Jump to content

Ginger Baker trashes Bonzo/Moonie....


Recommended Posts

On 9/19/2020 at 7:50 AM, porgie66 said:

Absolute rubbish. Baker , a jazz player ??? Gimme a break. Swing is paramount , and Ginger couldn't fucking swing. Jazz player...LOL. Bonham had way more finesse, swing ( ironically ), a beautiful sound, incredible funk and feel, and his hands were way more developed than Ginger's single stroke takka takka takka chops. Bonzo played more interesting, and technically demanding combinations of rudiments and ideas than Baker. I just can't abide this nonsense about Ginger over Bonham.  He was a huge influence no doubt, but nowhere near Bonzo's abilities. 

I think we all need to defer to George because a) He knows his shit and b) He is a fucking awesome drummer in his own right and people need to watch his Youtube videos as proof. They are flawless replications of Bonzo's drumming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, morningson said:

I think we all need to defer to George because a) He knows his shit and b) He is a fucking awesome drummer in his own right and people need to watch his Youtube videos as proof. They are flawless replications of Bonzo's drumming.

Bingo!

This thread is about drumming and who's opinion is expert? A drummer! The man knows his stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RainbowElf said:

No Bill Ward fans?

Ward always seems to fly under the radar even though he was maybe the most defined "power drummer" of the era. I guess when your peers are Bonham, Moon, Baker, Appice, Palmer, and the lot, it's hard to get the recognition you deserve.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Ward always seems to fly under the radar even though he was maybe the most defined "power drummer" of the era. I guess when your peers are Bonham, Moon, Baker, Appice, Palmer, and the lot, it's hard to get the recognition you deserve.

Thank you Gibsonfan! My three favorite drummers, are Bonham, Ward, and Powell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Ward always seems to fly under the radar even though he was maybe the most defined "power drummer" of the era. I guess when your peers are Bonham, Moon, Baker, Appice, Palmer, and the lot, it's hard to get the recognition you deserve.

Bill Ward is not a power drummer but he deserves to be reckoned with the likes of Bonham and others because he was an incredibly imaginative drummer. His beats are as important to Sabbaths music as Iommi's riffs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, hummingbird69 said:

Bill Ward is not a power drummer but he deserves to be reckoned with the likes of Bonham and others because he was an incredibly imaginative drummer. His beats are as important to Sabbaths music as Iommi's riffs. 

Sorry, I was using the term to define the heavy hitting style, not the usual power drummer definition.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

Bill Ward is not a power drummer but he deserves to be reckoned with the likes of Bonham and others because he was an incredibly imaginative drummer. His beats are as important to Sabbaths music as Iommi's riffs. 

Exactly, thank you,

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...