Harvey Weinstein claims that :'Jimmy Page's Lawyer Ended Led Zeppelin Reunion Dream'

slave to zep

• 1 month later...

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/09/09/12-12-12-tiff-harvey-weinstein_n_3891442.html

'12.12.12' TIFF: Harvey Weinstein Savages Jimmy Page, Reveals Stunning Kristen Stewart Secret At Rock Doc Premiere

HuffPost Canada Music | By Sarah Kurchak

Posted: 09/09/2013 1:10 pm EDT | Updated: 09/09/2013 1:52 pm EDT

Music and film fans may have come to the Toronto International Film Festival's world premiere of "12.12.12" for the documentary's flashy mix of live performances and backstage footage from the star-studded Hurricane Sandy benefit concert at Madison Square Gardens, but they stayed for the post-screening gossip.

That's not necessarily a slight against the film itself, which was chock full of stunning footage of performances from concert stars like Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, The Who, The Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney -- and the remaining members of Nirvana, who get a surprisingly passing mention -- and augmented with a number of delightful and often unexpected backstage moments.

Paul McCartney's efforts to convince Alicia Keys that he's as cool as his daughter Stella are particularly amusing. And Chris Martin's stunned delight when Michael Stipe says that he wants him to sing along to "Losing My Religion" during the performance is almost enough to obliterate any Coldplay and/or GOOP-related stigma the singer has accrued over the years.

But nothing came close to torrent of named names and unbridled bitterness that the concert promoter and Hollywood bigwig Harvey Weinstein dished in the post-screening Q&A with his fellow event organizers James Dolan and John Sykes and doc producers Amir Bar-Lev and Meghan O’Hara. Some of the things that Weinstein willingly shared with the sold-out crowd at Toronto's Wintergarden Theatre left Bar-Lev, the film's director, visibly stunned at some of the things he'd missed while he was filming the event.

First of all, Weinstein gleefully confessed that he'd platonically whored out "Twilight" star Kristen Stewart for charity funds. Apparently the "Prince of an Arabian country" was offering to pay top dollar for a fifteen minute chat with the chronically awkward actress.

Weinstein called Stewart and filled her in on the situation. "She said 'How much?' My kind of girl," he quipped. The mogul and the prince were eventually able to agree to a $500 000 donation. In cash. The prince, Stewart and a number of body guards enjoyed a lovely fifteen minutes together during the concert.

Weinstein was even more forthcoming, not to mention venomous, when a member of the audience asked if they'd asked Led Zeppelin to play the concert.

As it turns out, they had. Weinstein was convinced that an appearance from the band's remaining members could significantly increase the amount of money that the benefit could earn for victims of the hurricane. So he approached Robert Plant.

"We get an OK from Plant if Page will do it... Jimmy Page doesn't want to do it," Weinstein explained with a dramatic flair. "Jimmy Page's lawyer... Maybe he works for Satan? Maybe he is Satan?"

Undeterred, Weinstein asked Hillary Clinton if she could lend her considerable diplomatic skills to the cause. She didn't think that she'd be the best person to talk Led Zeppelin into reforming, so she recruited her husband Bill.

Former President Bill Clinton took up the cause. "Bill talked to the group and Jimmy told him no," Weinstein said with barely concealed rage.

Still, he wasn't ready to give up just yet. As a last ditch effort, Weinstein asked President Barack Obama for help. Unfortunately, getting Jimmy Page to raise money for hurricane relief isn't quite as easy as tracking down Osama Bin Laden.

"Jimmy Page struck out Obama and Bill Clinton," Weinstein sighed. "That will live on in infamy."

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/09/09/12-12-12-tiff-harvey-weinstein_n_3891442.html

'12.12.12' TIFF: Harvey Weinstein Savages Jimmy Page, Reveals Stunning Kristen Stewart Secret At Rock Doc Premiere

HuffPost Canada Music | By Sarah Kurchak

Posted: 09/09/2013 1:10 pm EDT | Updated: 09/09/2013 1:52 pm EDT

Music and film fans may have come to the Toronto International Film Festival's world premiere of "12.12.12" for the documentary's flashy mix of live performances and backstage footage from the star-studded Hurricane Sandy benefit concert at Madison Square Gardens, but they stayed for the post-screening gossip.

That's not necessarily a slight against the film itself, which was chock full of stunning footage of performances from concert stars like Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, The Who, The Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney -- and the remaining members of Nirvana, who get a surprisingly passing mention -- and augmented with a number of delightful and often unexpected backstage moments.

Paul McCartney's efforts to convince Alicia Keys that he's as cool as his daughter Stella are particularly amusing. And Chris Martin's stunned delight when Michael Stipe says that he wants him to sing along to "Losing My Religion" during the performance is almost enough to obliterate any Coldplay and/or GOOP-related stigma the singer has accrued over the years.

But nothing came close to torrent of named names and unbridled bitterness that the concert promoter and Hollywood bigwig Harvey Weinstein dished in the post-screening Q&A with his fellow event organizers James Dolan and John Sykes and doc producers Amir Bar-Lev and Meghan O’Hara. Some of the things that Weinstein willingly shared with the sold-out crowd at Toronto's Wintergarden Theatre left Bar-Lev, the film's director, visibly stunned at some of the things he'd missed while he was filming the event.

First of all, Weinstein gleefully confessed that he'd platonically whored out "Twilight" star Kristen Stewart for charity funds. Apparently the "Prince of an Arabian country" was offering to pay top dollar for a fifteen minute chat with the chronically awkward actress.

Weinstein called Stewart and filled her in on the situation. "She said 'How much?' My kind of girl," he quipped. The mogul and the prince were eventually able to agree to a $500 000 donation. In cash. The prince, Stewart and a number of body guards enjoyed a lovely fifteen minutes together during the concert.

Weinstein was even more forthcoming, not to mention venomous, when a member of the audience asked if they'd asked Led Zeppelin to play the concert.

As it turns out, they had. Weinstein was convinced that an appearance from the band's remaining members could significantly increase the amount of money that the benefit could earn for victims of the hurricane. So he approached Robert Plant.

"We get an OK from Plant if Page will do it... Jimmy Page doesn't want to do it," Weinstein explained with a dramatic flair. "Jimmy Page's lawyer... Maybe he works for Satan? Maybe he is Satan?"

Undeterred, Weinstein asked Hillary Clinton if she could lend her considerable diplomatic skills to the cause. She didn't think that she'd be the best person to talk Led Zeppelin into reforming, so she recruited her husband Bill.

Former President Bill Clinton took up the cause. "Bill talked to the group and Jimmy told him no," Weinstein said with barely concealed rage.

Still, he wasn't ready to give up just yet. As a last ditch effort, Weinstein asked President Barack Obama for help. Unfortunately, getting Jimmy Page to raise money for hurricane relief isn't quite as easy as tracking down Osama Bin Laden.

"Jimmy Page struck out Obama and Bill Clinton," Weinstein sighed. "That will live on in infamy."

Okay, I get that Harvey Weinstein was disappointed that Led Zeppelin wouldn't perform for the Hurricane Sandy concert. I can even understand his anger with Jimmy Page since he was the one who said no. But why slam Page's lawyer? President Obama asked Page, Plant and Jones directly. What did Weinstein expect Page's lawyer to do at that point? Did I miss something in the article? Weinstein doesn't mention John Paul Jones but since his ire is focused on Page, I'm assuming that Jones was willing to perform at the concert.

This begs another question: Okay, so Page didn't want to do the concert. What stopped Plant and Jones from performing without him? Is this were Page's lawyer stepped in? Did he he refuse to allow Plant and Jones to call themselves Led Zeppelin if they performed without him?

^ Maybe what this was meant to read goes like this: "As it turns out, they had. Weinstein was convinced that an appearance from the band's remaining members could significantly increase the amount of money that could benefit Weinstein&Co's wallet from this documentary." "Venomous" "Barely concealed rage" - Maybe Weinstein&Co is Satan? WTF.

I thought Led Zeppelin went to Washington to be honored, not to be badgered by Hollywood turds and former Presidents to reunite. Aside from the "Stairway To Heaven" performance, their 'honoring' of Led Zeppelin was rather embarrassing, in my opinion.

Hi DD,

Jimmy's lawyer could only act on instructions from his client. Also, I found the bit attacking the lawyer to be childish. Saying that 'maybe he works for Satan; maybe he is Satan' is not worthy of someone of Mr Weinstein's supposed calibre. At the end of the day, LZ were well out of it - and by saying that, I do not mean to be disrespectful to the victims of Hurricane Sandy.

Okay, I get that Harvey Weinstein was disappointed that Led Zeppelin wouldn't perform for the Hurricane Sandy concert. I can even understand his anger with Jimmy Page since he was the one who said no. But why slam Page's lawyer? President Obama asked Page, Plant and Jones directly. What did Weinstein expect Page's lawyer to do at that point? Did I miss something in the article? Weinstein doesn't mention John Paul Jones but since his ire is focused on Page, I'm assuming that Jones was willing to perform at the concert.

This begs another question: Okay, so Page didn't want to do the concert. What stopped Plant and Jones from performing without him? Is this were Page's lawyer stepped in? Did he he refuse to allow Plant and Jones to call themselves Led Zeppelin if they performed without him?

Hi DD,

Jimmy's lawyer could only act on instructions from his client. Also, I found the bit attacking the lawyer to be childish. Saying that 'maybe he works for Satan; maybe he is Satan' is not worthy of someone of Mr Weinstein's supposed calibre. At the end of the day, LZ were well out of it - and by saying that, I do not mean to be disrespectful to the victims of Hurricane Sandy.

Given that Page hasn't performed publicly that much during the past decade, Weinstein shouldn't have been surprised that he said no. His vitriol seems uncalled for given the circumstances.

As a last ditch effort, Weinstein asked President Barack Obama for help. Unfortunately, getting Jimmy Page to raise money for hurricane relief isn't quite as easy as tracking down Osama Bin Laden.

I guess that No, really means No, when James Patrick Page is speaking.

Harvey Weinstein is supposed to be one of the world's most successful film producers - therefore, he could have signed a massive cheque from his own finances instead of asking the hard-pressed members of the public to contribute. People like him cover themselves in glory by organising these events, but look to those on ordinary incomes to provide donations.

Do you honestly think anyone on the planet would consider Robert Plant and John Paul Jones performing together "Led Zeppelin" WITHOUT JIMMY PAGE?

Jones / Plant? sure. great. why not?...

But they would never call it Led Zeppelin without Jimmy.

I guess that No, really means No, when James Patrick Page is speaking.

Well perhaps JP is not a fan of Obama or even Bubba either as he tried to persuade the remaining members of LZ as well. It's always been about doing things on their own terms and not someone else's, when LZ is involved. Weinstein seems like an ass anyway.

Well, at least HW made one thing clear:He's not a LZ fan, otherwise he would not have ranted that way.

Funny, I was thinking just the opposite. Harvey Weinstein is in his early sixties. He's old enough to have purchased Led Zeppelin's debut album when it was first released. Perhaps LZ was one of his favorite bands during the 70's and that's why he took Page's refusal so personally. Of course, this is all speculation on my part.

Funny, I was thinking just the opposite. Harvey Weinstein is in his early sixties. He's old enough to have purchased Led Zeppelin's debut album when it was first released. Perhaps LZ was one of his favorite bands during the 70's and that's why he took Page's refusal so personally. Of course, this is all speculation on my part.

IMO, Nothing was taken personal!

Harvey knows how to gain publicity for a movie!

:Thinking:

That is all his statement was, publicity milking!

How better to get every news outlet in the world to publicize 12/12/12 than to trash Jimmy Page in this wonderful good vs evil tale?

He spins an amazing tale of how even Bill Clinton or Barak Obama could NOT reunite the greatest band in the world for a noble cause!

And sparking more occult related rumors of Jimmy retaining Satan himself :wtf: ....as his lawyer!!!

:hysterical:

Mr. Weinstein is no fool! All the major news outlets ran it!

Huffington Post headlined it... All the baby boomers will buy 12/12/12 to see what all the fuss is!

:rolleyes:

If he were a fan familiar with their history he'd realize that after two reunion events they were none too happy with (Live Aid and Atlantic 40th) and all the rehearsal time prior to the 02 show they just don't snap their fingers and regroup for the sake of charity.He might be a soi disant fan, but more than that, he's an attention seeker.

Edited for spelling mistake

IMO, Nothing was taken personal!

Harvey knows how to gain publicity for a movie!

:Thinking:

That is all his statement was, publicity milking!

How better to get every news outlet in the world to publicize 12/12/12 than to trash Jimmy Page in this wonderful good vs evil tale?

He spins an amazing tale of how even Bill Clinton or Barak Obama could NOT reunite the greatest band in the world for a noble cause!

And sparking more occult related rumors of Jimmy retaining Satan himself :wtf: ....as his lawyer!!!

:hysterical:

Mr. Weinstein is no fool! All the major news outlets ran it!

Huffington Post headlined it... All the baby boomers will buy 12/12/12 to see what all the fuss is!

:rolleyes:

You and DropDown are both probably right about Mr. Weinstein's motives.

I think Jimmy made the right the decision on this. For a Zep reunion, I think it should be all out and not just a short set of hits. As much as I want to see this, there is just too much involved with getting this to happen with promoters, agents and lawyers as every band member's situation on is different from the rest. Robert himself, commented about this about the O2 show with all the lawyers and paperwork on that. It wasn't to his chagrin, but did what he had to do to make it work...and it did to the ultimate!

I really, wanted Zeppelin to perform at this benefit, since I live in the NYC area and was directly affected by the wrath of Hurricane Sandy. I was a bit inland, but many I know in my town on the shoreline were not so fortunate. They call it Superstorm Sandy as technically it lost some of its' hurricane characteristics, but not really as its' destruction was over a much wider area than a hurricane would be. Perhaps, this stuff would be better for the Weather Thread over on RO.

Anyway, I think JP was right. If they were doing a full set, that would be different. Just too much to do (make it work) for just a 20 or so minute set, even though the other artists did it. Perhaps, there will be another time for this. My feeling.....it will happen at least once more! But, it's not up to me. I hope the Zeppelin Gods are with us! :thumbsup::angel::godfather:

The ARMS Concerts

Live Aid

Casa Jimmy

Net Aid

Willie and The Poor Boys

The ABC Trust

The Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund

and on and on.... I barely scratched the surface of the charity work Jimmy has done over the years.

... and he has to listen to this a**hole call him out for saying NO ONCE!!

Rock legend Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin became a founding patron of the ABC Trust in 1997 and was awarded the OBE in June 2005 for his charity work with Brazilian children.

Over the years, Jimmy has been supporting the ABC in a number of ways, including donating especially signed items, participating in ABC Riffathon events and raising funds through concerts. The Led Zeppelin concert at the O2 in Greenwich 2007 raised over £100,000 for the ABC Trust.

Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page has been honored by Queen Elizabeth II — but the award was for his work with poor Brazilian children rather than his music. The 61-year-old rocker went to Buckingham Palace on Wednesday to receive an Officer of the Order of the British Empire, or OBE, from the queen. Page said he was overwhelmed to be given the accolade, recalling how he first became involved with Brazilian children in 1994 when fighting broke out among street gangs while he was in Rio de Janeiro promoting an album. "At that time in Rio the sun wasn't shining. The army was going into the favelas (shantytowns) and I heard about the plight of the street children," he told reporters.

Page joined forces with British charity Task Brazil and set up a safe house, which has supported more than 300 children. Task Brazil offers medical and psychological support, food, clothing and job training. "I think when you're faced with a plight that's inescapable, and there's something you can do about it, you hope you can make a difference," Page said. Page was a member of the '60s band The Yardbirds before helping found Led Zeppelin.

Very good post, The Chase :bravo: . I had forgotten about some of the fundraising projects Jimmy has been involved with over the years. To me, the way Weinstein chose such a very public setting in which to attack Jimmy was bloody annoying.

The ARMS Concerts

Live Aid

Casa Jimmy

Net Aid

Willie and The Poor Boys

The ABC Trust

and on and on.... I barely scratched the surface of the charity work Jimmy has done over the years.

... and he has to listen to this a**hole call him out for saying NO ONCE!!

Rock legend Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin became a founding patron of the ABC Trust in 1997 and was awarded the OBE in June 2005 for his charity work with Brazilian children.

Over the years, Jimmy has been supporting the ABC in a number of ways, including donating especially signed items, participating in ABC Riffathon events and raising funds through concerts. The Led Zeppelin concert at the O2 in Greenwich 2007 raised over £100,000 for the ABC Trust.

Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page has been honored by Queen Elizabeth II — but the award was for his work with poor Brazilian children rather than his music. The 61-year-old rocker went to Buckingham Palace on Wednesday to receive an Officer of the Order of the British Empire, or OBE, from the queen. Page said he was overwhelmed to be given the accolade, recalling how he first became involved with Brazilian children in 1994 when fighting broke out among street gangs while he was in Rio de Janeiro promoting an album. "At that time in Rio the sun wasn't shining. The army was going into the favelas (shantytowns) and I heard about the plight of the street children," he told reporters.

Page joined forces with British charity Task Brazil and set up a safe house, which has supported more than 300 children. Task Brazil offers medical and psychological support, food, clothing and job training. "I think when you're faced with a plight that's inescapable, and there's something you can do about it, you hope you can make a difference," Page said. Page was a member of the '60s band The Yardbirds before helping found Led Zeppelin.

The ARMS Concerts

Live Aid

Casa Jimmy

Net Aid

Willie and The Poor Boys

The ABC Trust

I know, it is too bad someone of stature couldn't publicly defend Jimmy by posting exactly what you have wrote!

Weinstein needs to be called out on this one!

The Kennedy Center Honors event was Dec. 2, when Weinstein, Clinton, and Obama cornered the Zeppelin gents and tried to strong-arm them into doing a HUGE benefit show at Madison Square Garden...in 10 days.

Were they crazy? Seriously?

Jimmy should have rightly not only said no...he should have laughed right in their faces.

10 days to put a Led Zeppelin reunion together? Dream on, guys...and next time, if you want to try and get Zeppelin, give them a few months notice for fuck's sake.

Archived