So...

redrum

I don’t think that anyone should ever forget, so here is my response (before it disappears again):

I have always been interested in reading and watching about WWII. I think that some of the worst atrocities were those committed by Dr. Mengele at Auschwitz. I was also lucky to get my hands on a rare out-of-print book written by a female Jewish physician who was forced to work alongside Dr. Mengele at Auschwitz and it was shocking. I am surprised that, despite the fact that so many knew where he was, he was allowed to live a long life and die of natural causes. I still also find it amazing that this all occurred so recently.

The best documentary that I have seen is the two-part Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. There is a lot of unseen footage and some colorized videos. Also, A&E aired two documentaries about Hitler’s drug use and use of the occult in making political and wartime decisions. It is amazing that such a character was able to get the German people to follow him so easily. I guess it just shows how desperate the German people were at that time.

History is full of so much race- and religion-based violence (slavery, the Inquisition, etc.). It’s a shame that people cannot see the problem with this.

I don’t think that anyone should ever forget, so here is my response (before it disappears again):

I have always been interested in reading and watching about WWII. I think that some of the worst atrocities were those committed by Dr. Mengele at Auschwitz. I was also lucky to get my hands on a rare out-of-print book written by a female Jewish physician who was forced to work alongside Dr. Mengele at Auschwitz and it was shocking. I am surprised that, despite the fact that so many knew where he was, he was allowed to live a long life and die of natural causes. I still also find it amazing that this all occurred so recently.

The best documentary that I have seen is the two-part Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. There is a lot of unseen footage and some colorized videos. Also, A&E aired two documentaries about Hitler’s drug use and use of the occult in making political and wartime decisions. It is amazing that such a character was able to get the German people to follow him so easily. I guess it just shows how desperate the German people were at that time.

History is full of so much race- and religion-based violence (slavery, the Inquisition, etc.). It’s a shame that people cannot see the problem with this.

That was why I mentioned the book '186 Steps.' Their brutality was spread far and wide and even though I'm not religious by any means I truly believe that God was not going to allow these monsters to take over the world. Same goes for communism.

My grandfather got to meet, more than a few of those bastards. He landed in France on day 4 (lucky for my father and I or we may have never existed ) and made it all the way to Eagles Nest.

Thank god for the allies, and to hell with those Nazi scum bags.

Thanks for that book mention. I am going to try to find that for my next read.

Their brutality is still felt today and definitely still has an impact in the form of pro-Nazi groups all over the world. And Hitler's intent was to create his own religion. Such an inflated ego for a small and small-minded man.

My grandfather got to meet, more than a few of those bastards. He landed in France on day 4 (lucky for my father and I or we may have never existed ) and made it all the way to Eagles Nest.

Thank god for the allies, and to hell with those Nazi scum bags.

He was definitely in the Band Of Brothers. That was a great series.

I know that Spielberg's heart is in the right place with 'Saving Private Ryan' and 'Schindler's List' but no one could ever show the depraved cruelties they did to people. When Heydrich was assassinated the Nazi's killed over a million Czechs in reprisals.

The rock quarry at Mauthausen where prisoners were forced to hold hands and jump from the top. The Nazi's called it 'parachuting' and it was entertainment for Himmler and the like.

post-503-0-76100000-1375057341_thumb.jpg

redrum, i didn't see the other thread.

we should not ever forget this stuff.

humans - we need help. :(

i haven't read very much on this topic, i have watched a few docos and movies etc

one book i read about a year ago, was some short stories written by jewish people that were children at the time of the war.

just amazingly horrific things they endured.

it is called " SURVIVORS - true stories of children of the holocaust "

Thanks for that book mention. I am going to try to find that for my next read.

Their brutality is still felt today and definitely still has an impact in the form of pro-Nazi groups all over the world. And Hitler's intent was to create his own religion. Such an inflated ego for a small and small-minded man.

I got the book through an inter-library loan. It's fairly long but mesmerizing.

redrum, i didn't see the other thread.

we should not ever forget this stuff.

humans - we need help. :(

i haven't read very much on this topic, i have watched a few docos and movies etc

one book i read about a year ago, was some short stories written by jewish people that were children at the time of the war.

just amazingly horrific things they endured.

it is called " SURVIVORS - true stories of children of the holocaust "

I didn't see it either. :^)

It's a subject I've been interested in since the early 70's after watching the WW2 show on PBS narrated by Laurence Olivier.

There are endless stories for sure. Keep posting.

Um, I'm just as fascinated by WWII and the rise and fall of the Third Reich as anyone else, so I am curious what makes you think we are in danger of forgetting the Nazis?

There are documentaries every year like clockwork on the Nazis, WWII and the Holocaust. The History Channel is known colloquially as The Hitler Channel for the prevalence of Nazi documentaries they air. The bookshelves of the world groan under the collective weight of Nazi scholarship.

It is impossible to forget about the Nazis because they never go away.

We all know the atrocities that the Nazis did but I find we don't know much about the crimes committed by the allies - Stalin's ghettos and the US's shooting of prisoners of war, for example. I just find that it would be fair if we all know what both sides did rather than following the "winner is right" trend.

Um, I'm just as fascinated by WWII and the rise and fall of the Third Reich as anyone else, so I am curious what makes you think we are in danger of forgetting the Nazis?

There are documentaries every year like clockwork on the Nazis, WWII and the Holocaust. The History Channel is known colloquially as The Hitler Channel for the prevalence of Nazi documentaries they air. The bookshelves of the world groan under the collective weight of Nazi scholarship.

You're correct, as usual, Strider.

Only folks who burned their brains out with taking too much acid in the 60's are worried about this!

all i meant was ' lest we forget "

it's 70 years ago .... nearly all the survivors are gone ....

So why did they remove the thread?

You must mean the military channel (which I don't get) because it seems the so called history channel doesn't have much to do with history anymore as they've jumped on the reality show bandwagon.

So why did they remove the thread?

You must mean the military channel (which I don't get) because it seems the so called history channel doesn't have much to do with history anymore as they've jumped on the reality show bandwagon.

The History Channel has two different channels one is called Military History channel it has plenty of stuff on World War Two. I watch the Military History Channel everyday now that I found it.

We all know the atrocities that the Nazis did but I find we don't know much about the crimes committed by the allies - Stalin's ghettos and the US's shooting of prisoners of war, for example. I just find that it would be fair if we all know what both sides did rather than following the "winner is right" trend.

Well, maybe Stalin for sure. As for the U.S. shooting prisoners, you have to think of the times back then. Like the crew member of the Enola Gay said: 'We just wanted to kill the bastards!'

Personally, my feelings are an eye for an eye for all the people and soldiers killed or brutalized by the Nazi's and Japs. Malmedy and The Philippines being just a few examples. But just remember how many prisoners were taken and treated humanely compared to those brutes. The Germans also absolutely refused to surrender to the Russians. Gee, I wonder why??

but let's not "forget" about Hiroshima and Nagasaki then.

I have no sympathy for them. They brought it upon themselves for their dirty deeds over a 15 year period.

Funny though, we turned them into a great country afterwards along with Germany. Russia is still in the tank.

Archived