Led Zeppelin/related Archives - New Orleans

Good stuff RH. Really enjoying this thread. Amazing how much New Orleans has factored into Zeppelin and their members throughout their musical history! :thumbsup:

Dave, I know you mentioned that you'd like to stay at the famous "Royal Orleans" when you visit New Orleans....Although the name has changed, it's still a pristine hotel.

Here's something for ya!

"Royal Orleans" is a song by English rock group Led Zeppelin, from their 1976 album Presence.

When in New Orleans on concert tours, members of the group would stay at the Royal Orleans Hotel, and the song is reportedly based on an incident that occurred there.%5B1%5D The story goes that, once when staying at the hotel in the early 1970s, John Paul Jones brought a woman from the bar up to his room, unaware she was a transvestite. Both smoked marijuana and fell asleep, the transvestite with a lit joint in her hand, which caught fire and burned the room down (though everyone escaped). The lyrics include lines such as "Be careful how you choose it" and "Poor whiskers set the room alight" to reference the event.

The song alludes to the fact that it was John Paul Jones from the line:

John Cameron was a studio rival of John Paul Jones. The song also alludes to Barry White.%5B1%5D

And when the sun peeked through

John Cameron with Suzanna,

He kissed the whiskers, left & right

Also note that Jerry Cameron was from Cameron Sound, Miami, FL a sound reinforcement company which may have been used on the tour. This was supposed to be a compliment to include Jerry's name in the lyric.

In an interview he gave to Mojo magazine in 2007, Jones clarified the reliability of this rumour, stating that:

"Royal Orleans" is the only song on the album credited to all four members (or any members besides Robert Plant and Jimmy Page). Vocalist Robert Plant wrote most of the lyrics, using the song as a way to poke fun at Jones, allegedly because of a comment Jones once made that vocals were the least important part of the band. The song was the B-side of "Candy Store Rock". Drummer John Bonham played bongo drums on this track.%5B1%5D

The transvestites were actually friends of Richard [Cole's]; normal friendly people and we were all at some bar. That I mistook a transvestite for a girl is rubbish; that happened in another country to somebody else... Anyway 'Stephanie' ended up in my room and we rolled a joint or two and I fell asleep and set fire to the hotel room, as you do, ha ha, and when I woke up it was full of firemen!%5B2%5D

"Royal Orleans" was never performed live by the band at Led Zeppelin concerts

Royal Orleans lyrics 1976:

One time love, take care how you use it

Try to make it last all night, And if you take your pick

Be careful how you choose it, Sometimes it's hard to feel it bite

Feel it bite.

A man I know, went down to Louisiana,

Had himself a bad, bad fight

Whiskers!

Now, now, now, fright subsides

Out at a hotel in the quarter, our friends check in to pass the night

Now love gets hot, but fire preceded water

Poor whiskers set the room alight.

Whiskers!

Down on Bourbon street, You know it's right

You can see my friend, they run around all through the night

Most everywhere, Until the closet's bare

Run for the razor, Doin' up my hair

New Orleans queens, Sure know how to schmooze it

Maybe for some that seems alright

When I step out, strut down with my sugar

She'd best not talk like Barry White!

Feel it bite.

http://youtu.be/GQwkBftAZDg

Dave, I know you mentioned that you'd like to stay at the famous "Royal Orleans" when you visit New Orleans....Although the name has changed, it's still a pristine hotel.

Here's something for ya!

"Royal Orleans" is a song by English rock group Led Zeppelin, from their 1976 album Presence.

When in New Orleans on concert tours, members of the group would stay at the Royal Orleans Hotel, and the song is reportedly based on an incident that occurred there.%5B1%5D The story goes that, once when staying at the hotel in the early 1970s, John Paul Jones brought a woman from the bar up to his room, unaware she was a transvestite. Both smoked marijuana and fell asleep, the transvestite with a lit joint in her hand, which caught fire and burned the room down (though everyone escaped). The lyrics include lines such as "Be careful how you choose it" and "Poor whiskers set the room alight" to reference the event.

The song alludes to the fact that it was John Paul Jones from the line:

John Cameron was a studio rival of John Paul Jones. The song also alludes to Barry White.%5B1%5D

Also note that Jerry Cameron was from Cameron Sound, Miami, FL a sound reinforcement company which may have been used on the tour. This was supposed to be a compliment to include Jerry's name in the lyric.

In an interview he gave to Mojo magazine in 2007, Jones clarified the reliability of this rumour, stating that:

"Royal Orleans" is the only song on the album credited to all four members (or any members besides Robert Plant and Jimmy Page). Vocalist Robert Plant wrote most of the lyrics, using the song as a way to poke fun at Jones, allegedly because of a comment Jones once made that vocals were the least important part of the band. The song was the B-side of "Candy Store Rock". Drummer John Bonham played bongo drums on this track.%5B1%5D

The transvestites were actually friends of Richard [Cole's]; normal friendly people and we were all at some bar. That I mistook a transvestite for a girl is rubbish; that happened in another country to somebody else... Anyway 'Stephanie' ended up in my room and we rolled a joint or two and I fell asleep and set fire to the hotel room, as you do, ha ha, and when I woke up it was full of firemen!%5B2%5D

"Royal Orleans" was never performed live by the band at Led Zeppelin concerts

Royal Orleans lyrics 1976:

Feel it bite.

A man I know, went down to Louisiana,

Had himself a bad, bad fight

Whiskers!

Now, now, now, fright subsides

Out at a hotel in the quarter, our friends check in to pass the night

Now love gets hot, but fire preceded water

Poor whiskers set the room alight.

Whiskers!

Down on Bourbon street, You know it's right

You can see my friend, they run around all through the night

Most everywhere, Until the closet's bare

Run for the razor, Doin' up my hair

New Orleans queens, Sure know how to schmooze it

Maybe for some that seems alright

When I step out, strut down with my sugar

She'd best not talk like Barry White!

Feel it bite.

http://youtu.be/GQwkBftAZDg

Thanks RH. I've heard this one before. Sort of legendary I guess. Glad JPJ has explained it and makes some sense now.

The Kinks' song, "Lola" is based on a man mistaking a transvestite for a woman. The story I read is that a naive, young roadie who worked for the band spent the night chatting up a transvestite, unaware that she was really a he, much to his colleagues' amusement. John Paul Jones may have been quiet, but I doubt that he was that naive by the time he joined Led Zeppelin. We're talking about a guy who toured England with a British rock 'n roll group when he was 17 and came of age in Swinging London.

I wonder if some rock music fans conflate the two songs and mistake the incident that inspired "Lola" for the incident that inspired "Royal Orleans"?

Led Zeppelin Landmarks in New Orleans: Old Absinthe House & Royal Orleans Hotel

20071002060.jpg

(Photo Credit: Steve A. Jones) (October 2, 2007)

20071002063.jpg

20071002065.jpg

20071002067.jpg

20071002068.jpg

20071002064.jpg

20071002085.jpg

20071002086.jpg

20071002087.jpg

20071002083.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting that article pblaster. I enjoyed reading it. In fact, thanks for starting this discussion Rock Historian. I love that my favorite band has such a long entwined history in my favorite city and hometown. New Orleans definitely got into the bands blood......something that she is known to do to unsuspecting visitors. You can leave N.O., but she never leaves you.

Had some old articles bookmarked about the band in New Orleans, but for the life of me I can't locate them now.....but, they were pretty much restating things that have already been covered. There is this one:

http://www.theind.com/living-ind/1542

I know it's not about New Orleans per se, but the reason Plant was in my neck of the woods was rooted in New Orleans.

Led Zeppelin Landmarks in New Orleans: Old Absinthe House & Royal Orleans Hotel

20071002060.jpg

20071002063.jpg

20071002065.jpg

20071002067.jpg

20071002068.jpg

20071002064.jpg

20071002085.jpg

20071002086.jpg

20071002087.jpg

20071002083.jpg

The place has character judging from the photos.

Archived