Ginger Baker trashes Bonzo/Moonie....

i saw the 'beware mr baker' film a little while ago. i'm not a cream fan or baker follower, but i knew it would be an entertaining film, which it is. however, a lot of his put downs of other drummers in it are just silly and not worth too much attention other than in a "what a character" type of observation.

he attacks his filmer at the end, hits him in the face with his walking stick and shouts that he's going to kill him. interesting character, but not really a full ticket, at least when a camera is on him, at other times who knows, but from some of the comments from the interviewees it seems that maybe his general demeanor

And let's not forget that Plant has made plenty of pithy comments of a dismissive and derisory nature directed at musicians who he feels are beneath him. By all accounts - Robert can be a bit of a bitch when he wants to :lol:

David Coverdale isn't the only one? Who else has been on Plant's sh*t list over the years?

Maybe Robert has said some nasty things, sarcastically or not, about Coverdale and some others over the years. But they were artists still out there and able to speak for themselves in rebuttal. But, speaking negatively about a guy who passed away over 30 years now just isnt necessary unless you're just a dick! My opinion, of course.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2013/may/15/ginger-baker-beware-mr-baker-interview

A general all-round nasty piece of work. It's no wonder he was in a band with Jack Bruce - two peas in a pod.
Apparently just about everybody he's worked with has been rubbish, according to him.

He only ever surfaces to do this sort of thing when the cash is running low. Given his attitude I'm surprised anyone would actually want to work with him.

The only thing I could find on Plant dissing other artists was this piece from Digital Spy, 21 Jan. 2008:

Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant has complained about Radiohead and Red Hot Chili Peppers after hearing their records in a North London bar.

Music by the two rocks acts was played at Camden's Fifty Five Bar, prompting Plant to complain and request they play '60s psychedelia star Captain Beefheart instead, according to The Sun.

"He was drinking with a woman and didn’t like the choice of tunes playing," said a source. "Radiohead was on and he started complaining. He said, ‘What’s this rhyming cr*p?'

"The staff were obviously keen to please him so they changed the music. They put on the Red Hot Chili Peppers, who they thought might be more up his street.

"But he didn’t like their stuff either and said it was like a ‘nursery rhyme'. He then said he wanted to listen to Captain Beefheart."

The only thing I could find on Plant dissing other artists was this piece from Digital Spy, 21 Jan. 2008:

Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant has complained about Radiohead and Red Hot Chili Peppers after hearing their records in a North London bar.

Music by the two rocks acts was played at Camden's Fifty Five Bar, prompting Plant to complain and request they play '60s psychedelia star Captain Beefheart instead, according to The Sun.

"He was drinking with a woman and didn’t like the choice of tunes playing," said a source. "Radiohead was on and he started complaining. He said, ‘What’s this rhyming cr*p?'

"The staff were obviously keen to please him so they changed the music. They put on the Red Hot Chili Peppers, who they thought might be more up his street.

"But he didn’t like their stuff either and said it was like a ‘nursery rhyme'. He then said he wanted to listen to Captain Beefheart."

He's spot on when it comes to shity music, Radiohead and Red Hot are mediocre bands... Bubblegum shit.

His eyes though - they look bewildered, like he's not sure where he is or why. I couldn't watch the whole thing, the man is clearly suffering on some level, no matter how sassy or twattish his comments may seem. I prefer to just listen to his drumming and admire that. He was (is?) an incredible musician. Mad as a mongoose though.

Physically, Ginger Baker looks surprisingly good when you consider the life he has led.

As much as I like Bonzo. Ginger doesn't need to suck on anything he pisses all over him.

The only thing Ginger pisses on his himself. It's not really rational to compare these two other than someone desperate for accolade, and bitter his talent has not gotten enough recognition. Great drummer, but he did not exactly change the world, and no one is going to miss him.

They're completely different players... with very different styles.

Ginger Baker couldn't play Sick Again or In My Time Of Dying if his life depended on it.

It's not in his skill set.

To be fair John Bonham would have had problems with some of Baker's stuff too..

I came away from watching that Documentary kind of liking him..

There's no holding back.

As much as I like Bonzo. Ginger doesn't need to suck on anything he pisses all over him.

JTM, you have a right to your opinion...but I think you're "taking a piss".

I leave with this:

John Bonham was the ultimate "all around" rock drummer.

He had the unique combination of feel for a song (never overplaying or underplaying),

finesse, dynamics, musicality, power, technique, signature triplets, a right foot like nobody's business, relentless groove and swing - and last but not least - the most identifiable drum "sound" in rock music. He was a bass players dream and JPJ's is very fortunate to have shared duties with him.

Edited by Rock Historian

• 4 weeks later...

Truly a great drummer, he and Moon really made it possible for the drummer to be a star. But, jeez, what a kook! He basically destroyed every band he was ever in. I heard that he and Jack Bruce (another great player with a reputation for being very hard to get along with) got into a fist fight RIGHT ON STAGE! That was the last straw for Clapton and Cream.

he is always putting down other musicians, he put down Black Sabbath I believe, Tony Iommi had mentioned him to Rick Rubin for the album 13, but Rick said no, and went with Brad Wilk instead, thank God.

Hi

It was the other way around..

It was Rick Rubin's idea. Tony Iommi didn't think it would work out.

Hi there Chase, hope all is well with you, I heard different over at the Sabbath forum, I heard it was Rick who turned down the Idea, but hey I could be wrong.

Hi

It was the other way around..

It was Rick Rubin's idea. Tony Iommi didn't think it would work out.

Truly a great drummer, he and Moon really made it possible for the drummer to be a star. But, jeez, what a kook! He basically destroyed every band he was ever in. I heard that he and Jack Bruce (another great player with a reputation for being very hard to get along with) got into a fist fight RIGHT ON STAGE! That was the last straw for Clapton and Cream.

To add to the above, I've read that he and Bruce used to deliberately sabotage one another's gear before concerts. How unprofessional can you get!

Hi there Chase, hope all is well with you, I heard different over at the Sabbath forum, I heard it was Rick who turned down the Idea, but hey I could be wrong.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-21024-iommi_bloody_iommi.html

i wasn't sure till i read this the other day,,

Edited by the chase

Thanks for the article Chase, I thought it was Iommi that had suggested Ginger Baker, guess I was wrong. Thank you for pointing that out to me.

I hope Black Sabbath does release a new album, this time with Bill Ward, hopefully they could overcome their differences. No one comes close to Bill when it comes to Sabbath.

Just as no one comes close to John Bonham when it comes to Zeppelin, not even Jason, though he did a great job for the reunion, I guess that is why Zeppelin never reformed and released a new album, despite Page and Jones wanting to.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-21024-iommi_bloody_iommi.html

i wasn't sure till i read this the other day,,