Australia vs. United States: Anger rises over Chris Lane murder

Strider

Okay....

We've both obviously seen just a little more of life than you.

Thats a very presumptuous and sanctimonious statement.

However, I am very grateful I live in Australia, where I don't have to constantly see, or experience the "little more of life".

Thats a very presumptuous and sanctimonious statement.

However, I am very grateful I live in Australia, where I don't have to constantly see, or experience the "little more of life".

Good for you.

Btw, the 'anger' described by some of us on this thread was never directed at fellow forum members.

Jeeze.

He should at least express his condolences to the family of the murdered Australian college student, this is after all an international incident. The White House reaction thus far has been that they are "not familiar" with the murder, i.e. "no comment".

Though the fact still remains, what exactly was the President to say in this circumstance?

Btw, the 'anger' described by some of us on this thread was never directed at fellow forum members.

I realise that ..... however you and SteveAJones jumped all over me when I was just trying to get a little respect and dignity for my fellow countryman. Remember, we are saddaned by his death.

I have great respect for Strider and also Slave to Zep, they are both my friends. I know they are both friends of yours too, so if they like you .... you can't be too bad ;):lol::friends:

Although I can't say the same for Mister Jones, who I see has just put me on Perma Ignore, just because he discovered i'm Australian.

Oh well, Jules, Reggie and I can be Aussie criminals together :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hahahahahahaha ......... what a pathetically laughable little man he is.

Oh .... and please reply and quote me :hysterical:

I didn't realize you are an Australian member of this forum. Now that I do, it explains a lot.

Whoopie Cat: Permanent Ignore <click>

OMG ...... I nearly fell on the floor laughing when I read that.

Shame you can't see this post and to know how often you reply to me at RO.

I'm sorry, i've hijacked this thread. I'll stop now.

I realise that ..... however you and SteveAJones jumped all over me when I was just trying to get a little respect and dignity for my fellow countryman. Remember, we are saddaned by his death.

I have great respect for Strider and also Slave to Zep, they are both my friends. I know they are both friends of yours too, so if they like you .... you can't be too bad ;):lol::friends:

Although I can't say the same for Mister Jones, who I see has just put me on Perma Ignore, just because he discovered i'm Australian.

Oh well, Jules, Reggie and I can be Aussie criminals together :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hahahahahahaha ......... what a pathetically laughable little man he is.

Oh .... and please reply and quote me :hysterical:

Whoopie, please. If I jump all over you, you'll know it.

That's the last word.

Will you all please get off your soap boxes, stop your comparisons, your political views, your gun right beliefs, your black versus whites and have the decency and the dignity to focus on the life and memorial of Christopher Lane!!!!!

It's not about Zimmerman/Martin, it's not about which political party you favour, nor how many kids your citizens should be allowed to have and it's not about whether you believe it's your right to have five thousand friggin guns hidden under your bed.

Just for once .... get the fuck over yourselves!!!!!!

Wow! I'm actually embarrassed at what you both just said

and disgusted!

A little harsh perhaps, Whoopie Cat?

Excuse me, but as the OP, I'LL decide what this thread is about, thank you very much. You want to remember and memorialize Chris Lane, fine. But you have no right to criticize others for the discussion...for that is exactly my intent with this this thread: an outlet for the disgust and anger many people feel over this senseless murder and what it does or does not portend for our society as a whole. Given the fact that a former government official of Australia had almost immediately called out the NRA and suggested a boycott of the US, I was moved to contemplate whether his anger was directed at the right problem and thought others here might join in the discussion and offer their own viewpoints.

You may not like all the views shared here about the case but the people have every right to express them and this is exactly the thread to do it in.

Now, about my post yesterday suggesting a limit on who can and cannot have kids. Obviously that is an unworkable and probably unconstitutional approach. I was having a discussion with some friends the night before about how easy people can be convinced to give up certain freedoms when they are afraid and they think it will make them safer. My post yesterday was a sort of social experiment...to show how easy it is to start down that path to more government control and totalitarianism, even under the guise of "for the good of the country", when you feel threatened.

You can take away all the guns...you can take away all the drugs...it still won't eradicate war or murder. Murder has been around since Caine slew Abel...or since Ugg stoned Muk over some prehistoric dame. It's part of man's DNA...evolutionary biology. Only some men and societies have sublimated the urge better than others and developed other outlets for aggression...sports, for example.

Democracy is a messy concept. Always has been...always will be. As much as it would be nice to live in a perfect peaceful society, there are always going to be rough edges in any FREE society. People will make mistakes. People will give in to their urges. A terrorist will slip thru the cracks. A kid will shoot someone for no apparent reason.

That's the risk inherent in any free and open society that relies on the people, not the government, to know what's best for them. As Benjamin Franklin once said, once you start trading liberties for safety, very soon you'll have neither.

So no, I'm not calling for forced abortions and mandatory parental testing...yet, hehehe.

You can take away all the guns...you can take away all the drugs...it still won't eradicate war or murder. Murder has been around since Caine slew Abel...or since Ugg stoned Muk over some prehistoric dame. It's part of man's DNA...evolutionary biology. Only some men and societies have sublimated the urge better than others and developed other outlets for aggression...sports, for example.

:hurrah: And we won't evolve beyond this. We are hard wired, we solve some problems, but other pop up. Kind of like "whack-a-mole." ^_^

I believe Whoopie has a valid point, sure the word anger is in the title but that being said we did stray from the main point of the topic pretty far...sorry about that Whoopie.

Steve, you know I have a certain amount of respect for you however what I don't understand is your whole "talk to the hand" (permanent ignore) you pull on some people. Sure, some people who have been abusive deserve it, but Whoopie? Either way that is your choice, but I just don't understand how you can be so articulate one moment and then so closed off and inflexible the next. Anyway, you are a good chap Steve and should I ever go to Tokyo for a seminar I will be sure to look you up, maybe we could do sushi!!!

Ps. Whoopie, same offer goes to you except maybe we can meet at an Outback, Joke, please don't kill me over that one. I have an Aussie friend and I love to rib her by always suggesting we meet at The Outback for lunch, man does that set her off :dont:

whoopie, i understand what you are saying about not wanting to forget about the family in mourning, however i think this thread is not for that.

the memorial day was very touching. i saw it on the news. so sad. i just don't know how anyone ever gets over losing a child .... and when it's because of murder, it must be so much worse. and then to find out your child was killed for sport .... i just don't know.

they said they raised $200 k already , and want to set up a foundation in his name.

Racist bully, who has been duly reported.

Forum guidelines:

"There will be no racial, ethnic, gender based insults or any other personal discriminations."
"There will be no posts meant to offend or hurt any other member, in a manner which is offensive or inflammatory."

I didn't realize you are an Australian member of this forum. Now that I do, it explains a lot.

Whoopie Cat: Permanent Ignore <click>

1) To the family and friends of Chris Lane,sorry doesn't make much of difference in the murder of your son.Another senless death of a fine young man.

2) I posted a website where folks from all over the world could help with Chris coming home and have a proper funeral.

should i report this?

how closed/narrow minded can you get!

it is beyond me why this guy has not been banned.

Report it,STZ.

We should be damn grateful that this site allows us to express our opinions,even if don'e agree with them.

:rolleyes:

1) To the family and friends of Chris Lane,sorry doesn't make much of difference in the murder of your son.Another senless death of a fine young man.

2) I posted a website where folks from all over the world could help with Chris coming home and have a proper funeral.

Report it,STZ.

We should be damn grateful that this site allows us to express our opinions,even if don'e agree with them.

i just don't see how he can think of what he said as being not only ok, but right ....

what if he had said " oh, i didn't realise you were black/asian/ , now i do, it explains a lot " etc?

planted, we are not much better than you at this stuff.

we actually copy you .... our young boys and girls .... they all listen to the same music, dress the same, walk the same .... most young aussie guys are wanna be american " gangstas " ....

i hate it.

i hate all of this.

strider is right, imho, and it is exactly what i said earlier in the thread .... we talk to each other differently, we treat each other differently - without respect, because it's ALL ABOUT ME!

you were ahead of me in line, but the attendant is asking me what i'd like - do i say, " oh no, he was before me " nup, i'll just go ahead and order. that little old lady is walking too slow - i'll just push past her, and say " get outa the way you old bag *&%$*@ ...." i need some new shoes, will i get a job, *&%* that, i'll just steal yours, maybe take your blue ray player while i'm at it, get me some drugs, hell yeah! ....

i know things can't always stay the same, but as i said before, if you look back to earlier days - the 30's, 40's, 50's ... watch the old tv shows and movies, you will see that teenagers always rebelled a bit, but they still respected others, and others belongings.

young kids have BAD role models. we need some adults to be adults and let these kids see there is another way.

we have to stop making movies and tv shows that perpetuate these types of " gangsta " characters.

Our town is predominantly white and I had to laugh the other day when I heard a white kid outside the library on his cell phone talking about his 'home boy.' If these wannabe 'gangstas' ever took a walk in Oakland on 105th & Edes on a Saturday night they'd most likely shit their pants. Dumb little fuckheads.

You don't have to be a tree-hugging liberal to know the NRA is out-of-whack and just a little paranoid.

I am on the side of law-and-order and when I hear the police complain about the NRA, that makes me think twice about that organization. As I have said many times, support for the 2nd Ammendment and support for the NRA doesn't always go hand-in-hand.

Which police dept. are you talking about? Chicago? New York? San Francisco? Washington DC? All run by democrats who refuse to crack down on criminals.

I'm an NRA member and if it wasn't for them then the crackpot gun grabbers would be running amuck. It feels SO GOOD to thwart those bastards in their misguided do-gooder-ness. Out of whack and paranoid? Give me a break.

Report it,STZ.

apparently he has three of us aussies on his little list .... i didn't agree with his opinion of the pope ....

i often disagree with people on here, but ignoring is just, well, IGNORant, imho.

Perhaps the scene went over your head but I'm here to help. Eastwood's character knows full well the world is full of people who respect nothing but the barrel of a gun. Once he establishes that is the case here he obliges them. Eastwood's character is neither a gangster nor wannabe gangster; he told them upfront he is someone they should not

have messed with.

Redrum wasn't referring to Clint Eastwood's character, he was talking about the wigga that is with the girl when the three blacks accost them.

Racist bully, who has been duly reported.

Forum guidelines:

"There will be no racial, ethnic, gender based insults or any other personal discriminations."

"There will be no posts meant to offend or hurt any other member, in a manner which is offensive or inflammatory."

You should talk Reggie... Practice what you preach.

Archived