I'm growing a Zeppelin!

saltypete

post-3491-0-93431200-1375797336_thumb.jp Growing an Atlantic Giant pumpkin in Moncton,New Brunswick,Canada, that is closing in on 300 pounds that I have named "The Zeppelin". The seed, I'm fortunate to say, is from the world record smashing crazy weight pumpkin of Ron Wallace of Rhode Island @ 2009 pounds last year,whom was nice enough to send me a seed after I wrote him a nice and thoughtful letter,thank you Ron.I will post updates if anyone is interested. Rock on!

ps....forgot to mention that it put on 30 pounds since yesterday.....

Why do they grow so fast? (and big)

These are bred for size, and through some really dedicated growers, some records that were once thought nearly impossible (2000 pounds) have now been reached, although I don't think that record will be beat for a while. It takes a lot of work, you have no idea. Getting past 1000 pounds is a challenge that many growers have yet to meet. I surpassed that in my second year trying, and hoping to repeat that this year. The public interest locally is quite something.

These are bred for size, and through some really dedicated growers, some records that were once thought nearly impossible (2000 pounds) have now been reached, although I don't think that record will be beat for a while. It takes a lot of work, you have no idea. Getting past 1000 pounds is a challenge that many growers have yet to meet. I surpassed that in my second year trying, and hoping to repeat that this year. The public interest locally is quite something.

Lifting them must pose a problem. :^)

Since they're bred for size, I assume the flavor is lacking. What do you do with them once you harvest them? Do they make good animal feed? Also, do growers in the southern U.S. have better luck growing them really big since they have a longer growing season?

Since they're bred for size, I assume the flavor is lacking. What do you do with them once you harvest them? Do they make good animal feed? Also, do growers in the southern U.S. have better luck growing them really big since they have a longer growing season?

I have made a pie with the flesh once,it was okay,and it wasn't bad in any way because pumpkin pie has spices, etc that make up a lot of the taste. Most growers,who have access to more potent chemicals, especially in the States(I'm in Canada) don't eat it because of toxicity.Really hot weather is a disadvantage and a moderate growing season is better.The world record has been broken a lot in the last five years or so, and locations that come to mind are Ohio, Quebec, and Rhode Island(present record). Usually they get carved for halloween or decoration of some kind, the world record goes to New York to be put on display there, and tv shows as well. With a 2009 pound record, everything will now seem small I suppose now.

• 2 weeks later...

Now at approx. 677 pounds, this pumpkin is starting to get bloated like a Zeppelin, and I hope this one doesn't "break up". No roadies around ,only the road in the background, and if there is "time to change the road I'm on", I'm gonna need a forklift.

post-3491-0-99091100-1377257340_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

I have made a pie with the flesh once,it was okay,and it wasn't bad in any way because pumpkin pie has spices, etc that make up a lot of the taste.

Did you make a super-size pie or a standard 9 inch diameter one? Also, will the outside of your pumpkin stay that pale color or will it turn orange at some point?

Pumpkins that you want to grow really big need to be shaded so the skin is nice and soft and stretchy rather than sun-baked that will crack and weep pumpkin juice that may get infected. Later in the season I let the sun shine a little more and the skin turns a little darker. Some growers grow pumpkins that are especially orange but they don't have large characteristics....yet. It is all in the breeding.

• 3 weeks later...

Some growers have this problem but I have been lucky so far. It is sitting on sand which is a deterrent of sorts for underneath but it is true that animals could be attracted to it, but the walls are very thick and if you've ever had the experience to carve one this size, you would know they are very tough except for the blossom end or "bellybutton" which can be thinner.

Archived