Robin Thicke Blurred Lines...A Rip Off?

In the news Robin Thicke has pulled a pre-emptive litigation against both the Marvin Gaye & Funkadelic Estates regarding his hit Blurred Lines. Thicke got the news both camps were considering suing Thicke for copyright infringement due the similarities between Blurred Lines and Marvin Gaye's Got to Give it Up. Funkadelic also is looking for a piece regarding their song Sexy Ways.

I heard all three songs side by side and this is my opinion: Blurred Lines lifted the rhythm and arrangement of Got to Give it Up almost completely. The lyrical delivery is similar to Sexy Ways but that's about it.

Does the Gaye Estate have a case? Yes, Gaye should have so-writing credit on this. Does the Funkadelic Estate have a claim? Hell no!

Thoughts???

In the news Robin Thicke has pulled a pre-emptive litigation against both the Marvin Gaye & Funkadelic Estates regarding his hit Blurred Lines. Thicke got the news both camps were considering suing Thicke for copyright infringement due the similarities between Blurred Lines and Marvin Gaye's Got to Give it Up. Funkadelic also is looking for a piece regarding their song Sexy Ways.

I heard all three songs side by side and this is my opinion: Blurred Lines lifted the rhythm and arrangement of Got to Give it Up almost completely. The lyrical delivery is similar to Sexy Ways but that's about it.

Does the Gaye Estate have a case? Yes, Gaye should have so-writing credit on this. Does the Funkadelic Estate have a claim? Hell no!

Thoughts???

I just listened to Blurred Lines for the first time. IMO, the rhythm and use of a cow bell are very similar to Got to Give it Up. IIRC, John Deacon did something similar when he wrote Another One Bites the Dust. That song's rhythm was very similar to an earlier song, Good Times, by Chic. I don't remember if Chic sued Queen. Another One Bites the Dust's melody and lyrics were very different from Good Times.

Correct me if I'm wrong...Robin is the son of Alan Thicke and Gloria Loring..Alan is Canadian..Alan has at least two sons. I'm not 100% sure if Gloria is Robin's mother. She is a fine singer.

Here's some trivia..Gloria once played the role of Liz Craig on DAYS OF OUR LIVES....she was married to lawyer, Don Craig but left him for Dr. Neil Curtis or vice versa. Gloria/Liz occasionlly sang on that show at Doug's Place..she did a very nice cover of You Were Always On My Mind.

BLURRED LINES is considered the #1 summer song..it's a fun tune....the CD is # 1 of the top 5 cd's here in the Great White North...according to a blurb on Much More ..I love Pharrell and T.I's contributions to this tune and video...

Robin will be performing on MTV Video Awards on Aug 25....

Correct me if I'm wrong...Robin is the son of Alan Thicke and Gloria Loring..Alan is Canadian..Alan has at least two sons. I'm not 100% sure if Gloria is Robin's mother. She is a fine singer.

Here's some trivia..Gloria once played the role of Liz Craig on DAYS OF OUR LIVES....she was married to lawyer, Don Craig but left him for Dr. Neil Curtis or vice versa. Gloria/Liz occasionlly sang on that show at Doug's Place..she did a very nice cover of You Were Always On My Mind.

BLURRED LINES is considered the #1 summer song..it's a fun tune....the CD is # 1 of the top 5 cd's here in the Great White North...according to a blurb on Much More ..I love Pharrell and T.I's contributions to this tune and video...

Ummm? Robin is that you?

That's nice, he is still a piece of shit. Not because he nicked a Marvin Gaye song, changed the lyrics and called it his own, hey everyone does that. My issue is the jerk off has the BALLS to sue the Gaye estate. That would be akin to me breaking into your home, stealing your jewelry, and then suing YOU because I stole your jewelry.

Robin Thicke is a no talent piece of shit just like his father.

From reading the news blurbs on this, what surprised me was the legal view on the music, is sound or feeling. I thought it was more mathematical, in regards to actual notes. After listening to the songs, I hear the bass line and spacing of the bass line being similar. The bass player on the Marvin Gaye song actually adds to the line and plays it well, whereas the robin thicke track stays the same and on an iPad, sounds sort of like a keyboard bass. With bass lines in disco music though, aren't those descending bass lines a standard?

On the robin thicke track, he also has a busy cowbell percussion, maybe that's the main difference. On the Marvin track, why would they put that club chatter on the song....maybe sounded good at a disco, but annoying to listen to for fans who bought the record.

After 140 million views of video and 4 million tracks sold, it's a money issue now. Very strange though, the new artist suing the legendary artist, as a defense.

In my grain of salt view, I wonder how we are gonna hear the next good rock band, when the music industry seems so messed up.

Well, of course not, I was just curious what everyone thought about the balls on this motherfucker!

I finally had a chance to listen to the song and see the video. This presents in a nutshell everything that is wrong with pop music/club culture(now there's an oxymoron) today. The song/video is vapid, sexist, and filled with that bored, entitled sense of ennui that so much of today's young people wrap themselves in.

Of course, the guys get to keep their clothes on while the girls have to parade around naked and act "sexy", which really isn't that sexy at all...it's more of a turn-off. Real men like the challenge of an intelligent woman who will make the guy put forth a little effort and intelligence before taking her clothes off. If a girl is falling over herself and willing to debase herself for a douchebag who can barely string two syllables together just standing there in a fancy suit, that doesn't speak well for her standards. This is the HELLHOLE that modern clubs have become and why I run screaming the other way if someone tries to suggest we visit one of these chamber-of-horrors. Oh, and pay $300 a bottle for some trendy bullshit vodka while some coked-out wannabe Kim Kardashian dances on your table and knocks your bottle over with her stillettos? No thank you.

Number one song of the summer?!? How our standards have fallen.

Also, a memo to producers...give Pharrell Williams a rest! Look, I liked N.E.R.D. too...but does he have to be in every fucking video?

I finally had a chance to listen to the song and see the video. This presents in a nutshell everything that is wrong with pop music/club culture(now there's an oxymoron) today. The song/video is vapid, sexist, and filled with that bored, entitled sense of ennui that so much of today's young people wrap themselves in.

Of course, the guys get to keep their clothes on while the girls have to parade around naked and act "sexy", which really isn't that sexy at all...it's more of a turn-off. Real men like the challenge of an intelligent woman who will make the guy put forth a little effort and intelligence before taking her clothes off. If a girl is falling over herself and willing to debase herself for a douchebag who can barely string two syllables together just standing there in a fancy suit, that doesn't speak well for her standards. This is the HELLHOLE that modern clubs have become and why I run screaming the other way if someone tries to suggest we visit one of these chamber-of-horrors. Oh, and pay $300 a bottle for some trendy bullshit vodka while some coked-out wannabe Kim Kardashian dances on your table and knocks your bottle over with her stillettos? No thank you.

Number one song of the summer?!? How our standards have fallen.

Also, a memo to producers...give Pharrell Williams a rest! Look, I liked N.E.R.D. too...but does he have to be in every fucking video?

Spot on!!!

As my wife said, "Led Zeppelin fans are pissed about Robin Thicke lifting someone else's song?" :lol:

I agree, the litigation aspect of the story is the part that I don't get.

Oh no, I agree, Zeppelin were at fault for some of that shit no doubt, however they never tried to sue Willie Dixon or Jake holmes. Also, why is Zeppelin always the scape goat but the Beatles, Stones, Faces, and now Robin Thicke absolved from their thievery? Double standard???

Archived