Best Led Zeppelin covers.

coogeeboy

Okay i know that nothing can replace the originals especially where Led Zeppelin are concerned but which band or artist in your opinion does justice to LZ via a cover of one of their songs ?

I love Jeff Healy's version of Communication Breakdown & Hearts version of Rock ' n ' Roll.

In Australia there was a band called the Party Boy's who used to change line-up's frequently & they used to draw on prominent muscos like Joe Walsh, Eric Bourdon as well as Australias best as well.

Graham 'Shirley' Strachan lead singer from Skyhooks, legendary Aussie band from the 70's fronted them once & they did credible versions of the Immigrant Song & Kashmir as well as Hendrix, the Police & some blues covers.

Who has any other favourite covers of LZ stuff ?

Okay i know that nothing can replace the originals especially where Led Zeppelin are concerned but which band or artist in your opinion does justice to LZ via a cover of one of their songs ?

I love Jeff Healy's version of Communication Breakdown & Hearts version of Rock ' n ' Roll.

In Australia there was a band called the Party Boy's who used to change line-up's frequently & they used to draw on prominent muscos like Joe Walsh, Eric Bourdon as well as Australias best as well.

Graham 'Shirley' Strachan lead singer from Skyhooks, legendary Aussie band from the 70's fronted them once & they did credible versions of the Immigrant Song & Kashmir as well as Hendrix, the Police & some blues covers.

Who has any other favourite covers of LZ stuff ?

There is a cover band thats been making the rounds here in the North East. New York, Long Island. They are called believe it or not, Hammer of the Gods. They not only sound like them, but on stage look like the old Zep! They are awesome. they have a web site and cd's and I here that Page had given them his blessing. {Im not sure about that, rumor} but they are great. Get your head right and you would swear you were in a concert hall in 73 listening to the real Zep

Ann Wilson's upcoming solo album has a very good cover of "Immigrant Song" -- the arrangement is quite imaginative. Of course, you know a Wilson sister isn't going to screw up a Zeppelin song! They've been covering them for decades.

The Dixie Dregs did a decent version of Kasmir on their live album released in the late 90's. Steve Morse is a great guitarist, it just seemed odd listening to it without any vocals. The Dregs did instrumentals mostly.......

Regards;

There are good covers? Interesting. Led Zeppelin to me is one of those bands who I would prefer not have their catalogue covered. Something about not being able to come close to the original, so don't even try.

Mr. Jimmy is the best Led Zeppelin tribute. You will not be dissapointed. See my previous post.

There are good covers? Interesting. Led Zeppelin to me is one of those bands who I would prefer not have their catalogue covered. Something about not being able to come close to the original, so don't even try.

c'mon now don't be a Zeppelin snob, there are other bands then and now that can play a little ;)

Have to say that Anne Wilson's Immigrant Song is amazing, love the acousticness of it. In a previous issue of Classic Rock Magazine there was a Zeppelin covers CD free with it and standout tracks were Pig iron's cover of When The Levee Breaks, Joe Bonamassa's Tea For One (astonishing!) Gotthard's Immigrant Song and Zakk Wylde's In My Time Of Dying.

There is an artist named Kevin Gilbert, who is sadly no longer with us, and he did an incredible verison of Kashmir. Really brought something new to it, not just a straight cover. It may be available on iTunes, not sure, but if you can find it, I highly recommend it. It came as a bonus EP on a CD he did called 'Thud'. More info on Kevin at http://www.kevingilbert.com.

I'm w/ Steve ^ on some of the best covers being something new brought out of the songs. If you think of the way Zep took old blues tunes and molded/shaped them into something entirely new......that is what I like Zep covers to do as well........if you are gonna do a straight cover....well you might as well listen to the original.

There's a guy named Alvin Youngblood Hart that has taken some Zep tunes and brought them full circle....doing traditional blues versions of songs like Heartbreaker. It's really refreshing to hear them done this way. He also does NFBM, IMTOD, and the traditional Gallows Pole...which is back closer to it's original form before Zep got ahold of it.

Archived