Overrated

ListenToThis

36 minutes ago, blooze said:

Just go to the solo post-bow. Incredibly sloppy. Bending out of tune and everything. He's additionally doing that thing where his picking hand is just going at any string within reach. Not much accuracy I'm afraid. Find similar playing in the GTBT and BD solos. I will admit that the muddy tone will help a lot of the sloppy playing to pass by unnoticed. But if he was using his 1975 setup, the general public would have picked up on it much more easily. 

I will concede that he does do a lot of playing it safe though compared to other shows during the Zeppelin era, which might have been a good idea.

When you turn 63 I would like to see a video of you playing these songs live

21 minutes ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

When you turn 63 I would like to see a video of you playing these songs live

Of course. But that doesn't mean that it's great precision playing or anything. It's fine to enjoy the O2 show but to say that Jimmy is sloppy shouldn't be a controversial statement. 

I thought Page was solid at the O2 show.

Given the expectation and car crashes at Live Aid and the Atlantic reunion, I was more relieved than ecstatic about his O2 playing.

I watch Kashmir, GTBT and For your life from that concert, but the rest is just inferior to the 70s live versions.

2 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

I thought Page was solid at the O2 show.

Given the expectation and car crashes at Live Aid and the Atlantic reunion, I was more relieved than ecstatic about his O2 playing.

I watch Kashmir, GTBT and For your life from that concert, but the rest is just inferior to the 70s live versions.

I agree in the sense that it is much better than both Live Aid and Atlantic for sure

5 hours ago, blooze said:

Just go to the solo post-bow. Incredibly sloppy. Bending out of tune and everything. He's additionally doing that thing where his picking hand is just going at any string within reach. Not much accuracy I'm afraid. Find similar playing in the GTBT and BD solos. I will admit that the muddy tone will help a lot of the sloppy playing to pass by unnoticed. But if he was using his 1975 setup, the general public would have picked up on it much more easily. 

I will concede that he does do a lot of playing it safe though compared to other shows during the Zeppelin era, which might have been a good idea.

I guess we will just have to disagree on this. Again, I would not call this sloppy. He flubbed a FEW notes, but not much at all and his bending out of tune here I believe is purposeful but I could be wrong. The ONLY real issue I have with this solo is Jimmy goes out of tempo with the rest of the band for about one measure about 30 seconds into the solo, other than that, he does a damn fine job.

14 hours ago, IpMan said:

The best shows of the EC run were the 18th & 23rd without a doubt, no question...end of story. Everyone is hot and on for both of these shows.

Figures that the two best shows were two of the ones that haven't had the video come out yet. In fact, when it comes to filmed/videotaped shows, Zeppelin seems to have bad luck. Apart from Royal Albert Hall, every concert with video/film is at least decent (with the exceptions of the second Knebworth show and possibly Seattle) but pales in comparison to other shows from that year. MSG 73 is good stuff, but is nothing compared to the Euro tour from earlier in the year. Earls Court has some highlights but isn't as powerful as, say, Seattle or the 2nd Long Beach show. And Knebworth isn't as good as Copenhagen. Oh well, I guess we should be happy with what we have!

Archived