FARMERS' MARKETS: Share Your Local Bounty

Strider

Who Dat!!! I'll have a shrimp remoulade and a mufaletta from Central Market. Or maybe some boudin? Get cooking who dat!!! Turtle Sauce Piquant..mmmmmmm yum. Oh, I just have to say this" "First you make a rue."

I don't know why the board brought up three quote posts???

Yep, and you gotta stir it til your arm falls off! :D

I like Parran's better than CM anymore...probably because its closer to me...My hubby is a WB DiMartino's fan. But it's all good!

Hey Potted, since we are discussing Farmer's Markets, have you been to Freret Street Market?

I have a friend who is an artist and she always displays there. She bugs me constantly to go.

I am going when it starts back up in a few weeks... Sounds like a good time! :)

I heard a radio segment a couple weeks ago on farmers markets. They said that they are trending around the u.s. up to 18,000 markets. Kale sales are way up and greek yogurt as well. There are dairy farms in upstate ny that are now doing well, because of deals with yogurt companies.

Also with the talk of beets...pickled beets are good too. Just boil sliced beets, put em in a jar of vinegar, with onions and alittle sugar. It lessens the soil flavor and brings out the beety flavor. Although regular boiled beets, with that earthy flavor is good too,imo.

Well apple season is near in upstate NY. Great apples, many kinds, also grapes, winter squash, peaches are out now and plums, and tomatoe crops are late this year due to alot of rain. My mother has vineyards in her yard planted by an expert across the road that pays up to $10 a seed for some types. Small black tomatoes, yellow, orange.

I look forward to my winter squash

• 1 year later...

I had mentioned in another thread, my delight in seeing an long abandoned store across the road being renovated, and a Farmers Market announced to be moving in. Double good fortune, it seems. I do grow what everyone says are excellent tomatoes, using only mulched up Oak leaves as fertilizer. The pH doesn't seem right for many other types of vegetables, though - as they won't produce fruit, or taste bitter.

Archived