Need Your Suggestions for Road Trip Across the USA

Strider

Howdy folks!

On July 15, I embark upon my second trip of the summer. I am visiting friends in New England area and I'll be gone from July 15-30. I have long-dreamed of crossing the country from coast to coast and seeing all the various geographical and topographical sights and at last, my dream comes true.

Sure, I have flown across the country many times, and road-tripped on north-south routes and in regional areas(Texas to Nashville or Texas to Miami, for instance). But this is the grandaddy of road trips...California to Rhode Island. West Coast to East Coast and over 4,000 miles of road. And this is where I need your help.

While I am still in California and Las Vegas, I am good to go. Same thing for once I get to New York City and the New England area...my friends have me covered and have all sorts of things planned during my stay. But it is the stretch between Las Vegas and New York that will be unfamiliar to me, as I haven't been thru this part of the country in ages, if at all.

So, I have cobbled together a rough itinerary of my route across the country and what cities I'll be spending time in and at what time of day. If any of you out there has any suggestions for a good place to eat and/or grab a drink and soak up the local colour, please post your ideas. Also, any intetesting sights you know of or things to do would be helpful, too.

Okay...heading west to east:

July 16 (lunchtime) I'll be in Grand Junction, CO

July 16 (dinner) Denver, CO

July 17 (breakfast) Omaha, NE

July 17 (dinner) Chicago, IL

July 18 (breakfast) Milesburg, PA

Returning home to LA:

July 28 (breakfast) Pittsburgh, PA

July 28 (lunch) Columbus, OH

July 28 (dinner) Indianapolis, IN

July 29 (late night-early morning) St. Louis, MO

July 29 (lunch) Oklahoma City, OK

July 29 (dinner) Albuquerque, NM

I have no dietary restrictions, I'll eat any cuisine from around the world, the spicier the better. Whether it's carnivore or vegan, if it's good I'll try anything once. So don't be shy with your recommendations as I eat my way across America.

Hi Strider,

Nothing like driving across country.Did this three times.I can't give you food recommends as places I stuffed my gullet might not be there anymore(70's/late80's-90's) What I did was ask the locals where to go for chow,.....

Good to know that the NY/NE friends will serve you right.Hell,you better have some clams/steamers and seafood when your here!

You can't spend all that time in a car without stopping and seeing something. If you are heading to the New England area, then you should deviate from that path slightly and take in the "The Baseball Hall of Fame" in Cooperstown, New York. My other suggestion would be the National Military Park in Gettysburg. Not only are both everything they're cracked up to be, but the ambience of both cities is just killer.....that is if you've never been.

Hellsbells, Strider!

You should quit your job, get a film crew, and document your eating from one end of the country and back again. Except let the journey last around a year.

You intertwine eating and meeting Ledheads at food joints they suggest across the fruited plain. I'd be all over watching this. You'd be the perfect host.

Kinda like Triple D... don't tell me your wheels are a red convertible Camaro!

Dinner in Chicago - Purple Pig or Publican. Or a Rick Bayless place - Topolobampo or Frontera Grill. Oh hell, stay in Chicago for a few days and eat! :)

I'm checking with a good friend who's a chef in Omaha about breakfast places.

I'm not a breakfast person, but in Pittsburgh on the weekends they line up for at both Deluca's and Pamela's in the Strip District. DeLuca's is more of a greasy spoon with huge portions, Pamela's is a nicer diner known for their crepe pancakes. Either one you can have up to an hour wait on weekends. Or for another Pittsburgh tradition in the Strip, Primanti's is open 24/7. If you want fries and slaw on your sandwich, this is the place for you. You can get an egg on it and call it breakfast. Bloody Mary's at Roland's (also in the Strip) is my preferred breakfast, but may not be an option if you are heading to Columbus for lunch. You are going to gain a few pounds on this trip!

Pamela's has a few locations if the Strip District doesn't work for you.

My friend in Omaha says Wheatfields or Amato's for the ricotta pancakes. His first suggestion was Dixie Quick's, but they only do breakfast on weekends...

I wish you luck and safe travel. Are you bringing a friend? Or going it alone? If after you hit PA and if you head through upstate NY near Buffalo you could hit Niagra Falls if you have never been there, and then drive through the finger lakes before heading down to the big apple? But if you are heading to New England before NY City, you could take the interstate 90 East all the way to the Mass turnpike and into Boston or Cape Cod if you take the Saginaw Bridge. Let me know if you chose that route, as you will be going right past Rochester Good luck. Buffalo to Boston will take you about 9 hours. From Cleveland about 12.

I agree, check out Gettysburg, ......also, if in the Hudson Valley of NY, take a trip on the Dayliner ( if the still have that running)..its a nice afternoon on the Hudson river......there are some nice vineyards in that area of NY too...Millbrook comes to mind:

http://www.millbrookwine.com/index.php

You can't spend all that time in a car without stopping and seeing something. If you are heading to the New England area, then you should deviate from that path slightly and take in the "The Baseball Hall of Fame" in Cooperstown, New York. My other suggestion would be the National Military Park in Gettysburg. Not only are both everything they're cracked up to be, but the ambience of both cities is just killer.....that is if you've never been.

This is great! Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I am pressed for time so I haven't had a chance to search Yelp for all the towns and cities I am passing thru, so this is a big help and time-saver. I'm making a list of the spots mentioned.

ebk, I would love to hang in Chicago for a couple of days but every minute spent in Chicago is a minute less spent in New England and THAT is the raison d'etre of my trip. :D

I've been to Chicago before a couple of times, as I have New York, including upstate. So as much as I would love to see Niagara Falls again or visit Cooperstown(my friend and his son visited there earlier this year), I'm afraid it'll have to wait for another time. Gettysburg is a possibility on my way back...I'll give it some thought.

Strider,

As you probably know, I am not in the UK, therefore cannot help you with suggestions for eating places. However, what I'd like to ask is how are you going to cope with the sheer length of journey - there and back. If you are driving on your own, and then returning (all in this summer heat) how are you going to fare?

It sounds like the trip of a lifetime, and I wish you well. Do you have accommodation pre-booked, or are you just stopping on the way?

This is great! Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I am pressed for time so I haven't had a chance to search Yelp for all the towns and cities I am passing thru, so this is a big help and time-saver. I'm making a list of the spots mentioned.

ebk, I would love to hang in Chicago for a couple of days but every minute spent in Chicago is a minute less spent in New England and THAT is the raison d'etre of my trip. :D

I've been to Chicago before a couple of times, as I have New York, including upstate. So as much as I would love to see Niagara Falls again or visit Cooperstown(my friend and his son visited there earlier this year), I'm afraid it'll have to wait for another time. Gettysburg is a possibility on my way back...I'll give it some thought.

Strider,

It would help us to know what some of your interests are re: taking in the local sights, but I don't want to pry. One possible idea:

You'll probably want to stretch your legs after spending all day in your car so consider checking out Navy Pier in Chicago. There were lots of bars and restaurants when I was there in 2005 and I felt safe even though I was by myself. An added bonus is that at night you get nice breezes coming off Lake Michigan.

Have a fun and safe trip!

Strider,

Sounds like a great trip. Seems you're going to be skipping the south, otherwise I'd suggest a stop in Memphis to see Graceland, Sun Studios, Stax and the Gibson Guitar Museum/Factory. So much great bbq there with Rendezvous, Corky's and Marlowe's. The latter being you have the option of being picked up in a pink stretch cadillac.

In NYC you may consider the Intrepid Museum as well as Ground Zero Memorial. Let us know what your eating plans are for NYC and perhaps I may be able to suggest some.

Seems like you'll be going to NYC to Rhode Island and cross through CT. May want to stop at Mystic Seaport and Museum. It's worth a few hours here. I think it's about exit 90 on I-95. Around two hours or so from NYC.

Strider,

As you probably know, I am not in the UK, therefore cannot help you with suggestions for eating places. However, what I'd like to ask is how are you going to cope with the sheer length of journey - there and back. If you are driving on your own, and then returning (all in this summer heat) how are you going to fare?

It sounds like the trip of a lifetime, and I wish you well. Do you have accommodation pre-booked, or are you just stopping on the way?

Hey where is that Brit that told me to visit the Isle of Blight? The water is fucking just above freezing, and their are more cops than citizens due to Parkhurst, a jail like a big Alcatraz and thanks but not thanks. If I ever cross the pond I will go to London, Paris and who knows where else.

Strider,

Sounds like a great trip. Seems you're going to be skipping the south, otherwise I'd suggest a stop in Memphis to see Graceland, Sun Studios, Stax and the Gibson Guitar Museum/Factory. So much great bbq there with Rendezvous, Corky's and Marlowe's. The latter being you have the option of being picked up in a pink stretch cadillac.

In NYC you may consider the Intrepid Museum as well as Ground Zero Memorial. Let us know what your eating plans are for NYC and perhaps I may be able to suggest some.

Seems like you'll be going to NYC to Rhode Island and cross through CT. May want to stop at Mystic Seaport and Museum. It's worth a few hours here. I think it's about exit 90 on I-95. Around two hours or so from NYC.

Thanks mainly to my time at Ft. Hood, I have done plenty of traveling through Texas and the South...Memphis, New Orleans, Nashville, Shreveport, Clarksdale, Athens, Savannah, Jacksonville, Miami, and so on and so on. I've seen it all.

Same with NYC. Been there, done that.

It's the 10 days I'll be exploring the Connecticut-Rhode Island-Massachusetts area that I'm looking forward to the most, as that is virgin territory for me...save for one long ago visit to Boston.

Yes, Mystic is on my itinerary...the same day we're going to the Plant concert, as a matter of fact.

Oh, and a clarification...I'm not driving. I'm going old-school style before airplanes came along.

Archived