How many are we?

lololabrute

I've never bought a bootleg before. Everything I have are downloads. The only boots I own are EVSD's 'In the Court of King James', and The Godfatherecord's 'Conquering Kingdome', and those were both gifts mailed to me by friends in the Zep community.

I'm against bootleggers profiting off Zeppelin's shows. They should be distributed freely on the internet, so I've never really bought a bootleg, and I have a huge colection of Guns N Roses and Led Zeppelin bootlegs.

I have had one silver, the Led Zeppelin II Multitracks. I held on to it for a while and then passed it on. I have over 250 downloaded shows/outtakes/studio stuff and 70 live cassettes. I also have 26 dvd boots. My total Zeppelin collection is around 300 gigabytes.

I can understand why people would want to collect silvers, they're way cool to have. Personally I never use a cd player (other than in the car) and I don't see myself spending a considerable amount of money on something that's just going to sit on a shelf. Major props to the people who go through the time to share their silvers and digitize tapes though.

I used to trade LZ bootlegs with people throughout the world back in the 1990's when ZOSO magazine was still around. People would send me their lists and I would send them mine. Trade for trade, however, this was trading bootlegs by taping cds onto cassette and sending them off and then receiving them in the mail. It was a good way to get shows that you (I) did not have at that time (and remember back then there were not as many bootlegs as there are now).

I probably traded and received around 50+ bootlegs on cassette and I probably had around the same number of Led Zeppelin bootlegs on compact disc (that I had to offer). The passing of time and other factors included, I have about two dozens of those cassettes remaining. The same goes for my bootlegs cds. I have about 30+ live Led Zeppelin on compact discs. I still have the final Led Zeppelin bootlegs, Final Touch and Last Stand, a soundboard of LZ in Berlin, Germany on July 7, 1980.

Those times bring up great memories for me.

I own three silvers, one I bought from Howard mylett in the early 90s and I have two godfather box sets ,but everything els is download ,boot prices are to silly to pay IMO unless your minted and desparate to own copies of them.

Silvers were the reason I bought a CD Player in 1990. During the protection Gap period, these CD popped up in regular CD stores and after 10 years of ( relatively speaking)radio silence regarding my love for the band (I became a fan in 1973). During the nineties I collected around 200 titles: silver rarities, tarantura, flying disc, toasted condor, Scorpio, Empress, ... You name it. Spend a small fortune on these elusive disks

In the meanwhile I sold most of them and kept my most precious ones ( around 50 titles, rough guesstimate)

my favourite shows are too Dear to just keept them as a digital files stored on an extrernal hard disk...that's why I keep buying silvers from time to time.

I still buy silvers on occasion and have a nice collection of rarities. I know some of the most prolific collectors in the world and they have some awesome stuff. I grew up with silvers and cassette trades - that was the only way to do it back then. I won't turn my back on such great memories.

I'm not sure whether or not this site is truly representative.

The sheer proliferation of Zeppelin material, both online and physically, should make it quite clear that we are a fairly large group of people. A diverse group, too...I myself mostly go in for downloads, but do have a growing collection of silver CDs. I think I'm up to twenty-three with my latest purchase -- all EVSD.

I bought bootleg records (of many bands) in the 70s, mailed for cassette trades in the 80s, copied CDs in the 90s and now it's all download, maybe 50-60 Zeppelin shows. I'm not in to collecting silvers, I just want to hear more Zeppelin!

I have over 200 Zeppelin silvers, and I know a couple of guys here that have waaay more than I do... We all say that we dislike bootleggers but... how many soundboards have surfaced in the last couple of decades that didnt come from bootleg companies... and as I have said before... I'm shallow and a sucker for the lovely artwork thAt the japanese boots have... and also happy with the cheaper silvers that come from GFR or Eelgrass... Bootlegers while openly despised are a necessary evil (which until Mr. Page does something a la King Crimson or Metallica, I am very happy with)

Mainly downloads although I do have about 20 silver discs plus a few CDRs most of which I acquired before downloads were easy to find.

Not happy that the bootleggers make money out of me (or was that the guy I bought off) but if it wasn't for them and people who share we wouldn't have the downloads anyway.

Andy

How big is the zep boot community?

One of the biggest music communities in the world...full of some great people, very serious diehard collectors, but also its fair share of assholes and bullshit artists, quite possibly worse than for any other band, I'm sorry to say...

How many go for the silver CDs vs downloads?

On the rare occasion I make it to the big city and scour the markets and second hand music stores I'm not above buying the odd bootleg CD if it's something worthwhile or cheap enough :lol: Got a few on vinyl as well, for that matter, but mainly I download 'em, must have about 100 or so live Zeppelin recordings at this point, even if more than a few were of the 'listen to it once, file the CDRs someplace and then lose them' variety...

How many buy boots for collecting vs for selling?

I'm a collector, I'd never sell a recording, bootleg or otherwise...my parents taught me to share. If I hardly made a goddamn dime off of my own playing in bands back in the day, I'm certainly not gonna make money off of an established artiste...

Archived