Page's Guitar Hero Peers

McSeven

With Bonzo. His peers are basically a short list of Ginger Baker/Keith Moon/Neil Peart.

Who do you think is Pages peers?

For me in stature. I think of Clapton/Hendrix/Angus Young/Tony Iommi/Ritchie Blackmoore/Alex Lifeson.

With Bonzo. His peers are basically a short list of Ginger Baker/Keith Moon/Neil Peart.

Who do you think is Pages peers?

For me in stature. I think of Clapton/Hendrix/Angus Young/Tony Iommi/Ritchie Blackmoore/Alex Lifeson.

Jeff Beck, George Harrison, Brian May, Pete Townsand...

It depends on what you're judging. Are you judging virtuosity? Influence within his/her band? Influence on rock music as a whole? Influence as a guitar player or as a songwriter? Pete Townshend is a competent guitar player but he is a rock icon because of his songwriting and showmanship.

Hendrix, Clapton, Keef, Gilmour, Slash, EVH....I'm sure I'm forgetting somebody obvious, but these are the guys besides Page that really stick out.

Prince?? not even close. There's never been a musician get as much mileage out of one video than Prince has with the While My Guitar Gently Weeps vid from the Hall of Fame. I've watched it countless times wondering why his name always pops up in these conversations. I think alot of people are shocked that he can play guitar well. Great musician, but a pretty average guitarist by pro standards. To say that he has the stature, as a guitarist, of any of the names mentioned so far is absurd.

Prince?? not even close. There's never been a musician get as much mileage out of one video than Prince has with the While My Guitar Gently Weeps vid from the Hall of Fame. I've watched it countless times wondering why his name always pops up in these conversations. I think alot of people are shocked that he can play guitar well. Great musician, but a pretty average guitarist by pro standards. To say that he has the stature, as a guitarist, of any of the names mentioned so far is absurd.

Prince can definitely play, but he is not an iconic guitarist nor a peer of Page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYzvM1tpFY4

OMG. Sorry, most of the people mentioned are fine - even excellent - by mortal standards, but they are not nearly on the same level as Lord Page. Clapton, Beck 'n Page are often mentioned together b/c of their similar backgrounds and career paths, but Jimmy stands apart because of his production and composition genius. Beck is a virtuoso and Clapton has his pop hits - they're each special. But Jimmy is The One.

Good point!

By the way I did not classify him in the same category as Page, I classified him in the category of Children of a Lessor God.

That would be blasphemy.

One performance does not make a man. I have not even seen that clip of Prince. Like I said, see him live then you can get all judgy on me.

Okay now Im really going back to the newbies where I belong. All I wanted was to have some fun.

This thread is also in the newbies galaxy dear Raised on Zep. And anyway you belong to the whole universe, feel free to go anywhere! Also I agree Prince can be a very good guitarist in concert (I saw him at the Sziget festival in Hungary, he was on fire), but not "Jimmy-level" good, sure. He doesn't even try to be, he's Prince and has nothing to prove.

Archived