HEART & JASON BONHAM'S LZE @ The Greek Theatre August 22, 2013

Strider

On my way home from the Heart/Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience concert at the Greek Theatre in Hollywood tonight.

Definitely a much more rocking show than the last time I saw Heart. In 1981 I went to the Texxas Jam at the Houston Astrodome with some Army buddies. The lineup was, from beginning to end, The Records(or was it the Rockets?), Foghat, Blue Öyster Cult, Heart, REO Speedwagon. Coming after BÖC, Heart needed to rock. Instead they played a set heavy on mellow, weepy power ballads. They bored me to tears so much, that I swore off them from that point on...never bought another album from them or saw a Heart concert again. When even REO Speedwagon makes you look wimpy, you know you have problems.

But with the great performance at the Kennedy Center Honors and good reviews from friends who had seen Heart recently, I decided now was the time to end my Heart embargo and give them another chance. Another chance to see Jason Bonham was just a little bonus.

Thanks to traffic, I arrived late and missed half of Jason's set. The songs I did hear were "Nobody's Fault But Mine", "The Ocean", "When the Levee Breaks", and "Whole Lotta Love". I had seen them before and they sounded about the same...with the same positives and negatives as before. "When the Levee Breaks" was the highlight. They cut out the middle theremin part of WLL...probably due to time constraints. There's a 10:30pm curfew at the Greek on weeknights. Jason's set ended around 8:25.

At about 8:40-8:45pm. Heart began their set with "Barracuda". "Heartless" followed after that, and they continued going thru the nuggets of the Heart songbook..."Magic Man", "Kick It Out", "Dog & Butterfly". Yes, they played some of those sappy 80s songs, but they closed their set with a fine "Crazy on You". It was now 9:50pm and time for the moment everyone was waiting for...the encore of Led Zeppelin songs with Jason Bonham et al.

Here is the complete encore in order:

1. Battle of Evermore

2. Misty Mountain Hop

3. Immigrant Song

4. Rain Song

5. Kashmir

6. Stairway to Heaven

Suffice to say, they knocked it out of the park. Ann Wilson may not look like she did in 1976, but she can still belt out a tune. She still has that voice. That's the edge that Heart has over any others who try to do Led Zeppelin songs, including the myriad of LZ tribute bands out there: invariably the weakness of these bands is the vocals and Heart's Ann Wilson trumps all other vocalists when it comes to singing Led Zeppelin.

So yes, I give a thumbs up to the show and yes, there were some emotional moments where I felt my eyes getting moist. I can wholeheartedly recommend you see this tour pairing when it hits your town.

That's all for now...I need sleep. Three concerts in three nights...with a fourth one Friday.

So yes, I give a thumbs up to the show and yes, there were some emotional moments where I felt my eyes getting moist. I can wholeheartedly recommend you see this tour pairing when it hits your town.

For us in the UK we have more chance to see Led Zeppelin

First pf all... I love Heart ... Always have... Ever since my older brother (who's a total jock and knows nothing about music) accidentally bought the Magic Man 45 thinking it was Rubberband Man by The Spinners...

I saw them only once ... Back in 1990 on the Bad Animals Tour in Worcestor Mass.

I've never heard a more power vocalist as Ann Wilson was that night. It was unreal.

We bought our tickets the day of the show, so we were sitting in the upper balcony. They weren't the greatest seats.

But they turned out to be great because I could see the entire floor.. Anyway, she let out this one line (in the opener Bad Animals) that I could see the entire audience sway. She bowled them over.. Everyone was pushed back...

No I wasn't high ....

I'll never forget it.. Ann was actually extremely heavy at this time (which was kept hidden in the videos). There was a collective gasp when she first walked out onstage... then another gasp 2 minutes later with this unbelievable line... I've never heard her sound as incredible as this night..

But, I have mixed emotions about this whole thing.. I can't quite pinpoint why but it isn't siting right with me..

What they did at The Kennedy Center Honors was beautiful. This seems a bit much..

Reading Strider's very positive review is encouraging.. But I'm going to stay away.

^^^

What exactly about it doesn't sit right with you, chase? I'm curious.

It's not as if they're going thru the motions. If anything, "Stairway to Heaven" was even better than at the Kennedy Center...certainly the guitar solo was. Heart obviously enjoys playing Zeppelin and it comes thru in their performance and demeanor. The band sounds kick ass...better than they've sounded in years. And the tickets are more than reasonable...I only paid $20 for mine.

There were plenty of moments where Ann's voice knocked the crowd back just like in the old days, and nobody high kicks with a guitar like Nancy Wilson. Still sexy after all these years.

If it helps with your decision making process, here's the entire set list from the night, starting with Jason's set.

1. Rock and Roll

2. Black Dog

3. Over the Hills and Far Away

4. What Is and What Should Never Be

5. Nobody's Fault But Mine

6. The Ocean

7. When the Levee Breaks

8. Whole Lotta Love

Heart:

1. Barracuda

2. Heartless

3. What About Love

4. Magic Man

5. Kick It Out

6. Mistral Wind

7. Even It Up

8. Dog & Butterfly

9. I Need You to Turn To (Elton John cover)

10. These Dreams

11. Alone

12. Dear Old America

13. Crazy On You

Encore with Jason Bonham and choir:

14. Battle of Evermore

15. Misty Mountain Hop

16. Immigrant Song

17. The Rain Song

18. Kashmir

19. Stairway to Heaven

Maybe some clips will help...I'll see if there are any up.

Thanks for posting all those videos Strider.

I'll go through them. I have no doubt they sound amazing.

It's probably me and I'm sure most will disagree.

I think what kind of bothers me is I don't get why Heart is the (self) appointed designated substitute Led Zeppelin go to band..

A and E had a Led Zeppelin Biography where there's more interview footage of Heart than just about anyone.. Just seems odd to me.

Now Jason is talking about doing a Hologram Drum Solo Duet with his Father.

I'm just not interested in any of it.. If people are, that's great.

^^^

I don't think Heart has said anything about them being the go-to Led Zeppelin substitute band. They like Led Zeppelin and like playing their songs, but they've never said they were the only ones who could play Zeppelin...they have never said don't listen to other tribute bands.

Heck, I am one of the biggest detractors to the entire "tribute band" craze and wasn't that big a Heart fan, either, so count me as being very surprised I enjoyed myself as much as I did the other night. I didn't watch that A & E doc but I'm sure it was more a case of the filmmakers lack of imagination than a case of Heart annointing themselves. I am sure Heart would defer to Jason and Jimmy as being Keepers of the Flame.

The good news is that Heart saves the Zep for the encore, so if you like Heart and just want to see Heart playing Heart songs, you can still go and enjoy the show and leave at the encore.

^^^

I don't think Heart has said anything about them being the go-to Led Zeppelin substitute band. They like Led Zeppelin and like playing their songs, but they've never said they were the only ones who could play Zeppelin...they have never said don't listen to other tribute bands.

Heck, I am one of the biggest detractors to the entire "tribute band" craze and wasn't that big a Heart fan, either, so count me as being very surprised I enjoyed myself as much as I did the other night.

I didn't watch that A & E doc but I'm sure it was more a case of the filmmakers lack of imagination than a case of Heart annointing themselves. I am sure they would defer to Jason and Jimmy as being Keepers of the Flame.

That's a fair point. Obviously Ann and Nancy weren't involved in editing the A and E special..

I never said I was being completely rational. It just doesn't feel right to me..Never has.

Self appointed was the wrong way to word it.. But they're certainly riding the wave,

The Kennedy Center Honors was a special event. Turning into a nightly thing seems wrong.

Ann wore her Bonzo derby hat at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction..

I'm sure her intentions are good. But yeah, it kind of annoyed me.

I respect your opinion and if you enjoyed the show that's cool with me..

I'm not a big Tribute band fan either.. Jason was playing pretty close to where I live.

A friend of mine wanted to go. But I just had no interest in it..

But I'd go see Black Country Communion in a heartbeat... even with the "voice of rock" strutting like there's no tomorrow.

Hi there! I am a Heart fan also...but am a bit biased...they started out in my home town and even played one of my high school dances! What drew me to them was their " duality" which is what they themselves loved about Led Zeppelin...their acoustic and electric sides. I have seen them many times over the past 37 years...and yes,,,even Heart themselves admit those mid 80's weren't their favorite years...but in live performances they have never let me down. They are long time admirers of the music of Led Zeppelin as we all are and definitely sing those songs because of the fans they are..and not to cash in on any recent popularity they received from the KCH. They certainly do have their own large./loyal fan base. FYI - last year Ann and Nancy published a great autobiography called Kicking and Dreaming....I highly recommend it...as it truly gets to the "heart" of Heart.

Archived