Best of Page and Plant 1995-8 tour on video?

kayley10

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I was there and it still ranks among my Top 5 gigs.  Optimism for what Page/Plant would deliver that night and beyond was so thick you could cut it with a knife. 

That tour was great! That specific show you were at was amazing! Crazy to think how long ago that was. 

The Third Eye production from Great Western Forum in LA on May 16, 1995 is one of the best 1995 shows. Also fantastic is Boise/Idaho on October 9, 1995 - still can't believe the amazing works of Third Eye - I'd prefer their productions to all the professionell productions that were done between 1995 and 1998.
The stripped-down 1998 shows were a completly different story, compared to the monstrous "Unledded"-Shows with two orchestras. My Favorites are from University UCLL in London on October 30, 1998 (only 30minutes from the pit) and the complete show from Shepherds Bush Empire in London on March 25 1998, because they were pretty close. However, they played their asses off on each and every night during that period.

11 hours ago, jsj said:

I wish they’d release an official PP concert or best of compilation but it seems unlikely.

+1

I feel very fortunate to have been able to see some of the shows throughout those amazing years. Able to get some boots of the shows and re-live it to some extent, why they didn’t release one or more years ago is slightly strange to me.

I for some reason believe that after Robert parted ways, he was almost shedding that skin again and perhaps didn’t want to further the association or partnership and capitalize on the 5-6 years that he had just finished. All pointless speculation on my part, can’t help but think it was a missed opportunity regardless of whoever was not willing to allow it to happen.

I suppose it’s possible that Jimmy and Robert simply never talked about putting anything out for those amazing shows.

It was an amazing experience, and time and the memories of those shows are still fresh in my rapidly aging memory.

On 3/26/2024 at 2:00 AM, Plant77 said:

That tour was great! That specific show you were at was amazing! Crazy to think how long ago that was. 

Early in the concert, right between songs, Robert quipped, "The Old Devils are Back!" which was a magazine headline at the time.

The Page/Plant era now seems nearly a lifetime ago, because it was, but it's a real cornucopia of memories whenever I'm reminded of those days.   

1998 04  Uncut (UK) (Front Cover).jpg

On 3/26/2024 at 5:11 AM, zeppcollect said:

still can't believe the amazing works of Third Eye - I'd prefer their productions to all the professional productions that were done between 1995 and 1998.

The Third Eye owner/videographer is a friend of mine. I purchased his original cover art mock-ups for the VHS releases. They just sit in a box like most things but it's cool to review them from time to time. He still tells a great story on how he was able to videotape the '96 Japan shows. We've also discussed all the pro-shot Page/Plant stage footage, and it's a shame that it was last seen moldering in a San Francisco warehouse for reasons that are an equally good story.

11 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

The Third Eye owner/videographer is a friend of mine. I purchased his original cover art mock-ups for the VHS releases. They just sit in a box like most things but it's cool to review them from time to time. He still tells a great story on how he was able to videotape the '96 Japan shows. We've also discussed all the pro-shot Page/Plant stage footage, and it's a shame that it was last seen moldering in a San Francisco warehouse for reasons that are an equally good story.

My guess would be Page’s dislike of his hair on the 95/6 tour and his belly on the 98 tour, along with Planty’s reticence to agree to anything like this 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...