Jimmy's food poisoning Chicago 1977

joeboy

I just don't get this Doctor badgely fellow. I've read that someone raided the medical supplies one night causing the doctor to fly into a rage. Just what was in this bag worth finding?

Pure speculation on my part because I wasn't there and don't know any of the players:

Mixing downers with alcohol is dangerous and at least two members of the band (Page and Bonham) were heavy drinkers. Badgely may have feared that if either man took his qualuudes along with all the booze they were drinking, they could accidentally kill themselves. That would have been very bad for him from both a professional and legal standpoint.

I just don't get this Doctor badgely fellow. I've read that someone raided the medical supplies one night causing the doctor to fly into a rage. Just what was in this bag worth finding?

IIRC Badgely freaked out because Page was stealing his 'Ludes...Page supposedly felt totally justified saying, "Who's paying his wages?!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's worth mentioning the good doctor travelled with the Stones as well (on the '72 or '75 tours, I can't remember)

I like how people still think that the reason Jimmy passed out with stomach cramps on that show wasn't heroin related. He probably mixed it with a ton of alcohol, common mistake.

Even if it was a legitimate bellyache, chances are it was drug or booze related (I doubt it could have had much to do with Page's diet :lol: ) But I suppose they had to come up with an excuse like "Gastroentritis"...what was Cole gonna say? "Sorry, folks, Jimmy just OD'd on some bad smack!" I'm sure after Keith Richards' bust in Toronto two months earlier they knew they had to be discreet about their vices when on the road.

As with the Tampa incident, it's interesting that after Page went down in Chicago at first Robert Plant told the audience, "We're gonna take a necessary five minute break." That five minutes stretched out, and turned into Richard Cole making his announcement that the show was cancelled. In Tampa Plant told the audience "We'll be back in fifteen minutes" but lo and behold they never did come back...

Why lie, Robert, knowingly or unknowingly?

• 4 weeks later...

Anything to keep a crowd sedated I suppose.

Yeah, well, you wouldn't want to make a crowd of 50.000 people mad because your buddie had just collapsed from of a bad cocktail.

I think that Nutrocker got it right, they couldn't tell the truth, especially right after Keef's bust in Canada. Something that always amazed me,

since '73, Zeppelin probably had more parties going on than the Stones, but they never got arrested or even searched by the police for dope.

they did get searched, off the top of my head, in australia(?) but obviously the LZ crew weren't a load of idiots. They didn't make it on the road partying so long by luck alone. They were big enough to hire plenty of sober people to look out for em all i guess. (not saying the band were always 4 druggies, just party animals)

Their security staff ultimately included the Dautrich brothers, both of whom were detectives with the right connections.

are those two still alive? talk about somebody with some stories to tell. wasn't one Roberts bodyguard or somethin'? Or was he Page's?

Edited by wilsoncb420

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a link to an earlier thread I started with an article about the Dautrich brothers.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/17254-starship-security-dautrich-brothers-remember-protecting-led-zeppelin/?hl=dautrich

are those two still alive? talk about somebody with some stories to tell. wasn't one Roberts bodyguard or somethin'? Or was he Page's?

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old, worn out topic but I'll ask anyway: was he sent to a hospital er? Can't imagine any hospital releasing somone who has od'd on horse, downers, coke, etc being in and back out in less than 24 hours (seems like just waiting in a doc's office takes that long, ha!). Blood chemistry to detect those drugs takes time to complete, and stabilzing the patient's cardio and respiratory system takes time as well. They also would have had to rule out appendicitis, a twisted colon, etc before food poisoning could be assumed. Whatever the ultimate cause, food poisoning would be the only condition I can think of that would justify a release from a hospital in less than 24 hours. Also doubt that Grant or Cole would not have sent him to the er even if by sending him it may have alerted authorities to the drug use. So, he must have been checked out at an emergency room and it most likely turned out to be just food poisoning.

Keep in mind they had a doctor out on the road with them...probably at least in part to deal with the kind of situation Page presented with in Chicago. I'd be willing to bet taking Page to a hospital wasn't even considered -again, no reason to potentially alert the authorities to rampant hard drug use by the band. Most more than likely if Jimmy had been in too bad of shape Dr Badgely probably would have just given him a big old shot of adrenaline ala Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction. Like I said, the "gastroentritis" was just an excuse (hell, Jimmy's diet at the time probably would have ruled it out!), just like Bonham's supposedly eating "27 bananas" causing a premature end to the 1980 Nuremburg show was an excuse. As others on the forum have stated Bonzo had been partying hard in the days leading up to the Nuremburg gig and it just caught up with him. Suffice it to say Page and Bonham's lifestyles whilst on tour weren't always conducive to good health.

I know this is an old, worn out topic but I'll ask anyway: was he sent to a hospital er? Can't imagine any hospital releasing somone who has od'd on horse, downers, coke, etc being in and back out in less than 24 hours (seems like just waiting in a doc's office takes that long, ha!). Blood chemistry to detect those drugs takes time to complete, and stabilzing the patient's cardio and respiratory system takes time as well. They also would have had to rule out appendicitis, a twisted colon, etc before food poisoning could be assumed. Whatever the ultimate cause, food poisoning would be the only condition I can think of that would justify a release from a hospital in less than 24 hours. Also doubt that Grant or Cole would not have sent him to the er even if by sending him it may have alerted authorities to the drug use. So, he must have been checked out at an emergency room and it most likely turned out to be just food poisoning.

As Nutrocker said, they had a doctor (Larry Badgely) travelling with them. If a band member ever required medical attention there were plenty of private doctors that could have been called upon.

I was at that show, but before it started I had no idea what was to come.

The Saturday night "food poisoning" show actually started out from what I can remember a very solid performance. The show had a loose feel to it, and the band seemed comfortable and in a nice groove.

I'd been to the second Chicago show in '73, all three in '75, and the first and second show in '77. This was the third performance of four, and it was, it seemed, shaping up to be another amazing experience that I felt fortunate to be able to attend.

We weren't close that night, our seats were to the left side of the stage in the mezzanine section pretty much at the other end of the old Chicago Stadium. It was a big building, so I couldn't tell what Jimmy looked like before the incident from that vantage point. But when they pulled out a chair and he sat down, I remember being pretty confused.... I recall thinking, what is he up too? Where are they in the set? He doesn't sit here does he?

They finished the number, and after that it's all a blur. Jimmy was gone, and there was a lot of confusion in the crowd. The band went off stage, but I don't remember what it looked like, or who left first. I think Robert said something, but again, everything was a blur. We speculated that maybe something pissed the band off and they left the stage.

I know Robert hated rough stuff in the crowd, fireworks, etc., so it seemed feasible that they may have seen something they didn't like and walked off.

The P.A. announcement came over, the show was over, and we filed out of the building stunned. I can't remember what the announcement was, but we were worried that something pretty bad had to have happened for a band that regularly played 3 hour sets with no warm-up act to leave in the middle of a show.

We drove home stunned, I don't remember even talking to the other guys I was with on the way home.

On top of that, I had second row main floor seats for the next night, and the possibility was there that there may or may not be another show....

But as we now know, there was. Jimmy was none the worse for wear, and the "Stormtrooper" did not disappoint. We did sit second row, and I got some great photos, one of which is being used as an avatar in this thread. And on top of that, at one point Jimmy looked down into the crowd, pointed at me and smiled because I was pointing up at him with both hands simulating the way he positioned his hands when using the theremin or sometimes held his pick, and he returned the gesture.

I'm a lucky guy, got to see two pretty historic shows back to back, and got many unbelievable memories of a band the likes of which we will never see again.....

Edited by Jetcat1

yeah jetcat that was an awesome story man! :) i think everyone here who never had the chance to see them cannot believe how amazing it must have been for someone like you to see them 6 times it was? jesus..and in 3 different eras. one question: how was When The Levee Breaks live, my good sir??

Larry Badgely and Conrad Murrey must be from the same med school......Jimmy was lucky he did'nt get the same 'bedtime milk' that Michael Jackson got from his doc.

Yikes....., reading this topic also had me thinking something along the same lines.............

Seems Jimmy was indeed lucky, with the kind of medical care (or well...., the lack of it.....) he received.

You know folks, I personally have never done drugs (I am too much of a control freak I guess, I like to stay in control of my own actions...) and I only occasionally drink.

I love Jimmy to bits as a talented musician and producer and I do somehow feel there also was a good and interesting side to Jimmy (we never are all bad right?). I always feel that the drug use and all that was such a waste of all his talent, I feel if he didn't indulge in that kind of a crazy lifestyle he could have made more and better use of his talent and musical skills......... I simply feel Jimmy was an interesting (and likely still is) person, if only he wasn't on his way to his own distruction.......

I'm glad he eventually cleaned up, he seems to be doing well now.

Maaike

I always feel that the drug use and all that was such a waste of all his talent, I feel if he didn't indulge in that kind of a crazy lifestyle he could have made more and better use of his talent and musical skills......... I simply feel Jimmy was an interesting (and likely still is) person, if only he wasn't on his way to his own distruction.......

The thing is, the same could be said of about 90% of the musicians back in the seventies. At least Page survived. What always amazes me when it comes to guys like Jimmy Page is their unrepentant stance towards their addictions when they look back in retrospect. That has to be a public front...I can't help but think that, for example, Jimmy looks back on his poor showing in the late seventies/early 80's privately and thinks, "Jesus, I really fucked up there."

yeah jetcat that was an awesome story man! :) i think everyone here who never had the chance to see them cannot believe how amazing it must have been for someone like you to see them 6 times it was? jesus..and in 3 different eras. one question: how was When The Levee Breaks live, my good sir??

Wait till you hear the shows that Strider was at lol. :yesnod:

The thing is, the same could be said of about 90% of the musicians back in the seventies. At least Page survived. What always amazes me when it comes to guys like Jimmy Page is their unrepentant stance towards their addictions when they look back in retrospect. That has to be a public front...I can't help but think that, for example, Jimmy looks back on his poor showing in the late seventies/early 80's privately and thinks, "Jesus, I really fucked up there."

Superior health care because of extreme wealth, pharmaceutical grade substances, and unusual constitutions enabled Jimmy (and Keith) to out-consume many peers and remain, if not standing, at least sitting on the drum riser for a few songs. If one reads between the lines about the Page & Plant and Page & the Black Crowes eras, Jimmy struggled through the 90s, too.

People are accountable only to those personally impacted by their addiction but I do wish Jimmy reveled less in some other aspects of his past. The Nazi storm trooper costume always makes me cringe. I've read about the source of inspiration but I never saw it as cool or sexy - only offensive.

To be clear, I'm not commenting on your your avatar. I see the white hat. I'm just thinking of the Chicago 77 shows and the mindset of someone deep in addiction not food poisoning. (For more on this, I could post Neal Preston's remarks about this night if anyone is interested.)

Superior health care because of extreme wealth, pharmaceutical grade substances, and unusual constitutions enabled Jimmy (and Keith) to out-consume many peers and remain, if not standing, at least sitting on the drum riser for a few songs. If one reads between the lines about the Page & Plant and Page & the Black Crowes eras, Jimmy struggled through the 90s, too.

People are accountable only to those personally impacted by their addiction but I do wish Jimmy reveled less in some other aspects of his past. The Nazi storm trooper costume always makes me cringe. I've read about the source of inspiration but I never saw it as cool or sexy - only offensive.

To be clear, I'm not commenting on your your avatar. I see the white hat. I'm just thinking of the Chicago 77 shows and the mindset of someone deep in addiction not food poisoning. (For more on this, I could post Neal Preston's remarks about this night if anyone is interested.)

I think your comments about how Page and other rock star addicts managed to survive their addictions are spot on. One more thing they had going for them: that they were valuable "commodities". It was in a lot of people's financial interests to keep them alive and churning out music so people looked out for them and protected them.

What inspired the Nazi storm trooper costume? I always assumed it was a deliberate attempt to shock on Page's part.

It was in a lot of people's financial interests to keep them alive and churning out music so people looked out for them and protected them.

What inspired the Nazi storm trooper costume? I always assumed it was a deliberate attempt to shock on Page's part.

Or enable them. I never subscribed to the shock theory of the stormtrooper garb. Military wear has long been incorporated into fashion and Nazi uniforms were designed and produced by Hugo Boss but I think his descent into addiction made him oblivious to revealing aspects of his private life. I'll leave it at that.

I wonder what factors caused him to go from being a diciplined, in control perfectionist, which he was so respected for and what set him apart from other pop musician to being a junkie. It seems like he was being eaten from the inside out by some kind of emotional issue(s).

I never see him as a disciplined perfectionist. I see him as an emotional, controlling, obssessive. Characteristics common in geniuses not used to insult him but as explanation for why he was able to create masterpieces in such a short amount of time.

Whatever was between them was destroyed by addiction and corruption but I don't think it activated the addiction. Being surrounded by people who only ever say yes - that might be a problem for a wealthy addict.

I think Jimmy is similar to Michael Jackson - early success, secrecy, costumes and imagery, drive, addiction, eating issues, victim mentality, masterful creative appropriation, need for control, abuse of power, even the effeminate mannerisms and voice.

All of the good and some of the bad among these things would be hard to refuse when you are young, rich, talented, and on top of the world.

• 2 weeks later...

(Whatever Jimmy's plan was that night, it worked. 04/10 is my 3rd favourite show from the first leg and despite the sound of the tape I keep it on regular rotation.).........

i would love to know your order of fave shows from 77 if you can be bothered to type them.....i may follow your preferences when playing back 77 gigs