, a palm tree, a flamingo? ...... ?

becvar8_02.png

It's just an amazing creature--sort of Gothic Revival in style. Actually, it's more California Gothic, with a mandala on the back, with little mermaids, sea shells and palm trees inlaid. A very fine instrument. Very loud. The Riff King it was called. When Page first heard it, he said, "Oh, no. I'm not playing to that!" - John Paul Jones, Guitar World

That is not an Alembic, it's a BecVar bass. Bruce BecVar worked for Alembic and took the body templates for the Alembic Series 1 triple omega and made guitars on his own after Alembic told him not to. The 8 string bass (above) has no Alembic logo or serial number.

Thanks Aen. I notice the pink velvet suit is displayed quite often.

This was the first time Jimmy let his clothes be on display. I was told that Jimmy knew the people who organized it. Charlotte also let some of her clothes and shoes be in the same display. Hopefully, Jimmy will allow his clothes to be displayed closer than Japan, but I heard him say once that he wasn't happy they cut them when they displayed them.

JPJ's exhibit (recent pic)

jpj_Rockhalld.jpg

I've got more pics somewhere around here... Post 'em if ya got 'em....

Thank you so much... I love JPJ as much as I love other members... (which means probably too much for my own good)

This may be a stupid question, but is this still on display (it can't find anything on the site about individual pieces)? I'm likely going in about a week and would love to be able to see it in person.

This may be a stupid question, but is this still on display (it can't find anything on the site about individual pieces)? I'm likely going in about a week and would love to be able to see it in person.

I wouldn't mind some close up pictures of those inlays. They seem to to be oddly badass.

^Thanks for the info.

Was there any particular reason why Jones switched from the Fender Precision Bass to Alembic?

The Fender was literally falling apart, plus playing songs such as Achilles Last Stand required it. He'd had a Hagstrom 8-string bass at least since 1970 (you can sorta hear it on Celebration Day), so the BecVar was not completely a new concept to him.

I got some close®-up pictures of some of the inlays on the fretboard and the one on the body, as well as a couple close-ups on the suit itself. Will post them as soon as possible.

Archived