Jimmys' new favorite band - Rival Sons

feather in the wind

I find it funny that soo many Zeppelin fans hate Rival Sons since they are so Zep influenced.

Not sure what your basis is for that assertion is? If you go through the several threads devoted to Rival Sons (search function must have been down) you won't find much hate here. You might find some "meh" but overall people on here seem to be positive towards the band.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/16883-rival-sons/?hl=%2Brival+%2Bsons

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/16194-rival-sons-from-los-angeles/?hl=%2Brival+%2Bsons

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/18802-rival-sons-toy-great-new-bands/?hl=%2Brival+%2Bsons

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/19291-are-rival-sons-the-new-led-zeppelin/page-2?hl=+rival%20+sons

Not sure what your basis is for that assertion is? If you go through the several threads devoted to Rival Sons (search function must have been down) you won't find much hate here. You might find some "meh" but overall people on here seem to be positive towards the band.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/16883-rival-sons/?hl=%2Brival+%2Bsons

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/16194-rival-sons-from-los-angeles/?hl=%2Brival+%2Bsons

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/18802-rival-sons-toy-great-new-bands/?hl=%2Brival+%2Bsons

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/19291-are-rival-sons-the-new-led-zeppelin/page-2?hl=+rival%20+sons

These threads are interesting - thanks for posting! And again, thanks for being so supporting of Rival Sons!

What pray tell is the Brian May Whore-O-Meter?

A personal scale to devised to measure whorage. Brian May: nice bloke, can't say no to anyone who asks him to collaborate. Will show up to the opening of an envelope to further the Queen legacy. He's so off the scale; he is the scale.

Boy bands and 10 year old rappers: Yes, you can cover the song and yes I'll perform with you.

God Save the Queen on top of Buckingham Palace, of course!

Go on tour with the winner of American Idol, why not!

Create a Queen tribute band to go on North American tour, yes! better perform with them on American Idol first.

Queen: the musical? great idea!

and on, and on, and on.....

Alright, wait a second!

You can go ahead and say what you will about rival sons or whatever the heck you want, but don't you dare say anything about Brian May....

He's like the coolest guy and one of my favorite guitar players, and you people are calling him a musical whore because he's trying to bring

his music to a new generation and promote his band??

You guys just went full retard.

Alright, wait a second!

You can go ahead and say what you will about rival sons or whatever the heck you want, but don't you dare say anything about Brian May....

He's like the coolest guy and one of my favorite guitar players, and you people are calling him a musical whore because he's trying to bring

his music to a new generation and promote his band??

You guys just went full retard.

I'm sure he's a cool guy, but he hasn't done anything with integrity for years. Employing popstars who don't know the words as the new lead singer of Queen so that he can use his teenage girl fanbase to sell tickets? That's shameful.

I'm sure he's a cool guy, but he hasn't done anything with integrity for years. Employing popstars who don't know the words as the new lead singer of Queen so that he can use his teenage girl fanbase to sell tickets? That's shameful.

Who cares!

He has to make a living one way or another, and at least he's doing something. I tell you what, it's good that Page wants these bands to somehow get linked with Zeppelin, I really don't mind if he decides to play on a justin bieber album, you don't have to go listen, I wouldn't hate him because that's his decision!

Santana has been doing that for the last 30 years and nobody said anything, and nobody should say anything because if they wanna do it, they are free to do whatever the hell they want. Just because I love Jimmy Page and Zeppelin doesn't mean I have to like everything Page has done post-zeppelin, for example, I can't stand the Coverdale Page thing he had going on for a while, but you don't see me crying about it.

Who cares!

He has to make a living one way or another, and at least he's doing something. I tell you what, it's good that Page wants these bands to somehow get linked with Zeppelin, I really don't mind if he decides to play on a justin bieber album, you don't have to go listen, I wouldn't hate him because that's his decision!

Santana has been doing that for the last 30 years and nobody said anything, and nobody should say anything because if they wanna do it, they are free to do whatever the hell they want. Just because I love Jimmy Page and Zeppelin doesn't mean I have to like everything Page has done post-zeppelin, for example, I can't stand the Coverdale Page thing he had going on for a while, but you don't see me crying about it.

I <3 Coverdale/Page. There are some awesome Japanese bootlegs from that tour.

I find it funny that soo many Zeppelin fans hate Rival Sons since they are so Zep influenced. Wouldn't this mean that you actually don't enjoy Led Zepplins music and have just jumped on a band wagon? I think Rival Sons are the best new band out there and hope they do well for themselves and keep bringing us some real music instead of that over produced crap that's out there. I also find it quite amusing that someone commented saying that the Rival Sons are jerks and the lead singer is soo full of himself. Really people? I've happened to have the liberty of meeting all of the band members while they were on tour in Canada and they were some of the nicest guys I have met in the biz.

Lies get you nowhere and if you are just another band/person trying to bring someone else down to gain status in the world it just shows what kind of character you really are. Everyone has a right to their own opinion but when you are spreading lies there's a problem. So come on, let's all give our heads a shake and enjoy a band that play their own instruments and actually sing their own lyrics. Don't hate, appreciate! Being hateful is not that Zeppelin of you.

This is just a foolish notion! I like oranges, but I don't like tangerines. They are both fruit...both citrus fruit and one might be a derivative of the other, but that doesn't mean that a person must like one if they like the other. In the case of Led Zeppelinesque, I'll take the first fruit, thank you. Rarely do I find "Zep influenced" bands even comparable, try as they may. And there are a lot of them out there. How could that possibly equate to "jumping on the band wagon" (whatever that means)?

This is just a foolish notion! I like oranges, but I don't like tangerines. They are both fruit...both citrus fruit and one might be a derivative of the other, but that doesn't mean that a person must like one if they like the other. In the case of Led Zeppelinesque, I'll take the first fruit, thank you. Rarely do I find "Zep influenced" bands even comparable, try as they may. And there are a lot of them out there. How could that possibly equate to "jumping on the band wagon" (whatever that means)?

Zep-influenced or not, Rival Sons are part of the modern era. Along with Wolfmother, Black Keys, Jack White, Graveyard, SheepDogs, and even Alabama Shakes. I can listen and tell you who all their influences are - Zep too. Bottom line: who f^*king cares. They write good songs and they all rock. Some of you Zep heads are so snobbish. I could care less if you don't like rival sons, but wake up and know what decade you're in! Totally philosophizing you're way out of liking new bands. It's hilarious. Ha! Drink a beer, or smoke one, or both, and open your ears to a new era of rock and roll. Better yet, YOU go write songs, tour, get a deal, get the right agents, tour again, and again and again, pray that rock and roll can pierce through the S^*t metal punk emo crap on "rock" radio, and on and on. Armchair laptop "critics." Too funny

MojoMagic, on 23 Jul 2013 - 17:52, said:

Zep-influenced or not, Rival Sons are part of the modern era. Along with Wolfmother, Black Keys, Jack White, Graveyard, SheepDogs, and even Alabama Shakes. I can listen and tell you who all their influences are - Zep too. Bottom line: who f^*king cares. They write good songs and they all rock. Some of you Zep heads are so snobbish. I could care less if you don't like rival sons, but wake up and know what decade you're in! Totally philosophizing you're way out of liking new bands. It's hilarious. Ha! Drink a beer, or smoke one, or both, and open your ears to a new era of rock and roll. Better yet, YOU go write songs, tour, get a deal, get the right agents, tour again, and again and again, pray that rock and roll can pierce through the S^*t metal punk emo crap on "rock" radio, and on and on. Armchair laptop "critics." Too funny

Are you paid by the band? You joined yesterday when people said they disliked Rival Sons, and every single one of your forum posts is attacking people who criticise them. Either that or a rabid fan who needs to cool off a little and realise people don't have to like the same things as you.

Rarely do I find "Zep influenced" bands even comparable, try as they may. And there are a lot of them out there.

Alot? Name 5.... So if a white guy sounds bluesy, he's all of a sudden Robert Plant-esque? How bout Robert Plant RIPPING Steve Marriott? If someone plays sloppy blues licks with a Les Paul through a Marshall, he's all of a sudden Jimmy-influenced? (haha I love Page's slop) its like you're all offended that someone is influenced by Zep. Like they hold some magic key to some holy grail. One of my fav bands of all time, but their s^*t still stanks...

Rival Sons are a great band. They are great guys as well. Check out Manifest Destiny off of Head Down. They really know how to sell a song. MD reminds me of a hybrid of No Quarter and When the Levee breaks.

They do emulate the best parts of Zep, yet they have their own Identity. I feel like RS can edit a little bit better than Zep. They also seem a little bit more clear with their vocals. They are a little bit more chorus orientated than Zep

Both shine when they go into dirty blues mode.

Maybe history will find the era of "rock music" to be confined to a specific period of time. What interests me is something quintessentially "new", "inventive", yet drawing from the past...not just a remake of the past. I just don't hear much of anything new in most of this era of music...particularly in rock music.

Rarely do I find "Zep influenced" bands even comparable, try as they may. And there are a lot of them out there.

Alot? Name 5.... So if a white guy sounds bluesy, he's all of a sudden Robert Plant-esque? How bout Robert Plant RIPPING Steve Marriott? If someone plays sloppy blues licks with a Les Paul through a Marshall, he's all of a sudden Jimmy-influenced? (haha I love Page's slop) its like you're all offended that someone is influenced by Zep. Like they hold some magic key to some holy grail. One of my fav bands of all time, but their s^*t still stanks...

MojoMagic's To-Do List

1. Create account.

2. Defend Rival Sons vehemently. Proceed to argue from emotion if someone has a differing opinion to you and make wild assertions such as:

"If you say they are not exciting, then you're probably not a Zep fan!"

3. Throw in an ad-hominem:

"Some of you Zep heads are so snobbish."

4. Move to trolling phase with the go-to classics - accusations of plagiarism and sloppiness:

"How bout Robert Plant RIPPING Steve Marriott?"

"If someone plays sloppy blues licks with a Les Paul through a Marshall, he's all of a sudden Jimmy-influenced? (haha I love Page's slop)"

5. Suggest that people can only have an opinion about something after they have done it themselves:

"Better yet, YOU go write songs, tour, get a deal, get the right agents, tour again, and again and again, pray that rock and roll can pierce through the S^*t metal punk emo crap on "rock" radio, and on and on."

6. Remind people that despite your all-encompassing, all-consuming love for the Rival Sons you still like those sloppy plagiarists, Zeppelin:

"One of my fav bands of all time, but their s^*t still stanks..."

7. Get banned.

great thread. ;)

....and thanks for starting it and contributing so much - after all - if not for you there would of only been four other Rival Sons threads to post in.

MojoMagic's To-Do List

1. Create account.

2. Defend Rival Sons vehemently. Proceed to argue from emotion if someone has a differing opinion to you and make wild assertions such as:

"If you say they are not exciting, then you're probably not a Zep fan!"

3. Throw in an ad-hominem:

"Some of you Zep heads are so snobbish."

4. Move to trolling phase with the go-to classics - accusations of plagiarism and sloppiness:

"How bout Robert Plant RIPPING Steve Marriott?"

"If someone plays sloppy blues licks with a Les Paul through a Marshall, he's all of a sudden Jimmy-influenced? (haha I love Page's slop)"

5. Suggest that people can only have an opinion about something after they have done it themselves:

"Better yet, YOU go write songs, tour, get a deal, get the right agents, tour again, and again and again, pray that rock and roll can pierce through the S^*t metal punk emo crap on "rock" radio, and on and on."

6. Remind people that despite your all-encompassing, all-consuming love for the Rival Sons you still like those sloppy plagiarists, Zeppelin:

"One of my fav bands of all time, but their s^*t still stanks..."

7. Get banned.

LOL. CUTE. more great creative responses. yay! you're so smart! and yes. guilty. i stand corrected.

i love the Sons and am incredibly passionate. ad hominem attack anyone? geezum, you got me!!

anyway, Pagesbow to do list:

1) answer the question. (name 5 modern bands who sound like Zep. cuz there's "a lot of them" out there....)

LOL. CUTE. more great creative responses. yay! you're so smart! and yes. guilty. i stand corrected.

i love the Sons and am incredibly passionate. ad hominem attack anyone? geezum, you got me!!

anyway, Pagesbow to do list:

1) answer the question. (name 5 modern bands who sound like Zep. cuz there's "a lot of them" out there....)

Mate, I'm thick - imagine what I could come up with if I were smart.

To be fair, I didn't assert there are "a lot of them out there" it was nat431 so really a question for them to answer?

But I'll play along: here are a few bands with a Zeppelin influence (off the top of my head) so you can use it to prove a point, or disagree.

This was produced by John Paul Jones

These guys cover Kashmir in concert, and you can hear a bit of that in this song.

feather in the wind, on 23 Jul 2013 - 16:26, said:snapback.png

....and thanks for starting it and contributing so much - after all - if not for you there would of only been four other Rival Sons threads to post in.

hafuckingha. didn't see the other 3 threads.

Four mate, four

http://forums.ledzep...hl=+rival +sons

http://forums.ledzep...hl= rival sons

Yours is the most popular though! I might go and post in the others just to balance things out.

Yours is the most popular though! I might go and post in the others just to balance things out.

Go, do it. For every post u make in other threads, I will make one in here, so you will never balance things out. After some time, though, we could rename this form led-zep forum to rival-sons forum :))))))))).

Archived