Jimmys' new favorite band - Rival Sons

feather in the wind

Go, do it. For every post u make in other threads, I will make one in here, so you will never balance things out. After some time, though, we could rename this form led-zep forum to rival-sons forum :))))))))).

I've already done it!

Sorry, but you're very wrong about that. I guess I made the mistake of making my first post about "Jimmy Page's current favorite band" (that is what the thread is about, right?) instead of Zeppelin.

I agree with Page, I think they're really good, simple as that.

I don't want start out on the wrong foot here, but to already be accused " to have signed up soley for the purpose of posting on this topic" is a just a bunch of paranoid bullshit.

I like Rival Sons, but they don't sound very original in many ways. It's like a cassette tape mix from 1976. Not that that is totally bad. It's like they are paying homage to other bands. I hear a lot of other stuff in their music. "The Heist" is probably my favorite. A friend of mine refers to them as Trivial Sons, heh.

Sorry, but you're very wrong about that. I guess I made the mistake of making my first post about "Jimmy Page's current favorite band" (that is what the thread is about, right?) instead of Zeppelin.

I agree with Page, I think they're really good, simple as that.

I don't want start out on the wrong foot here, but to already be accused " to have signed up soley for the purpose of posting on this topic" is a just a bunch of paranoid bullshit.

"accused to have signed up soley for the purpose of posting on this topic" really...really? You take an off the cuff observation (delivered with a smiley face) as a personal accusation and evidence of "paranoid bullshit" dude, I think you're the one that's paranoid. How about not taking things so seriously? start off on that foot...

If originality is your bottom line, then they'll be a very, very limited amount of music you'll ever be able to truly appreciate.

And yes, "they're paying homage to other bands", in this genre of music, how can you not do that?

So, tell me...who's a current "original" artist/band that you're into, just curious. Maybe you'll turn me on to something I'm not aware of.

Despite the smiley face, I'm pretty sure you accused me of being "soley" being here to wave the Rival Sons flag,

and that's not the case at all.

If I'm wrong about that, I apologize.

"accused to have signed up soley for the purpose of posting on this topic" really...really? You take an off the cuff observation (delivered with a smiley face) as a personal accusation and evidence of "paranoid bullshit" dude, I think you're the one that's paranoid. How about not taking things so seriously? start off on that foot...

If originality is your bottom line, then they'll be a very, very limited amount of music you'll ever be able to truly appreciate.

And yes, "they're paying homage to other bands", in this genre of music, how can you not do that?

So, tell me...who's a current "original" artist/band that you're into, just curious. Maybe you'll turn me on to something I'm not aware of.

I didn't know the genre made a difference?
Heck, The Black Crowes are more original than Rival Sons. Just ask Keith Richards :) Doesn't matter. I never meant it as a put down. I believe they choose to pay homage in a rather heavy-handed way is all. Again, nothing wrong with that either. Music I can appreciate? I guess it's up to me to decide that for myself :) I've been appreciating music for a very long time and have been doing just fine at it.
Current original band you want turned onto? My job is not to turn you onto any band. I just replied to a thread.
Also, I think you feel I put Rival Sons down saying they were not original. They sound REAL to me and that's why I like them. Some bands are not original nor do they sound real. I think Rival Sons actually believe in what they are doing and that's why they do it good. I think I even stated in another Rival thread that they somewhat make it their own sound and to me that is because they are a real band. Not some marketing.

Saying the Black Crowes are more original than Rival Sons is just silly, they're both thieves, really really good thieves.

If you could have come up with a new "original" band that you're into, you would have. No, its not "you're job", never said it was.

It was just a question, one you either couldn't, or refused to answer.

Don't get pissed at me. You say you like Rival Sons, so we are at least on the same page here, right?

I'm not pissed at you at all. You are the one with a chip on your internet shoulder. You keep mentioning you want an "original" band I'm into. Does that mean a band that originally sounds like Zeppelin, Grand Funk etc? Or can I post about an original band that sounds like Dave Brubeck?

Dude, you just proved my point. Even pondering the thought of what's original or not is a mind fuck.

And yes, you can post "about an original band that sounds like Dave Brubeck?" Am I the only one here puzzled by this?

Just for shits and giggles, original bands really aren't suppose to sound like...other bands.

Despite the smiley face, I'm pretty sure you accused me of being "soley" being here to wave the Rival Sons flag,

and that's not the case at all.

If I'm wrong about that, I apologize.

It was just a joke. Let's try and move on.

I didn't know the genre made a difference?
Heck, The Black Crowes are more original than Rival Sons. Just ask Keith Richards :) Doesn't matter. I never meant it as a put down. I believe they choose to pay homage in a rather heavy-handed way is all. Again, nothing wrong with that either. Music I can appreciate? I guess it's up to me to decide that for myself :) I've been appreciating music for a very long time and have been doing just fine at it.
Current original band you want turned onto? My job is not to turn you onto any band. I just replied to a thread.
Also, I think you feel I put Rival Sons down saying they were not original. They sound REAL to me and that's why I like them. Some bands are not original nor do they sound real. I think Rival Sons actually believe in what they are doing and that's why they do it good. I think I even stated in another Rival thread that they somewhat make it their own sound and to me that is because they are a real band. Not some marketing.

Everyone is copying someone, right back to when we are infants we copy our parents - It's human nature. Elvis was an "original" even though he was copying others, it's just that we have alomost 60 years of rock 'n' roll to reference now. We should probably stop citing lack of originality to dimiss bands, or diminish them (not saying you are) because realistically at this point how can a band working within the rock format be original?

All the great novels have probably been written at this point, or are based on the same general themes, should we stop writing any more?

A 15 year old listening to Tame Impala or Rival Sons is maybe hearing that type of music for the first time, isn't that valid? does it have to be wholly "original" if it is original in the listeners mind.

Rock used to be about a divide between parents and teenager, but now the teenagers of the 60's/70's/80's have become parents, and tthey are tapping the teenager on the shoulder and saying "Rival Sons sounds like Zeppelin" or "Tame Impala sound like Cream" with the implication that the music the teenager is listening to isn't as good or as meaningful as the music they listened to. Well, maybe it's not but surely every generation should be allowed to have its own bands.

I think only when the gerenration of people who were of the era of The Beatles, Led Zeppelin (the archytypes, if you will) pop their clogs then maybe rock music will be able to move forward without such constant comparison and nostaligic looks over its shoulder to a percieved golden age. Those bands will always be there but they won't be the "sacred cows" they currently are. We shall see.

BTW, I'm not attacking you here, just using your initial post to muse.

Thank you. You pretty much summed up what I was trying to say here, expect for the part about a generation of rock fans having to "pop their clogs" in order to allow rock music to move forward. I'm 50 years old and yet I'm still able to appreciate and allow new acts to have their shot at carrying the torch (somebody has to) without holding the past against them.

You either got it, or you don't.

I love bands such as Blackberry Smoke, Mastadon, Rival Sons, Gary Clark jr, and I'm always eagerly awaiting anything new that I can get into. I think this should exclude me from the generation that needs to die off in order for rock to move forward (humour).

Anyways, this fucking rocks, and that's pretty much all I care about:

Blind... that WAS a good clip.

They might not have the retro look or cop the obvious Zep flourishes, but you will not find a more undersanding Zep/Page devotee than Ian Thornley. The guy deconstructs/reconstructs the Zep zeitgeist like a master. Dark/Light done right.

THIS is taking the baton and carrying it further IMHO. This has Page/Hendrix all over it.

This has such a Stairway feel to the structure....

In context it evolves like Page's solos used to do (the original song has no solo)....

Big Wreck

Sorry for the detour.

Thank you. You pretty much summed up what I was trying to say here, expect for the part about a generation of rock fans having to "pop their clogs" in order to allow rock music to move forward. I'm 50 years old and yet I'm still able to appreciate and allow new acts to have their shot at carrying the torch (somebody has to) without holding the past against them.

You either got it, or you don't.

I love bands such as Blackberry Smoke, Mastadon, Rival Sons, Gary Clark jr, and I'm always eagerly awaiting anything new that I can get into. I think this should exclude me from the generation that needs to die off in order for rock to move forward (humour).

Anyways, this fucking rocks, and that's pretty much all I care about:

No problem. I guess we all have our favourites and can be guilty of putting them on pedestals to a degree, but I think ultimately it's not an attitude that is condusive to music moving forward in any meaningful way, because we're always stuck in the past worshipping our "gods" and we either miss out on good contemporary music, or are too quick to dismiss it. I feel that new bands don't really get the chance to develop these days because after one album they are being compared to the entire work of Led Zeppelin, or The Beatles.

I find interesting that other forms of music like pop, country, metal, electronica, punk, rap etc. don't really seem to have this problem.

Its probably because the bar has been set so fucking high. One thing for sure is, it's hard out there for rock band nowadays.

That's why, when one breaks through that's worthy, I'm rooting for them.

Archived