sugar is evil

slave to zep

10 hours ago, zepscoda said:

.... So I'm now on Day 13 without soda. Cold turkey ...water and coffee ( not adding sugar of course), are my go to drinks now.

I did the math and by my calculations, I was ingesting 6.24 cups of sugar per week at my 2 litters a day consumption. That grossed me out, hopefully enough where I will stay off for good.

Awesome job zepscoda!  That must be tough!  The only time I drink soda (coca-cola) is when I do shots of Kraken.  Which this time of the year is more often.  I only drink maybe half a can, but with the dark rum shots it's still probably too much!  With my coffee I have switched to "So" brand creamer, which is non-dairy coconut creamer.  I get the hazelnut flavor and don't have to put any sweetener in it.  Plus I don't get the phlegm and bad cholesterol that dairy creamer has - and it tastes great!  Congrats on 13 days!

51 minutes ago, Walter said:

Awesome job zepscoda!  That must be tough!  The only time I drink soda (coca-cola) is when I do shots of Kraken.  Which this time of the year is more often.  I only drink maybe half a can, but with the dark rum shots it's still probably too much!  With my coffee I have switched to "So" brand creamer, which is non-dairy coconut creamer.  I get the hazelnut flavor and don't have to put any sweetener in it.  Plus I don't get the phlegm and bad cholesterol that dairy creamer has - and it tastes great!  Congrats on 13 days!

Thanks Walter...it's mind blowing how much sugar and or high fructose corn syrup is in soda. 

On 2/14/2016 at 7:30 PM, zepscoda said:

.... So I'm now on Day 13 without soda. Cold turkey ...water and coffee ( not adding sugar of course), are my go to drinks now.

I did the math and by my calculations, I was ingesting 6.24 cups of sugar per week at my 2 litters a day consumption. That grossed me out, hopefully enough where I will stay off for good.

Congratulations, zepscoda! :D I know the kind of discipline and self-control that's required to pull something like that off! :thumbsup: 

I tend to mostly stay away from sugar, for most of the year. I do indulge on special occasions like Diwali, Christmas, my birthday, my mom's and my dad's birthday (around 4 or 5 times a year, max). 

I did drink some sprite with some Gin for the first time in 3 years, but that was meant to be a tribute to David Bowie, that Saturday evening. It's a long story! :lol: I haven't touched sprite since then and quite frankly, I don't miss that sugary, fizzy shit!

I love drinking tea without any sugar (tastes better without it, if you ask me!). I can't stand coffee. I really depend on that good old natural drink that everyone on this earth has heard of : Water

I also stay away from fruit juices. The only fruity elements in my diet are apples, pears and green grapes. 

I notice that sugar causes me to feel sluggish and I break out into acne, which really annoys me! As long as I behave for most of the year, it's all good! :) 

I won't give up my clear complexion for anything! B) 

Another evil (as far as Indian cuisine is concerned) is that incredibly wretched ingredient Coconut! Hello bad cholesterol and hello bypass surgery! :rolleyes: I mean people add that bloody thing into dishes which have the potential to taste so beautiful and healthy! That friggin ingredient was single-handedly responsible for sending my paternal grandmother to the hospital for a bypass surgery! :wacko: 

I thank my lucky stars day after day that my mom has taught me to cook and eat healthy! Just about a month ago, I shared a recipe for Chana Dal with a forum friend and I urged her not to fall prey to ingredients like coconut! My mom's version (thankfully!) contains oodles of onion, tomato, essential spices, minimal cooking oil and plenty of dal! 

32 minutes ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

I tend to mostly stay away from sugar, for most of the year. I do indulge on special occasions like Diwali, Christmas, my birthday, my mom's and my dad's birthday (around 4 or 5 times a year, max). 

I did drink some sprite with some Gin for the first time in 3 years, but that was meant to be a tribute to David Bowie, that Saturday evening. It's a long story! :lol: I haven't touched sprite since then and quite frankly, I don't miss that sugary, fizzy shit!

I love drinking tea without any sugar (tastes better without it, if you ask me!). I can't stand coffee. I really depend on that good old natural drink that everyone on this earth has heard of : Water

I also stay away from fruit juices. The only fruity elements in my diet are apples, pears and green grapes. 

I notice that sugar causes me to feel sluggish and I break out into acne, which really annoys me! As long as I behave for most of the year, it's all good! :) 

I won't give up my clear complexion for anything! B) 

Another evil (as far as Indian cuisine is concerned) is that incredibly wretched ingredient Coconut! Hello bad cholesterol and hello bypass surgery! :rolleyes: I mean people add that bloody thing into dishes which have the potential to taste so beautiful and healthy! That friggin ingredient was single-handedly responsible for sending my paternal grandmother to the hospital for a bypass surgery! :wacko: 

I thank my lucky stars day after day that my mom has taught me to cook and eat healthy! Just about a month ago, I shared a recipe for Chana Dal with a forum friend and I urged her not to fall prey to ingredients like coconut! My mom's version (thankfully!) contains oodles of onion, tomato, essential spices, minimal cooking oil and plenty of dal! 

The latest science says that cholesterol is not the cause of heart problems and a high fat/low carb/mod protein  diet, like that of 100 years ago, is best as  the fat ( butter, cream, fatty meats etc ) satiate you and you naturally eat less over all, and your body goes into ketosis and burns fat.

Grapes are one of the highest fructose  fruits, berries being the lowest.

Coconut products are actually great for our bodies, I believe.

I am sorry that your grandmother died that way, I don't want to sound rude, but it may not have been her diet. I am no scientist or doctor, but there are studies out there backing this at the moment.  ♥♥♥ Kiwi

4 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Congratulations, zepscoda! :D I know the kind of discipline and self-control that's required to pull something like that off! :thumbsup: 

Thank you Kiwi...day 16 and not a drop. The desire is starting to fade as well. Still getting my caffeine fix from coffee ( no sugar added ) and the sugar free energy shots .

I use to drink tea a lot as a kid, but as I got older, it started giving my a stomach ache.  ..you're right on about water. I'm find myself drinking several pints of ice water per day.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:00 AM, zepscoda said:

Man, that's fantastic! And you worked it out that you're still getting your caffeine in. I knew you could kick it. Feels good. :D 

19 hours ago, slave to zep said:

The latest science says that cholesterol is not the cause of heart problems and a high fat/low carb/mod protein  diet, like that of 100 years ago, is best as  the fat ( butter, cream, fatty meats etc ) satiate you and you naturally eat less over all, and your body goes into ketosis and burns fat.

I am sorry that your grandmother died that way, I don't want to sound rude, but it may not have been her diet. I am no scientist or doctor, but there are studies out there backing this at the moment.  ♥♥♥ Kiwi

My grandmother is still alive. She has since recovered from her surgery. Her arteries were blocked because of her steady diet of coconut oil in the food. Omitting coconut cooking oil from her diet, certainly solved the problem. Her EKG readings were surprisingly good during her physical, last month. Almost her entire family (with the exception of my dad, thanks to my mom's healthy way of cooking!) has heart and cholesterol problems. Oh and my dad's a diabetic and I just follow his steady diet of rotis, sugarless tea, apples, green grapes, pears and dal. With this diet, my dad has gone from having high blood sugar readings to being a borderline diabetic. If it is good enough for him, it is certainly good enough for me, I guess. 

4 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

My grandmother is still alive. She has since recovered from her surgery. Her arteries were blocked because of her steady diet of coconut oil in the food. Omitting coconut cooking oil from her diet, certainly solved the problem. Her EKG readings were surprisingly good during her physical, last month. Almost her entire family (with the exception of my dad, thanks to my mom's healthy way of cooking!) has heart and cholesterol problems. Oh and my dad's a diabetic and I just follow his steady diet of rotis, sugarless tea, apples, green grapes, pears and dal. With this diet, my dad has gone from having high blood sugar readings to being a borderline diabetic. If it is good enough for him, it is certainly good enough for me, I guess. 

I am such an idiot, I don't know why I thought she had passed...... so sorry!

So, the only thing she changed was omitting coconut ? if so, that is really interesting, as everything I have seen about it is positive.

Yes, definitely do what works for you.

I hope I didn't upset you, Kiwi, that's why I put the ♥♥♥

:)

22 minutes ago, slave to zep said:

I am such an idiot, I don't know why I thought she had passed...... so sorry!

So, the only thing she changed was omitting coconut ? if so, that is really interesting, as everything I have seen about it is positive.

Yes, definitely do what works for you.

I hope I didn't upset you, Kiwi, that's why I put the ♥♥♥

:)

Julie, you don't have to apologize at all! I know how hard it can be to recover from something so serious like a bypass surgery and to this day, I think my grandmother is one of the lucky ones! 

How on earth can I be upset with you?! FWIW, I love talking to you and exchanging ideas! :friends: With you, I can always trust that I'll have a pleasant conversation and not get my head bitten off or something!   hug.gif I never knew of the concept of fructose, till you told me. It did give me plenty to think about, honestly. I think it wouldn't hurt if I reduced my intake of green grapes. As the old saying goes 'everything in moderation'. Thanks for starting this topic. I find it interesting and I've definitely learnt quite a bit, to be honest! :) 

1 hour ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Julie, you don't have to apologize at all! I know how hard it can be to recover from something so serious like a bypass surgery and to this day, I think my grandmother is one of the lucky ones! 

How on earth can I be upset with you?! FWIW, I love talking to you and exchanging ideas! :friends: With you, I can always trust that I'll have a pleasant conversation and not get my head bitten off or something!   hug.gif I never knew of the concept of fructose, till you told me. It did give me plenty to think about, honestly. I think it wouldn't hurt if I reduced my intake of green grapes. As the old saying goes 'everything in moderation'. Thanks for starting this topic. I find it interesting and I've definitely learnt quite a bit, to be honest! :) 

glad we're all good! :)

Grapes are only a worry if you are trying to lose weight, otherwise they are much better than lots of other foods like lollies and chips etc

• 1 year later...

I avoid sugary foods as best i can. Since i needed root canal treatment on a tooth. I changed my habits altogether. No fizzy drinks, chocolate EVER. Sonic toothbrush and flossing. I feel a whole lot healthier.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2017 at 5:13 PM, craigled said:

I avoid sugary foods as best i can. Since i needed root canal treatment on a tooth. I changed my habits altogether. No fizzy drinks, chocolate EVER. Sonic toothbrush and flossing. I feel a whole lot healthier.

They say, that eating the Dark Chocolate, without added sugar, can be good for you.

It found that dark chocolate, the kind that contains at least 50 to 70 percent cocoa, lowered blood pressure in all participants, but most notably in those with hypertension.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/jared-bunch-rhythm-of-life/dark-chocolate-for-stress-relief-and-heart-health/

Yeah. I had heard about that before. The way i see it is, Everything is ok in moderation. But to contradict that, How many things are there that you believed to be ok and tests reveal the opposite ?. Just use common sense about what you take in and what you do in general life. Then you should be fine.

6 hours ago, craigled said:

Yeah. I had heard about that before. The way i see it is, Everything is ok in moderation. But to contradict that, How many things are there that you believed to be ok and tests reveal the opposite ?. Just use common sense about what you take in and what you do in general life. Then you should be fine.

This article details how to look for flavanol content in dark chocolate, as it could be lower than you'd want due to different mfgs. processing techniques...

http://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-nutrition/1010/not-all-dark-chocolate-is-created-equal.aspx

On 2/17/2016 at 0:32 PM, slave to zep said:

I think you are correct. My cholesterol levels adjust according my weight. If I'm 20lbs overweight my bad cholesterol sky rockets. 20lbs isn't much but it doesn't matter how I put on 20 extra pounds. In fact when I go to lose weight all I have to do is cut down on beer. I don't eat many sweets but the sugar from beer and wine and other carbs is what increases my weight and thus my bad cholesterol. I still eat red meat, eggs, whatever, I never have to give those  up.

Archived