Favorite Guitar?

I just started giging again after a 20 year hiatus and the first problem I ran into was which guitars should I take to a gig? I got it down to four due to the variety of music the band plays (PRS for most tunes, Schecter Omen-6 for blues and slide, Yamaha AEX-500 for acoustic and folk, and the Tele for early Zeppelin and rockabilly).

Than about a week ago I had a "moment" while up in Flagstaff, AZ. I go into the local guitar shop (I always do this in every town I go to) and decide to sample the gear. The guy notices that I can actually play and tells me to check out the sweet guitars in the exclusive glass room. As I am checking out all these awesome guitars I can in no way afford I stumble upon a used Taylor T5C Hybrid. As soon as I picked this guitar up it was as if the Buddha himself walked into the room. I have never played a guitar I felt so at home with from the get go. Once I plugged it in I was surprised as hell at the versatility of this piece of art. With the right setup of amps and affects I could duplicate almost any guitar and tone except for pure acoustic and metal.

I was able to haggle the guy down to $1,500 and I was gone, Taylor in hand. Two nights later I had a gig and I only brought the Taylor and the Schecter...more than enough it turned out. I only used the Schecter for slide work but I could have just as easily used the Taylor if I was not such a tone freak when it comes to slide blues.

Anyway, the Taylor is my new favorite. A truly beautiful guitar designed right, at least for me. This guitar has indeed become my muse.

Thoughts? Anyone have a similar experience with a guitar or am I just fixating on a totem???

I bought my "new" Les Paul from a buddy of mine about a month ago and I think it's safe to say it's the best guitar I ever played - and I've played alot of guitars.

She's a R8 Les Paul from the Gibson Custom Shop, and holy crap, did they do a great job on that piece of wood! The neck is fat just how I like them, the top is amazing and the tone is exquisite. Already played two gigs with her and she behaved really well, didn't go out of tune.

I bought it for two thousand bucks and I think that I got a real good deal on her. I'm planning on getting another one just like her so I can keep one tuning on each.

What a guitar!!

Do you ever play in Maricopa County?

Not yet, mostly in California (San Diego) on the weekends. I am out that way on business Thursday's so I stay Friday & Saturday. Met a couple of local guys who shared a similar interest about forming a band with the premise of having fun and just playing. All of us were jaded and reluctant to join a band after our individual experiences from years past. We even drew up a charter and everyone had to sign. It pretty much said: Show up on time, laid out a practice time and dates, no drinking or drugs before or during a gig or practice, and whatever someone wants to play, we play, no arguing just play the fucking song. Of course most important have fun!!!

We all had the experience of being in bands that functioned more like a jr high school dodge ball team than a working band. Too many egos, too much bullshit, and not enough talent. We are all middle age and just want to have fun and play some music.

If all goes well we will probably pick up some dates in the Phx area...Will keep you posted.

Glad you are gigging again. Playing live is like breathing fresh air from a cool breeze. Really special after a layoff. Hope your crowds are there for you and the music not just the party and that the journey is drama free.

Each guitar in my herd got there the same way you describe. I do have a black T5 12-string. I took her home because of the pick-up selector switch and what it does for me. She takes a slide just fine. I have an 812CE that I love/hate. Have replaced the electronics multiple times and she is the little tart that pisses me off but I can't say goodbye to her for long so she goes into time out in the vault for a while. Then I can't stand her not being with me so I go apologize and rediscover her all over again.

vault_zps7bbe7948.jpg

Archived