sugar is evil

slave to zep

Lucky sod. There are tons of women who would kill to have your problem. You should write a book...your money problems would be solved and no worries about having to sell your Zeppelin memorabilia.

Yes, she is. :yesnod:

thank you, strider :)

and yes, agree about what you said to plantpothead!

I guess you are just that one in a thousand or so people who are like that?

but you do say that you don't eat spreads/cakes/sweets, so I guess that is the main reason.

You probably have a really efficient metabolism, too.

I have to rely on a thyroid replacement hormone tablet each day for my metabolism, and it doesn't work nearly as well as the actual thyroid gland. My metabolism seems like it's non-existant! :(

Slave, I hope you don't think for a moment that I am gloating or anything, perish the thought.. I really do wish I could put on weight. I guess I am fortunate to other people (especially my wife). Even when I drank a lot I didn't put weight on. Believe me years ago I would have done anything to have been a couple of stone heavier. So it works both ways I suppose, I do sympathise with people who have problems with weight and metabolism, I believe that it is the way we are made...and we can't change it.

Funny thing I was never heavy, and am pretty thin, no one in my family has diabetes, yet I became afflicted with diabetes about 4 years ago, I manage it pretty well though.

I have good will power.

Slave, I hope you don't think for a moment that I am gloating or anything, perish the thought.. I really do wish I could put on weight. I guess I am fortunate to other people (especially my wife). Even when I drank a lot I didn't put weight on. Believe me years ago I would have done anything to have been a couple of stone heavier. So it works both ways I suppose, I do sympathise with people who have problems with weight and metabolism, I believe that it is the way we are made...and we can't change it.

no, I didn't get the impression that you were gloating :)

I have 2 kids that take after me- constantly watching what they eat and trying to lose weight, and one kid who takes after his father and is stick thin.

All brought up by me - so there is a classic case for nature versus nurture ..... He eats whatever he likes and cannot gain weight, like you.

Funny thing I was never heavy, and am pretty thin, no one in my family has diabetes, yet I became afflicted with diabetes about 4 years ago, I manage it pretty well though.

I have good will power.

I guess, you were as you say, kind of lucky to get the diabetes in one way, because it has made your overall health better. :)

keep doing what you are doing :)

if that were true, why are we having this obesity crisis?

Well in the UK at least obesity rates have been falling for the last 8 years, not that you would know it from some of the press headlines here.

Well in the UK at least obesity rates have been falling for the last 8 years, not that you would know it from some of the press headlines here.

oh I didn't know that! that is good to hear.

same can't be said here or USA :(

• 4 weeks later...

Firstly, I haven't read through all the comments on this thread so sorry if I am a bit slow on catching up.

Has anyone had issues with yeast? Particularly women. I had strep throat at the beginning of the year and took two lots of antibiotics to clear it up, OK good enough...but, since then I have had massive problems with yeast. I've been reading a lot of it and found out that yeast loves sugar. That doesn't help me as I have a sweet tooth and a total carb-aholic.. also while on the subject of antibiotics, the ones that I was put on causes yeast problems. I think it stems from there.

So...I am now on a sugar and yeast detox, I went to the supermarket to get yeast free goodies for myself and picked up some chicken. Nothing fancy, just your bog standard sliced poultry and checked out the ingredients...I couldn't believe when I read that there is sugar present in it! I mean!!!

I have really had my eyes open on the amount of crap in everything, even the stuff you would not have thought in a million years...and it is a crime!

• 6 months later...

So , I was looking on yahoo for some Cam Newton news and saw this.

The cause of the little girls death was not sugar, but the story made me think of this thread.

WTF is wrong with some people ?!?!?

Tennessee couple get 35 years in prison in girl's soda death.

http://news.yahoo.com/tennessee-couple-35-years-prison-girls-soda-death-233916513.html?hl=1&noRedirect=1

I wonder whether it's not an either/or situation. Yes everyone should exercise personal responsibility, and governments should legislate in the interests of greater public good. At the very least, clear easy to understand labels (which Canada does not have for GM foods - more on that in a bit).

One sugar fact I was shocked to find out: Coke has tons of sugar (nine teaspoons per can is it?!). Why? To hide all the salt they put it? Why? So you'll be more thirsty faster and drink more Coke. Source for this (part about Coke starts at 11:05):

Here's a taster about broader processed food issues:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/02/26/172969363/how-the-food-industry-manipulates-taste-buds-with-salt-sugar-fat

If I can use a GM example: US government allowed GM into the public food chain with the reasoning that it was not proven harmful. Countries in the EU, along with Canada and I think Australia among others, said no to many GM foods because they were not proven safe. Huge difference in legislation, huge impact on the public. Farmers in the UK were burning GM crops while in the US the government subsidizes GM farming, and organic farmers have to pay to prove that their crops are organic, for labels, for marketing, etc. Someone's got a finger on the scales here.

Detractors of government 'interference' may point to the fact that consumer demand has resulted in Kraft and Coke using non-GM ingredients in their European products. Supply and demand. Fine. But I still think that laws should give both sides a fair chance to succeed.Source for this:

Don't only ask why organic is so expensive - although that's a legitimate probe to undertake. Ask as well why junk food, GM food, high-fat, high-sodium, high-sugar food is so cheap. There has to at least be a level playing field. I guess the push should come more strongly from citizens, too. Top-bottom meets grassroots - top.E

Edited to add the video sources for info above.

• 2 weeks later...

One sugar fact I was shocked to find out: Coke has tons of sugar (nine teaspoons per can is it?!). Why? To hide all the salt they put it? Why? So you'll be more thirsty faster and drink more Coke. Source for this (part about Coke starts at 11:05):

Source for this:

Don't only ask why organic is so expensive - although that's a legitimate probe to undertake. Ask as well why junk food, GM food, high-fat, high-sodium, high-sugar food is so cheap. There has to at least be a level playing field. I guess the push should come more strongly from citizens, too. Top-bottom meets grassroots - top.E

Corn is regulated by the EPA as an insecticide?! And coke.. Thanks so much for the post. Great videos.

I drank coke like water for the caffeine effect (for work), as a substitute for Diet Coke (aspartame). Until June. I got blood work done. Doc told me I had Diabetes and I was in Stage Critical at blood pressure. The doc threatened meds. I'm a medaphobic.

I said Let's make a deal. No Diabetes meds if.. The doc answered, "I give you 3 months to lose 30 pounds". And since then I have substituted Cokes for Water. I've limited my salt intake.

a1c-diabetes-diagnosis.jpg

My A1C has dropped from 6.9 to 5.7. My Blood pressure from 200/110 to 118/68. I've dropped 75 pounds since I saw that doctor in June. The doctor is now asking me for advice. He said Friday, when I checked in for blood work that he's never seen a turn around. All since I quit cokes. And by the way, no sugar meds, no being in a Diabetic range, no diabetes, and no more blood pressure pills. Gave them up 3 months ago. ;) And no more cokes. :P

• 3 weeks later...

a1c-diabetes-diagnosis.jpg

My A1C has dropped from 6.9 to 5.7. I've dropped 75 pounds since I saw that doctor in June.

Make that 6.9 (June) to 5.7(Sep) to 5.1(Now) on the A1C chart. And make that 80 pounds since June.

http://naturalsociety.com/watch-corporations-renamed-high-fructose-corn-syrup/

They've renamed high fructose corn syrup to try and fool people that read labels. Now branded as fructose in processed foods thanks to the whole issue of the public absolutely avoiding high-fructose corn syrup like the plague. Also there is presence of ultra-toxic mercury within the ingredient.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/26/AR2009012601831.html

Even the co-author of the study, Dr. David Wallinga, warns:

Mercury is toxic in all its forms. Given how much high-fructose corn syrup is consumed by children, it could be a significant additional source of mercury never before considered. We are calling for immediate changes by industry and the [u.S. Food and Drug Administration] to help stop this avoidable mercury contamination of the food supply.

Avoid this fructose (sweetner) whenever possible. It's worse than sugar. Even Hershey's is going back to real sugar over this junk due to public pressure.

Firstly, I haven't read through all the comments on this thread so sorry if I am a bit slow on catching up.

Has anyone had issues with yeast? Particularly women. I had strep throat at the beginning of the year and took two lots of antibiotics to clear it up, OK good enough...but, since then I have had massive problems with yeast. I've been reading a lot of it and found out that yeast loves sugar. That doesn't help me as I have a sweet tooth and a total carb-aholic.. also while on the subject of antibiotics, the ones that I was put on causes yeast problems. I think it stems from there.

So...I am now on a sugar and yeast detox, I went to the supermarket to get yeast free goodies for myself and picked up some chicken. Nothing fancy, just your bog standard sliced poultry and checked out the ingredients...I couldn't believe when I read that there is sugar present in it! I mean!!!

I have really had my eyes open on the amount of crap in everything, even the stuff you would not have thought in a million years...and it is a crime!

Funny I noticed that too. So...........

Best buy a whole chook. Roast it or prepare it yourself. Take the skin off and you have the leanest of meats sans sugar/fat

Funny I noticed that too. So...........

Best buy a whole chook. Roast it or prepare it yourself. Take the skin off and you have the leanest of meats sans sugar/fat

Spot on. the only way to be sugar free is to cook your own meals from scratch. I have started doing it, but still have a way to go. Actually I want to go Paleo....http://www.thepaleoway.com/

I haven't drank soda in 2 days now at home. I had a glass at lunch but that's it. I feel so much better.

It's (soda) the worst addiction I've ever had. If I can go a few more days it would be a miracle... lol...

it's disgusting but I average about 2 liters a day.

I haven't drank soda in 2 days now at home. I had a glass at lunch but that's it. I feel so much better.

It's (soda) the worst addiction I've ever had. If I can go a few more days it would be a miracle... lol...

it's disgusting but I average about 2 liters a day.

oh dear, that is quite a bit. Good on you for trying!

Try some sweetened (without sugar or fructose) sparkling water. You've got the fizz. Some even have caffeine, if that's what you're looking for.

Hey Zepscoda. I was on 2 liters a day as well. If I can do it, you can. Drink that flavored sparkling water as much as you want. No caffeine, no sugar, no sodium to retain that fluid and toxins. You're doing great so far! :thumbsup:

Take my advice. Cheat if you have to. Reward yourself with one or two (not so huge) glasses of soda a week, while weening yourself off of it. If I can do it, I know you can.

The last "soda" or a coke I had was The Kompter Centre, Penang Malaysia in 1991. I think that was the last time I had a Macshite!. I never, ever, ever drink fizzy drinks. I think 2 Litres is a lot... is it?

My neighbour is a soda queen. We worry that in the summer she'll burst or float off B)

The last "soda" or a coke I had was The Kompter Centre, Penang Malaysia in 1991. I think that was the last time I had a Macshite!. I never, ever, ever drink fizzy drinks. I think 2 Litres is a lot... is it?

My neighbour is a soda queen. We worry that in the summer she'll burst or float off B)

It may seem like a lot. And it is, regarding fizzy drinks. But it can easily become the norm depending on what you have before you, what your circumstances are, and what you need to get you by throughout the day. Sometimes caffeine gets us through the day, and those fizzy drinks may be all we have. It comes down to a decision because it really is addictive. Ya know?

I don't condone it now, being on the other end, but it's so easy. Caffeine keeps us awake and vigilant. As for me overcoming that addiction, I am left with sleeplessness. I can't seem to get a grasp on when my mind wishes to sleep. I'm over the addiction, but not the culprit. Not the mindset.

It may seem like a lot. And it is, regarding fizzy drinks. But it can easily become the norm depending on what you have before you, what your circumstances are, and what you need to get you by throughout the day. Sometimes caffeine gets us through the day, and those fizzy drinks may be all we have. It comes down to a decision because it really is addictive. Ya know?

I don't condone it now, being on the other end, but it's so easy. Caffeine keeps us awake and vigilant. As for me overcoming that addiction, I am left with sleeplessness. I can't seem to get a grasp on when my mind wishes to sleep. I'm over the addiction, but not the culprit. Not the mindset.

eemmmm interesting. Would you consider sugary fizzy drinks a major addiction, like tobacco or day I say Heroin?

eemmmm interesting. Would you consider sugary fizzy drinks a major addiction, like tobacco or day I say Heroin?

http://youtu.be/h9nE2spOw_o

:lol: Sabrina the teenage witch turns that dog into a clown.

Sugar touches on that pleasure/reward zone in your brain. Your dopamine levels can spike leaving you wanting more.

I wouldn't say the addiction is like heroin. It's more comparable to the likes of caffeine.

• 1 year later...
On 1/16/2015 at 6:28 PM, apantherfrommd said:

Try some sweetened (without sugar or fructose) sparkling water. You've got the fizz. Some even have caffeine, if that's what you're looking for.

Hey Zepscoda. I was on 2 liters a day as well. If I can do it, you can. Drink that flavored sparkling water as much as you want. No caffeine, no sugar, no sodium to retain that fluid and toxins. You're doing great so far! :thumbsup:

Take my advice. Cheat if you have to. Reward yourself with one or two (not so huge) glasses of soda a week, while weening yourself off of it. If I can do it, I know you can.

.... So I'm now on Day 13 without soda. Cold turkey ...water and coffee ( not adding sugar of course), are my go to drinks now.

I did the math and by my calculations, I was ingesting 6.24 cups of sugar per week at my 2 litters a day consumption. That grossed me out, hopefully enough where I will stay off for good.

4 hours ago, zepscoda said:

.... So I'm now on Day 13 without soda. Cold turkey ...water and coffee ( not adding sugar of course), are my go to drinks now.

I did the math and by my calculations, I was ingesting 6.24 cups of sugar per week at my 2 litters a day consumption. That grossed me out, hopefully enough where I will stay off for good.

Great work!  I can't imagine how hard it has been for you :(  I bet you feel better, or will soon :) 

Archived